Instruction on YouTube - Critiques

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
After being educated on proper driver setup over the last day, and experiencing some trackman based numbers to better understand why, I found myself scouring YouTube for PGA instructors attempting to clear the air on driver attack angle. While I found it interesting to see all the different takes on what/why/how, it was also kind of frustrating not to chat about the logic with anyone.

Seems like THP is the perfect place to discuss, and this thread was born. I think it's best to keep the videos in spoilers to allow for faster page loading, but I'd love to use this thread as a place where we can discuss interesting videos we watch from various instructors. I'll start.

Spoiler

I came upon this trying to better understand making upwards contact on the driver. He's got a solution that allows the weight to begin well out on the front leg, transition a bit in the back swing, and then flow through into the ball. With an iron, it seems quite steep which should produce a nice negative attack angle. With a wood, it's forward a bit, but the point of contact is still slightly downward. Then with the driver, much of his setup is well behind the ball, which allows him to hit up through contact.

What are your thoughts on this "braced tilt low" concept?

That was a good video Dan. Some really good swing thoughts in there and ones I can relate to. I would interested to see how it works for you.

I am still going to check out that Andrew Rice and see what he has to offer.

I like the way he speaks about bracing for the move through the impact zone. Simplifies a lot of things in a golf swing, to often I get caught up with detail overload and all the moving parts. It makes a lot of sense why we tee the driver off the front foot and see how it works in the video.

Thanks for sharing, great swing thoughts here. I like the explanation, when I am striking the ball well this is how it feels. Good stuff to be thinking of moving forward.

Very nice video Dan, similar and will look at it this afternoon. Not sure about the 60/40 piece but will be thinking about it.

Love Shawn Clement's vids. I have both his DVD sets. Lots of good, practical advice on how to swing. I used his style swing for my first full year of playing (last year) and did OK with it. Plus, he's the kind of instructor who's always in the forum on his website, responding to questions and giving advice/tips.

EDIT: Dan, you also probably want to chat with Wadesworld about the braced tilt, as he's a big Clement fan and he seemed to swing pretty well in the 2013 MC :act-up:

I know Crossfield's club reviews leave a lot to be desired, but I love his swing fix and lesson videos. Mark does a great job of explaining the different moving parts of the golf swing and how everything ultimately affects club path and face angle.

I know Crossfield's club reviews leave a lot to be desired, but I love his swing fix and lesson videos. Mark does a great job of explaining the different moving parts of the golf swing and how everything ultimately affects club path and face angle.

My original intentions of this thread were to share a video and critique, not critique those who teach on YouTube.

Monte Scheinblum's a really good one to look into Dan. His plane and release by feel video is really really solid.

Monte Scheinblum's a really good one to look into Dan. His plane and release by feel video is really really solid.

Hopefully you get a chance to share a video here so we can critique it and offer thoughts. I'd enjoy that.

Someone mentioned Crossfield earlier. My swing had really gotten screwed up over the winter, and I'd tried a number of things, including some stuff working with an instructor. While the two lessons I took were useful in learning where I wanted to be at various points in the swing, I wasn't anywhere near getting myself in those positions.

I started trying to go through the basics, starting from scratch, and I found this video on posture. Worked through what was in this video, and have had two of my best sessions at the range I've had in a long, long time.

Spoiler

The fact that my instructor didn't catch what, in retrospect, were pretty obvious issues with setup is a discussion for another thread. But I really did find that this video helped me a lot.

Hopefully you get a chance to share a video here so we can critique it and offer thoughts. I'd enjoy that.

Difficult from phone but...

[video=youtube_share;-FH5r5_tROU]http://youtu.be/-FH5r5_tROU[/video]

To go back and answer Dan's question from his first post, the "braced tilt" that Clement discusses in his vid is an exaggerated reverse K, but it's a great tip and very helpful to golfers who have trouble with the weight transfer, hanging back on the rear foot, etc. Presetting a bit more weight forward sets the body up in a decent position to get that weight back forward on the downswing. You'll notice that he really promotes a big hip turn, which also helps many with transferring the weight.

One big thing with this swing is understanding that Clement feels that the sternum notch is the low point of the swing. If your ball is in the center of your stance with irons, then with the braced tilt your sternum notch would be pointed in front of the ball, giving you contact with the ball first, then the ground for a solid strike. If you're hitting driver, the sternum notch is behind the ball if it's teed up in line with your big toe. So your driver would hit it's low point of the arc somewhere around the middle of your stance, then hit the ball on an upward angle.

His videos very much promote a swinger's swing, vs. a hitter's swing. A big concept with him is swinging and releasing to the target, and keeping that in mind, instead of being ball bound.

Like so many teaching pros, SC tips leave a few things out and will help a small percentage of the golf base. His video and tips are good, I'm not saying otherwise. Swinging into the inside of the right foot is great. A firm left side is good and hitting down and thru is excellent.

The bracing into the left is where a great many will fall short. They will slide, they will forget to rotate the hips, they'll over correct and end up hanging back. I think there are some that could benefit from his tips but not the majority.

Spoiler
[video=youtube_share;-FH5r5_tROU]http://youtu.be/-FH5r5_tROU[/video]

This is one of my favorite videos - when I'm working on the range and things feel a bit off, I'll often stand up to check to see if I'm swinging back on plane.

Really interesting concept of swinging on plane. He's killing me with the cargo pants hahaha, but I'll definitely simulate that the next time I've got a club in my hands.

Really interesting concept of swinging on plane. He's killing me with the cargo pants hahaha, but I'll definitely simulate that the next time I've got a club in my hands.

It turned into a running joke in several of his videos haha. Dude can flat out kill it.

Like so many teaching pros, SC tips leave a few things out and will help a small percentage of the golf base. His video and tips are good, I'm not saying otherwise. Swinging into the inside of the right foot is great. A firm left side is good and hitting down and thru is excellent.

The bracing into the left is where a great many will fall short. They will slide, they will forget to rotate the hips, they'll over correct and end up hanging back. I think there are some that could benefit from his tips but not the majority.

This is an assessment I was waiting to hear. Hard to put it into words like you have, but I certainly believe that a lot of his moves will cause some major disasters when the average golfer tries to implement. With that big weight transfer to allow for compression, I can see a big percentage end up just coming in steep and hitting way heavy.

This is an assessment I was waiting to hear. Hard to put it into words like you have, but I certainly believe that a lot of his moves will cause some major disasters when the average golfer tries to implement. With that big weight transfer to allow for compression, I can see a big percentage end up just coming in steep and hitting way heavy.

I pre set his position for a knock down shots and if you don't clear the hips it becomes a dead pull

Getting the right hip turn has been a struggle for me, but months of working on just that move it feels right finally. With it I'm able to avoid the slide you were talking about FK. Once I got it it was weird to feel how stable and strong it stays through impact.

Serving as the "Average golfer" here, I can say that I've had trouble when I've tried to use SC's cues. Just doesn't click for me. Have friends who swear by his videos/DVDs though - goes to show that golf is a very personalized game.

Serving as the "Average golfer" here, I can say that I've had trouble when I've tried to use SC's cues. Just doesn't click for me. Have friends who swear by his videos/DVDs though - goes to show that golf is a very personalized game.

I think this is a big thing I look for in both swing improvement videos and instructors. It's very important to me to find the guy who can adapt to the uniqueness of our swings vs the the guy who has what he believes to be a functioning system and will work tirelessly to change a swing to adapt to his system.

Small changes always seem to yield the best results. I'm sure there is a line drawn where players are fresh enough into the game where sweeping changes are the best method of teaching, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm working with what I've got from here on out.

Working this tip today--one of my biggest problems is throwing that right hip around too much.

Working this tip today--one of my biggest problems is throwing that right hip around too much.

Working on that one myself for the same reason.

Monte single-handedly stopped me from giving up on golf. He makes it so simple. His blog and Youtube videos are priceless.

Back