Interesting Concept for Private Courses

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was watching a travel series the other day that mentioned how private golf clubs in Australia/New Zealand, along with many in Ireland/Scotland still allow public access. From the sounds of it, the private club allows a non member to play it once without membership.

This would be such an awesome concept to see take off in the states. There are so many fantastic courses out there that we could only dream of playing!

I was watching a travel series the other day that mentioned how private golf clubs in Australia/New Zealand, along with many in Ireland/Scotland still allow public access. From the sounds of it, the private club allows a non member to play it once without membership.

This would be such an awesome concept to see take off in the states. There are so many fantastic courses out there that we could only dream of playing!
Very common here in the UK. Anyone can play the overwhelming majority of private clubs if they book and pay for it as a guest. There are some exceptions of course. But if I wanted to go play St Andrews next week, I could 🤷🏻‍♂️.

The members of the private club I use to be a member of would lose their minds if the courses were open to the public.

Very common here in the UK. Anyone can play the overwhelming majority of private clubs if they book and pay for it as a guest. There are some exceptions of course. But if I wanted to go play St Andrews next week, I could 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Exactly why I love golf in Europe. Next week, you can phone up Royal St. Georges and book a time. It'll cost you, but you'd never be able to do that at, say, Oakmont.

The members of the private club I use to be a member of would lose their minds if the courses were open to the public.
And that’s something that’s really wrong with our sport.

Yeah unfortunately here in the states it’s more about status than enjoying the game for many members of upscale clubs

I don’t think there’s harm in operating like that. For the most part the clubs still remain private

I don’t think there’s harm in operating like that. For the most part the clubs still remain private
I agree, I like it as a concept 😃. There are exceptions in the UK (Wentworth springs to mind). But as I say, you can play pretty much anywhere.

A private club with unconditional public access is not a private club. There are plenty of clubs in USA that have tried the 'semi-private' model. They essentially become public courses. There's no real in between.

There's some private courses by us that will open to the public late in the year or even randomly during the peak season.

then they aren't private courses. 🤷‍♂️

Correct, that's not a private course. Semi-private which is public with some folks paying threw the nose to have more open access to a golf course.

Granted, I don't mind it since we live on it but I certainly enjoy our private course much more.

Sounds great, but especially in the summer, my private course used to be swamped with golf societies. They were a necessary evil as they kept my subs down to a reasonable level, but there was nothing worse than rocking up for a game and seeing a golf society of 20 or 30 players waiting by the first. Being stuck behind them would mean you were probably in for a 5 hour plus round!

Sounds great, but especially in the summer, my private course used to be swamped with golf societies. They were a necessary evil as they kept my subs down to a reasonable level, but there was nothing worse than rocking up for a game and seeing a golf society of 20 or 30 players waiting by the first. Being stuck behind them would mean you were probably in for a 5 hour plus round!
I won’t argue with that. My proposal would be to offer select tee times in offseason or off times. One course specifically that I remember is Tara Iti (New Zealand). Supposedly it’s insanely exclusive but a very relaxed atmosphere. They allow non members to play once in their lifetime as long as they stay on the property. Probably a unique situation because it doesn’t seem like the course gets a lot of regular member play

If I were at a private club and they said these specific tee times are for non-members to use once, and they can't get other tee times if the allotted ones fill up, I'd get on board with that. Of course, I've seen private courses that would be dumb for turning down any kind of income.

A lot of the private clubs around here typically close either Monday or Tuesday for maintenance. Then they occasionally have "member for a day" opportunities on those days they are closed so it doesn't interfere with normal member play. Also, some may also schedule outings on those days as a way to get additional revenue.

A lot of the private clubs around here typically close either Monday or Tuesday for maintenance. Then they occasionally have "member for a day" opportunities on those days they are closed so it doesn't interfere with normal member play. Also, some may also schedule outings on those days as a way to get additional revenue.
That is a cool idea! I used to work at a very private club in my area and it rarely got any play on maintenance days. Would be cool to see a couple tee times open up there

My FIL is a member at a private club and if he's not in the mood to play my BIL and I can go play. We just have to prove that we are from out of the county which isn't a problem for us.

Whats wrong with private clubs? I pay for the privilege of belonging to one and everything that goes with it. Member’s guests are one thing. I don’t want our course open up to the public. We are in a good place financially without that.

Whats wrong with private clubs? I pay for the privilege of belonging to one and everything that goes with it. Member’s guests are one thing. I don’t want our course open up to the public. We are in a good place financially without that.
Nothing wrong with private clubs, but the poster said their members would be horrified of any non members being there. That exclusive/elitist attitude isn’t great in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with private clubs, but the poster said their members would be horrified of any non members being there. That exclusive/elitist attitude isn’t great in my opinion.
Agreed. It's the, "I'm better than you because I make more money" that's off putting. Opening up a club occasionally, or on days it's closed to members shouldn't be horrifying to anyone. We've just done a great job of making golf in the US, especially the ability to play at nice courses a rich man's sport. I'm all for private clubs, I'm also for select non-member tee times in some kind of format as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed. It's the, "I'm better than you because I make more money" that's off putting. Opening up a club occasionally, or on days it's closed to members shouldn't be horrifying to anyone. We've just done a great job of making golf in the US, especially the ability to play at nice courses a rich man's sport. I'm all for private clubs, I'm also for select non-member tee times in some kind of format as well.

I love how casual golf is in the US I think we do a lot of things right in the UK too but I like the laid back attitude you guys have 😎.

The days the club is closed are generally filled with maintenance work that they can't do when the club is open and to give other staff that work the other 6 days some time off.

I think it comes down to how busy a club is. I wouldn't have a big problem with a couple of tee times a week in the shoulder season when we aren't that busy but during peak season the course is pretty busy. You need to be online right when tee times open up to get the time you prefer. Part of what we play for is access and flexibility. It has nothing to do with "I'm better than you because I make more money". I don't have a ton of free time and like the flexibility to play when I want to at a reasonable pace.

At most private clubs around me the revenue isn't an issue.

rarely got any play on maintenance days.

Never left course maintenance get in the way of rounds.

If a private course is going to open itself up to public play, then member dues should go down. You're no longer paying for a private course. Charity outings, school or local tournaments is one thing but having seen 1st hand what has happened at our home course, it's a hard no in my experienced opinion.
The other private club we belong to has stopped taking new members after raising the initiation by a fair margin. The course is in great shape & based on the improvements they've been making, doesn't seem to be hurting for revenue.

How is that wrong? If you pony up initiation and dues every month aren’t you paying for exclusive?

Back