Interlock vs Overlap Grip

Overlap grip. I chopped off the tip of my pinky when I was a kid and it is uncomfortable to interlock.

I have always used the overlap grip. Tried interlock several times but could not get comfortable with it and it kind of hurt. I have smaller hands and thin fingers.

Overlap

I dont think there are really any hard and fast rules about which grip you should use or really any data that suggest one grip is better than another.
It is worth nothing though that the 2 best golfers who ever lived (Woods and Nicklaus) both use the interlock.
This is my main reason for wanting to try interlock and probably also the worst reason to try interlock...

This is my main reason for wanting to try interlock and probably also the worst reason to try interlock...
It's worth at least trying it. I know that for me, the interlock slows down my release. My miss used to be a block to the right and the overlap made it easier for me to release the club.
Now that I've made some swing changes and started hitting hooks, I went to the interlock and it turned my hook into a slight draw.
I feel like with the interlock it just kind of locks everything together and makes my hands and arms work as a unit but that's only a feel and may or may not be what's really happening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I tried interlock for awhile but kept getting blisters. Now I just use the overlap.

I tried interlock for awhile but kept getting blisters. Now I just use the overlap.
I started with overlap (because Nicklaus used it) and everything else feels weird now. I've tried overlap but it usually results in poor shots.

I have always played with the overlap grip with the right pinky wedged between the knuckles of the third and fourth fingers of the left hand. In hindsight I think that the interlocking grip is more secure with less chance of movement of club in the hands. The interlocking grip I am referring to has the left forefinger wrapped around the top section of the right pinky which is relaxed and resting against the base knuckle of the second finger of the left hand.

I was interlock for years until a ligament injury in my right hand. The overlap hurt less so I made the change. One thing I notice is the right hand is less active with the overlap than interlock. Other than that the ball can go anywhere with either grip.

It's worth at least trying it. I know that for me, the interlock slows down my release. My miss used to be a block to the right and the overlap made it easier for me to release the club.
Now that I've made some swing changes and started hitting hooks, I went to the interlock and it turned my hook into a slight draw.
I feel like with the interlock it just kind of locks everything together and makes my hands and arms work as a unit but that's only a feel and may or may not be what's really happening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I definitely need to try it out!

This is perfect timing seeing this as I’m debating on making the swap. I am a bigger guy (6’2”) with longer-ish fingers. I’ve always played an interlock (during varsity golf I played an overlap but at some point I switched).

I’ve really been putting in effort to fix my golf swing this offseason and go into the year playing well. However, I’ve noticed I have a bit of movement from the butt end of the club at the top of my backswing - and I tend to get “handsy” during the follow through and roll my right hand over. My right hand in general feels too strong. On top of that, I feel like the movement of the club in the grip at the top of the back swing causes me to come inside-out as I try to make up for the club movement and lagging behind (my club path is like 7* on the TrackMan).

So, I’m wondering if swapping back to overlap and getting my left index finger on the grip for a stronger grip would help. Also debating on going up in grip size (use a standard mcc plus 4 right now). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think one grip is better than the other, I still use a 10 finger and have plenty of consistency with it.
Yes a stronger grip should help with a slice, as long as your aren't coming over the top.
I agree, I started using the Jim Furyk-esk double overlap because my right-hand gets way too ambitious and its helped a lot.

Back