Interlock grip better?

braveheart

Reaction score
Handicap
I am right handed, large thumbs with short fingers (if I wore a glove its a cadet/large). I currently use an overlap grip.
The issue is that my right hand tends to come off the grip during the follow through or has moved off to the side of the left thumb. I never see this on any pros finished swing. I have been told to work on my finish as I am tight and have a right rotator cuff injury (thankfully not the left one). "Down and through or hit a second tee after the ball" have been suggested in instruction. I am stretching (yoga) so that helps.
I have strong hands so I know its not weakness and my swing speed is 106 with a driver. I have experimented with midsize grips but I think standard with three wraps is best. Standard alone feels too loose in right hand.
I see in other posts you highly recommend the interlock grip. Why? Would this be better for me to stay connected better throughout the swing? Overlap feels comfortable but is it the best grip as you always hear?
Thanks in advance.

I am right handed, large thumbs with short fingers (if I wore a glove its a cadet/large). I currently use an overlap grip.
The issue is that my right hand tends to come off the grip during the follow through or has moved off to the side of the left thumb. I never see this on any pros finished swing. I have been told to work on my finish as I am tight and have a right rotator cuff injury (thankfully not the left one). "Down and through or hit a second tee after the ball" have been suggested in instruction. I am stretching (yoga) so that helps.
I have strong hands so I know its not weakness and my swing speed is 106 with a driver. I have experimented with midsize grips but I think standard with three wraps is best. Standard alone feels too loose in right hand.
I see in other posts you highly recommend the interlock grip. Why? Would this be better for me to stay connected better throughout the swing? Overlap feels comfortable but is it the best grip as you always hear?
Thanks in advance.

i don't think there's a right or wrong grip. just what works best and feels best for you. different people will tell you different things about grip. for example michael breed tells you to grip the club more in the fingers of the left hand. hank haney says to grip it more in the left hand more than the fingers.

the point is, you have to go to the range and hit some balls with different grips and see which one works best.

in addition to experimenting with overlap and interlocking, you might even want to try a reverse overlap if your right hand keeps falling off.

in the reverse overlap grip (instead of the right pinky resting over left index) the left index finger rests over the right pinky, with the right pinky is on the shaft. (someone won a pga championship with this grip years ago).

the reverse overlap will likely help your body turn through the ball more, and result in more draws.

Ive tried the reverse overlap but felt too much stress on right pinkie.

I will experiment at the range with them all.

Vicar,
This is the ask the pro section. lets keep this clear until Andy ha had a chance to respond. Thanks.

Good question here. There are 3 grips that I view as ok or usable in the golf swing. The Interlock, the overlap, and the 10 finger grip. I am a fan of the interlock because I have smaller fingers and cannot get enough surface area of my hands on the grip with an overlap. I also feel that the interlock leads to more connection and the hands working a little better together. This sounds like it is worth a try to help you keep the hands on the club post impact.

I am a bit confused by the grip size portion of your post. IF the hand is coming off of the grip I think a smaller grip would help you to stay on the club better. Have your hands measured for grip size. I would be curious what that would lead to.

amollerud,
I went out and played 9 nine holes yesterday. Specific intention to see which grip works better for me.

10 finger = hooks
interlock=slice
overlap= straight

Hit one each on each hole and found that although my hand may move a little off with overlap I could still hit the ball fairly straight with good contact.
I do feel your advice about grip size is correct. Standard with a couple wraps easier to hold down with less tension.

Thanks for your input.

Been awhile since I posted or reported on this subject. Tried the interlock with my iron shots today with good results. More accuracy with less tension as my hands stayed together through the shot better. Might be something to this, going to try again tomorrow.:act-up:

Been awhile since I posted or reported on this subject. Tried the interlock with my iron shots today with good results. More accuracy with less tension as my hands stayed together through the shot better. Might be something to this, going to try again tomorrow.:act-up:

Good luck with this. I've used an interlock grip for my entire 38 years of playing. Works very well for me.

Check out Vijays right hand. That sucker is just along for the ride at that point... and I love it!
Vijay-Singh-driver_299x399.jpg

Back