Interesting comment about one length irons.

Dude, you and I had a very serious conversation about it at the beginning of the year and depending on availability I was fully ready to commit to the two length bag setup.

Dude, you and I had a very serious conversation about it at the beginning of the year and depending on availability I was fully ready to commit to the two length bag setup.
hahaha I know. I still can't wait for you to rock some OL though

It's a concept I've been interested in for a while because it makes perfect sense to me. I did a lot of reading about it a few months ago and actually had my mouse pointer hovering over the "Buy" button at one point, but didn't pull the trigger. Right now I think I'm going to hold off and see if/when any other OEMs jump on board the OL train.

I don't see the appeal, mostly just a gimmick IMO, golf has been around for a very long time and lots of money to be made for the best, if single length had any advantage we would have seen it often at the top level long ago.
Then why aren't we all still playing persimmon woods, muscleback blades and balata balls? I'm sure cavity backs, metal woods and modern balls were all considered "gimmicks" when they were introduced too.

What a tour player plays has little bearing on what most amateur golfers should be playing. It drives sales a lot more than it should, IMO.

It's a concept I've been interested in for a while because it makes perfect sense to me. I did a lot of reading about it a few months ago and actually had my mouse pointer hovering over the "Buy" button at one point, but didn't pull the trigger. Right now I think I'm going to hold off and see if/when any other OEMs jump on board the OL train.
I was in the same boat. I could never take the leap because fitter recommended against it and it is a lot of money to just trust it will work out. I was very fortunate to get selected to Morgan Cup and even then I almost decided against taking the plunge. The only reason I talk so much about it is because I think it would help many amateur golfers and I know how they feel about taking the plunge.

If you can find someone with a demo set (OL 5/7/9) and you follow the guidelines that I posted from Jose Miraflor, you should be able to know if OL is for you or not without buying a set and hoping that they work.

Thought I would share this as an FYI.

We had our golf banquet supper deal last night and the guy was there that I play with that has OL. I found out he has only had them for less than two years now and he has played golf for many years before he made the change. I think his set is F7? Not sure exactly. He is 62 now and I am not quoting him verbatim, but basically paraphrasing what he said here for information.

Most of what is posted in this thread about OL he echoes. He is a golf techno gadget geek and his philosophy is more along the lines of "Why variable lengths as that makes no sense at all?" He said the OLs were not hard at all to get used to as he had thought and within a few hours on the course he was getting it down, but as with any change it takes some time to adapt. He indicated he would not go back to variable length.

One thing he really likes about OLs is they give him basically same ball position and swing and you only change position or swing for a recovery shot, or over a tree shot, etc., when needed. He indicated he can focus on the game more which he says has changed his game.

6 iron is my best club. I would probably go with a 6 ironish length if I went OL which I am actually really curious about.

6 iron is my best club. I would probably go with a 6 ironish length if I went OL which I am actually really curious about.
That is about the same for me. I think out of the 5, 6, and 7, the 6 probably shines the most as far as dependable length and consistency is concerned. It might be a toss up with the 7.

I plan to mess with those 3 more on my launch monitor in the days ahead to determine what is most consistent and comfortable length with less dorked shots on each session. This should help determine the most comfortable length club.

That is about the same for me. I think out of the 5, 6, and 7, the 6 probably shines the most as far as dependable length and consistency is concerned. It might be a toss up with the 7.

I plan to mess with those 3 more on my launch monitor in the days ahead to determine what is most consistent and comfortable length with less dorked shots on each session. This should help determine the most comfortable length club.
What would you do with wedges? I don't full swing my wedges much so I think I would keep them as is. A 6 iron length club seems a little much to hit pitches and chips with IMO. I think based on Forged Tec lofts I would go 5-PW OL and have 2 wedges at standard length.

What would you do with wedges? I don't full swing my wedges much so I think I would keep them as is. A 6 iron length club seems a little much to hit pitches and chips with IMO. I think based on Forged Tec lofts I would go 5-PW OL and have 2 wedges at standard length.
I think standard length wedges is more common in the OL sets than OL wedges. That said, now that I am comfortable with OL, I might give OL wedges a shot in the future. I have OL 4-PW

As someone that plans on getting a proper fitting/swing lesson before next season, one length clubs really intrigue me.

As someone who played a high level of ice hockey, my mechanics are currently flawed in the sense that my swing pattern is similar to my shot mechanics. One pro told me that one length clubs would help with my consistency and the more I read about it the more I like the sounds of it.

I think standard length wedges is more common in the OL sets than OL wedges. That said, now that I am comfortable with OL, I might give OL wedges a shot in the future. I have OL 4-PW
I think I would leave my current wedges alone, although I might lengthen them slightly so that there is not a huge drop down difference between the clubs. I would probably experiment some to see what works the best.

A slightly longer wedge might prove advantageous as you could probably get higher shots when/if needed and still shoot short shorts around the green by your hand position location. I was watching a youtube vid that showed that very thing occurring with the longer high lofted wedges. Dude could take a full swing and get some serious height.

An inch is not too big a deal between the wedges and the irons, but 1.5 to 2 inches shorter might mess with my brain too much. I am thinking about splitting the difference. Some folks are saying that having the wedges at the same length as the irons (once they get used to them) is on the money for them.

I have been playing OL this season after I picked up F9s for a steal at Golf Galaxy. I really like them, and the concept of one ball position for all my irons. Since adopting them I have broken 90 for the first time, and then again twice more, and probably shaved at least 2 strokes off my handicap. I then bought a set of OL Forged Tecs with Recoil shafts and have played a couple rounds with them. I am still flip flopping between OL GW and my CBX 52. Not sure which way I will land there. Bottom line is that for me OL is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

I have been playing OL this season after I picked up F9s for a steal at Golf Galaxy. I really like them, and the concept of one ball position for all my irons. Since adopting them I have broken 90 for the first time, and then again twice more, and probably shaved at least 2 strokes off my handicap. I then bought a set of OL Forged Tecs with Recoil shafts and have played a couple rounds with them. I am still flip flopping between OL GW and my CBX 52. Not sure which way I will land there. Bottom line is that for me OL is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Did you get graphite or steel shafts in your standard F9s OLs? Also, keep us updated on your journey.

Did you get graphite or steel shafts in your standard F9s OLs? Also, keep us updated on your journey.
They are the stock steel shafts. I would've considered the graphite but they didn't have them in stock.

I really wanted to like the OL Cobras. Tried them 3 different times. Did not work well for me.
The "short" irons worked just fine, but the long irons all started to have a severe lack of yardage gapping. To each their own, but I still do not think they have it exactly right on the "design" just yet. But again, that's just my opinion.

Bryson is something special and could play a course wonderfully with a broom if he wanted.
It does concern me that no one else (at least not many) on pga tour or even other tours play the OL. The % is extremely low across the board. No, we don't need to necessarily concern ourselves with what the tour players are playing, but don't we anyways? It does matter a bit. They want the very best equipment, design and technology they can play. We should expect nothing less for our game within reason and capability.

Again, to each their own. If they work for you, play em. Cobra is a great company and just as good as any other.

Last edited:
This is the current gapping on my one length forged tec irons
AC9D4483-296F-4BE4-807F-A7F2AD93993B.jpeg

Nice! I didn't try the forged tec. Maybe thats where I am lacking in knowledge about them? Perhaps. But doing research in the past has resulted with a ton of players not having good gappage.

Nice! I didn't try the forged tec. Maybe thats where I am lacking in knowledge about them? Perhaps. But doing research in the past has resulted with a ton of players not having good gappage.
Just sharing my current gaps. I don’t think OL is for everyone. I tried the F9 OL and had gapping problems at the launch monitor in the store and I am not sure why. I also had problems with the current OL 3h and 4h going pretty much the same distance and only slightly longer than the OL FT 4i.

I just don’t think there is a technology problem with current OL clubs. If it was a tech problem, I don’t think that the clubs would work with a robot or a significant amount of people that try it. Not everything fits everyone, clearly.

I really wanted to like the OL Cobras. Tried them 3 different times. Did not work well for me.
The "short" irons worked just fine, but the long irons all started to have a severe lack of yardage gapping. To each their own, but I still do not think they have it exactly right on the "design" just yet. But again, that's just my opinion.

Bryson is something special and could play a course wonderfully with a broom if he wanted.
It does concern me that no one else (at least not many) on pga tour or even other tours play the OL. The % is extremely low across the board. No, we don't need to necessarily concern ourselves with what the tour players are playing, but don't we anyways? It does matter a bit. They want the very best equipment, design and technology they can play. We should expect nothing less for our game within reason and capability.

Again, to each their own. If they work for you, play em. Cobra is a great company and just as good as any other.

I think others have said this, in regards to numbers on tour, but I think we'll see more as younger players will likely start out with OL and continue to play them later on as well. It makes sense that a beginner would start out with clubs of the same length to learn their swing, where as many didn't have that opportunity in the past and learned to play very well with VL clubs. I don't know if we'll see that, but I know it has made a difference in contact consistency for this high cap golfer and it may for others as well. It also may not and that's ok, we all are better for having as many options as we have I think.

OL has been around in its current form for 3-4 years. A player on tour has been playing for 20 years to get where they are. Switching out of the blue to a different concept would never happen at that point.

We saw the same thing with blades and long irons. Now there has been a steady shift to more cavity back irons and hybrids.

OL has been around in its current form for 3-4 years. A player on tour has been playing for 20 years to get where they are. Switching out of the blue to a different concept would never happen at that point.

We saw the same thing with blades and long irons. Now there has been a steady shift to more cavity back irons and hybrids.
Relative. Not all players have played on tour that long. One length has been out for longer than that. Many years. Not Cobra OL offerings, but others, yes. I am not downing the idea, tech, etc. Just saying it didn’t work for me. I love the idea and I agree with others that there could be many that benefit in starting out with OL but I also think that we would have seen it more so than we are currently (being played).

Relative. Not all players have played on tour that long. One length has been out for longer than that. Many years. Not Cobra OL offerings, but others, yes. I am not downing the idea, tech, etc. Just saying it didn’t work for me. I love the idea and I agree with others that there could be many that benefit in starting out with OL but I also think that we would have seen it more so than we are currently (being played).

I wasnt speaking to all players being out on tour that long.
I was speaking to what they grew up and learned to play on. OL in its current iteration came when Bryson came. Brands like Edel and a couple of others.
Before that, you are going back to EQL by Tommy Armour.

It is not as if Bryson is the only ever. Bobby Jones played single length.

Like all equipment, there will be differences for people as you found, but I strongly disagree with the idea that because tour players are not using it. Graphite, Hybrids, Cavity backs and the list is pretty endless on what and how long it took for the top level to make a switch.

A great parallel is the grip world. Most used grip on tour is the Tour Velvet and it is by a landslide. MCC was not an option for the masses that are out there necessarily. As younger players move up, more have switched to that and in the coming years, it will absolutely dominate what is used on tour. Just as cavity backs, hybrids/utilities, etc.

My only rebuttal is that kids on tours, mini tours, municipal players, all ages have had the opportunity. OL has been out there to try. It’s not prevalent anywhere just yet. Maybe soon but not just yet.

My point earlier is that if a “tour player” saw the advantage or significance in changing to the OL, wouldn’t they? I don’t care if they played VL for 20+ years, they would change to win more.Heck, we would wouldn’t we? I would and tried them. They weren’t for me. We can no longer say they aren’t available or out there to try out. They have been there for years and years as you stated above.

Back