Interesting comment about one length irons.

My only rebuttal is that kids on tours, mini tours, municipal players, all ages have had the opportunity. OL has been out there to try. It’s not prevalent anywhere just yet. Maybe soon but not just yet.

My point earlier is that if a “tour player” saw the advantage or significance in changing to the OL, wouldn’t they? I don’t care if they played VL for 20+ years, they would change to win more.Heck, we would wouldn’t we? I would and tried them. They weren’t for me. We can no longer say they aren’t available or out there to try out. They have been there for years and years as you stated above.

Its a revamping of thought process and game for players that came to the highest level with different thinking.
We now know that cavity backs offer more forgiveness, and upon release it took over a decade for the tour to adopt and now its I believe over 65%. We saw similar with graphite in driver shafts, which is now at 100% (minus the Jimmy Walker)

I dont think OL will be the answer for every player, but I strongly disagree with the entire notion that it is concerning because of lack of tour use. Everybody is entitled to their opinion though. Thats what makes a forum fun.

Its a revamping of thought process and game for players that came to the highest level with different thinking.
We now know that cavity backs offer more forgiveness, and upon release it took over a decade for the tour to adopt and now its I believe over 65%. We saw similar with graphite in driver shafts, which is now at 100% (minus the Jimmy Walker)

I dont think OL will be the answer for every player, but I strongly disagree with the entire notion that it is concerning because of lack of tour use. Everybody is entitled to their opinion though. Thats what makes a forum fun.
Great points JB. Thanks

Reactions: JB
They're not the answer to every player. People who have been playing for many years have difficulty adjusting to the length of the short irons. Someone who has played VL irons for 15 years will have difficulty looking down at a OL GW. Someone who has only played a couple of years won't have any difficulty adjusting to it. You just play all your irons like a 7 iron, even your wedges, on full swings. This said, I have a mixed set.

I play the F9 OL 6i-GW. (+1"); Callaway 54, and 58 (+1.25")
The dry weather rig: F9 4H, 5H (standard length)
The wet weather rig: 24* utility iron, 5H. Because hybrids off the deck don't work out so well for me when the grass is wet and the ground is soft.

I have a standard length +1" F9 GW and went back and forth with the OL GW this summer and the OL GW is staying in the bag. I tend to hit pulls with my SL wedges on full shots which is why I went OL in the first place. Having to judge how much of a pull I was going to hit was a pain. I do not hit full shots with my 54 or 58.

I played OL for 5 years. Control is good however wedges are tougher because they are longer and you lose distance on the long irons. I am back to variable length. I still believe most people play clubs that are 2 long.

Funny story...
I was at THP HQ last week to do some club work (5 rounds with Midsized grips were enough to call the experiment a failure)...

As those of you that listen to Off Course w/ @Canadan know @JB is switching to OL irons (all 8 iron length). JB said, I’m going to hand you a iron from this OL set, don’t look at the number just hit it. Set up like you are hitting an 8 iron.

I said ok, and stripped two shots that carried close to 200 yards on the Tech Studio Sim both with a baby draw. Wow... Turned the club over and it was his OL 5 iron. There is something to this OL revolution.

I played OL for 5 years. Control is good however wedges are tougher because they are longer and you lose distance on the long irons. I am back to variable length. I still believe most people play clubs that are 2 long.
You may have lost distance on your long irons, but I disagree that it is a universal truth. I haven’t lost distance with my 4 and 5 irons and I am playing one length forged tec with those.

Funny story...
I was at THP HQ last week to do some club work (5 rounds with Midsized grips were enough to call the experiment a failure)...

As those of you that listen to Off Course w/ @Canadan know @JB is switching to OL irons (all 8 iron length). JB said, I’m going to hand you a iron from this OL set, don’t look at the number just hit it. Set up like you are hitting an 8 iron.

I said ok, and stripped two shots that carried close to 200 yards on the Tech Studio Sim both with a baby draw. Wow... Turned the club over and it was his OL 5 iron. There is something to this OL revolution.
No. You stop it.

I look forward to seeing what JB has coming. When will they become public knowledge.

I look forward to seeing what JB has coming. When will they become public knowledge.
They are pre-release irons, I was sworn to secrecy... 🤐

They are pre-release irons, I was sworn to secrecy... 🤐
I gathered that from pod cast. Any idea on release date

I would not mind trying OL in 4-PW. But Gap-Lob about 1 inch more in length? Don't know. I can grip down but I think 35.5 would work in wedges - give me that DylaWedge Grip.

Back