Instruction on YouTube - Critiques

Saw this one today while looking for help with staying connected and as an added bonus it made me realise how much I'm starting my takeaway (and swinging) with my arms.

The tee peg in the butt end pointing at the belly while going back and through is definitely something I'm going to work on, esp as can be done pretty much anywhere.

Working on that one myself for the same reason.

One of the benefits to having my own Golf room with a net is being able to use some ridiculous looking training aids :alien:. I am using the bender stick with the backside touching it through the swing to prevent me throwing the hips forward/popping up/ etc. Slicefixer used to have us put an old lawn chair behind us and have the backside touching it for the same effect. Really improving my contact with the hips staying back and not loosing my spine angle!

Back to YouTube for some interesting thoughts on using an alignment stick to help swing path.

I might have to give this a run soon. I end up shallow when I drive through the ball for some reason, especially with my wedges.

Another really interesting way of utilizing alignment sticks, this time to represent takeaway and being on plane at the top of your swing.

I'm going to give this one a try as well -- I'm a very big fan of things I can do individually to confirm proper alignment, and I think this could be a great tool.

Monte Scheinblum's a really good one to look into Dan. His plane and release by feel video is really really solid.

I like Monte's work too. Though he and Shawn don't use the same terminology, they really share almost identical views of the golf swing.

Like so many teaching pros, SC tips leave a few things out and will help a small percentage of the golf base. His video and tips are good, I'm not saying otherwise. Swinging into the inside of the right foot is great. A firm left side is good and hitting down and thru is excellent.

The bracing into the left is where a great many will fall short. They will slide, they will forget to rotate the hips, they'll over correct and end up hanging back. I think there are some that could benefit from his tips but not the majority.

Well, Freddie, having spent some time with Shawn, I can assure you he's not blind to the fact that doing something like sliding will ruin the swing. It takes executing all the concepts of the swing to have success (or at least most of them).

I'm sure if you post on his forum and discuss it with him, he'd have a good answer on what in his teachings will prevent the slide, or how to fix it should a golfer start doing it. I suspect he'd say that if you review his videos on the takeaway and backswing, you'd see how if executed correctly, it'd be nearly impossible to slide. Additionally, if the golfer is target-focused and releases the club to the target, it'd be very difficult not to clear the hips. In fact, he addresses many of the things that can go wrong during the video.

That's not to say that everything he says is perfect. But isn't this criticism true of every video "tip?" If another PGA pro advocates setting up in a less-braced position, there's likely a huge number of golfers which will ruin that advice by staying on their right side and never get through onto their left side and end up with a held-off OTT move. (I know, because I've always struggled with this and I've never braced as much as Shawn would want because my local pro had different ideas)

I think this is a big thing I look for in both swing improvement videos and instructors. It's very important to me to find the guy who can adapt to the uniqueness of our swings vs the the guy who has what he believes to be a functioning system and will work tirelessly to change a swing to adapt to his system.

Small changes always seem to yield the best results. I'm sure there is a line drawn where players are fresh enough into the game where sweeping changes are the best method of teaching, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm working with what I've got from here on out.

Dan, I suspect if you went to see Shawn, there'd be very little he'd change about your swing. He might give you some different ways to think about the things you're trying to improve, but I doubt he'd say "this is the only method to get there." He often talks about how Nicklaus achieves the clearing of the hips differently from Rory for example.

In my view, there are some things people have to remember when using videos for instruction:
1) It's impossible to cover every scenario with which a golfer might ruin what the video is trying to convey
2) It's important to realize there may be other components to the suggested swing which are important to achieve the desired result. In other words, you can't necessarily take a video from one instructor and marry it with the video from a different instructor. They may have completely different philosophies, and by trying to marry them, you may be leaving out an important component. You have to look at the whole picture.
3) When things go wrong (and they will), the quickest way to get back on track is to have a pro look at your swing and diagnose the problem.

P.S. This video doesn't really have anything to do with what we're discussing. I just wanted to post it because I LOVE the low-stinger he hits at the end.

Last edited:
Check out this new video I stumbled on.The guys name is Mark crossfield.Its something ive never seen talked about in this particular fashion.Most high handicaps never have a stabilize(slow down) when they fire the hips.Better players have a stabilize(slow down) on the way to the impact to let the sequence flow.Thoughts?

[video=youtube;Myz7eRpR-Ks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myz7eRpR-Ks[/video]

Zipper Away

Zipper Away

Working this tip today--one of my biggest problems is throwing that right hip around too much.

This is a bit unclear in terms of Execution. I'm not sure how this move is started. Do you push away with your feet, or is it just a "stick out your butt" aka THE FRENCH MISTAKE (Per Mel Brookes)?

Any of you watch this guy? I seem to find him really easy to understand, and what he says seems to stick. He has all these lessons separated on his channel. He also uses a few home made putting aids that I think I'll try in the spring.
I've tried SC (maybe I just don't like him), and others, but igolftv seems really simple for guys like me who aren't very good.

This is probably the best golf tip/drill video I've ever seen on YouTube! Perhaps it has to do with what my golf coach and I have been working on for the past 5 weeks now - swinging on plane. This is a dummy-proof approach if I've ever seen one. I'm going to use this one often in my practice range sessions from now on.
Wow, been watching some of Monte's videos, some are pure gold. Thanks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just watched a couple of their videos. Not bad just had to get used to the accents.

This guy is putting out vids on Youtube. He's Na Yeon Choi's coach. Here's a sample. Recently he's been doing one or two a week.

this was one of the best videos I watched on the backswing. Really made things simple for me

This is a bit unclear in terms of Execution. I'm not sure how this move is started. Do you push away with your feet, or is it just a "stick out your butt" aka THE FRENCH MISTAKE (Per Mel Brookes)?

(Montiey) I can never understand anything this guy says. Tried but no matter how many times I watch . Im always having more confusion than learning going on. But he seems real passionate

I really enjoy MTI Gabe's instruction. Simple yet enough to get you understanding and improving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After being educated on proper driver setup over the last day, and experiencing some trackman based numbers to better understand why, I found myself scouring YouTube for PGA instructors attempting to clear the air on driver attack angle. While I found it interesting to see all the different takes on what/why/how, it was also kind of frustrating not to chat about the logic with anyone.

Seems like THP is the perfect place to discuss, and this thread was born. I think it's best to keep the videos in spoilers to allow for faster page loading, but I'd love to use this thread as a place where we can discuss interesting videos we watch from various instructors. I'll start.

Spoiler

I came upon this trying to better understand making upwards contact on the driver. He's got a solution that allows the weight to begin well out on the front leg, transition a bit in the back swing, and then flow through into the ball. With an iron, it seems quite steep which should produce a nice negative attack angle. With a wood, it's forward a bit, but the point of contact is still slightly downward. Then with the driver, much of his setup is well behind the ball, which allows him to hit up through contact.

What are your thoughts on this "braced tilt low" concept?

I tried this method based on this thread, and it really seem to work good for me. I have had problem getting good contact with the ball with my irons, often duffing with a not that nice hook as a result. This method makes my ball contact much better and so far it seems to work on both irons and woods.

Back