Intro to cm24 & My Road to the Grandaddy

Current Bag and Fitting Thoughts for December

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0° (Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 60g 6.5 flex)
My goal is to have this be the beast and a weapon off the tee. My carry with this club is about 290-295, and I typically hit a bit of a fade. I am looking for something that I can control fairly well, but more importantly, I want it to be a fade biased club that helps me avoid the left sided miss that plagues me. I hit the Epic Speed recently and really liked it. I think the Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS would be the club I gravitate towards, and I’m excited to find a shaft that gives me a consistent dispersion because I know distance won’t be an issue with that club.

Fairway Wood: Titleist TS3 15° (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 82g X flex)
I mainly use my 3 wood off the tee as a mini driver that carries about 270 and is a fairway finder on tight holes or when the driver is on safari exploring every hidden corner of the course. Essentially, I’m looking for good ball speed and a stable flight that I can hit any time, any day with confidence. I rarely need to hit if off the deck, so this is not a big focus for me. That is why I am looking for the next club.

Hybrid: none currently
This is the club that I would likely be looking to hit off of the fairway into a par 5. I am looking at about approximately 250 yards of carry with lots of height and stopping power. The distance gapping will ultimately be determined by the gap between 4 iron and 3 wood, and I’m guessing this will likely be a 20° degree hybrid. I also like the ability to hit it out of thicker rough, which is why I would likely favor a hybrid over a 5 or 7 wood.

Utility Iron: Titleist U500 3 iron (Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 90g X flex)
Not going to lie, it is going to be hard to get the Titleist U500 3 iron out of my bag permanently. I absolutely love this club, and I carry it about 230-240 with a good amount of roll out. It is ridiculously hot off the club and has a very flat ball flight that I like a lot. It is a perfect club for firmer course conditions or windy days, and I am very confident with it off the tee on the tightest of holes. My goal is to have both a hybrid and this U500 that I can interchange based on course condition and/or setup, and I will

Irons: Titleist U500 4 iron, 718MB 5-9 iron (KBS C Taper 130X)
I have played blades since I was in high school, but that does not mean I am going to go in hoping for pure blades in December. I will probably gravitate most toward the current Apex Pro 21 based on the thin top line and minimal offset. For some reason, the Apex TCB shape doesn’t really fit my eye based on the pictures I’ve seen, and the X Forged CB has more offset than I prefer and a slightly chunky topline. Because of the forgiveness that comes with the Apex Pro 21s, I will probably start here and expect that these will be my longer irons and wouldn’t be surprised if I get a full set. I really like how they look at address, but I may also try the Apex MBs in the shorter irons. My guess is that I will start by trying the Apex Pro 21s in the C-Taper 130X shafts that I currently use and see where it goes from there. I have a fairly steep swing and tend to produce excess spin on my irons, so managing that will be the focus of my fitting. I also need to be hitting similar carry numbers with each iron, and I don't need them to go any farther (7 iron yardage is 185-188).

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 46.10F, 50.08F, 54.10S (SM6), 58.08M (all 1° weak, KBS C Taper 130X)
This is the most exciting part for me because of the possible combinations I can tinker with. I am pretty certain that I will go with the traditional looking Jaws MD5 wedges in the GW and SW, but I will definitely try the Full Toe in my 58/60. I’m not sure if I can get used to the look of a full face of grooves of the Full Toe, but I know the versatility around the green and extra spin on partial shots would be a huge asset. I use my highest lofted wedge on 75-90% swings too, so I would need to see if I can get used to it on longer swings. I am leaning towards a similar setup to what I have now because I know my yardages and the feel of my partial swings and how far they go. This would mostly be the Jaws MD5 46S, 50W, 54C (bent 1° weak), and either Full Toe 58 (bent 1° weak) or Jaws MD5 58C (1° weak).

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (Custom Finish by NorCal)
No idea what will happen here. I’ve used the same putter for over 10 years, and I really like the one I currently have. I occasionally have the tendency to leave the toe open and push putts, so I will definitely be picking the brains of the Callaway/Odyssey guys to find a putter to minimize this tendency. I really liked the original Stroke Lab Ten with the thicker alignment aid, but I will have to see how each putter feels.

Current Bag and Fitting Thoughts for December

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0° (Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 60g 6.5 flex)
My goal is to have this be the beast and a weapon off the tee. My carry with this club is about 290-295, and I typically hit a bit of a fade. I am looking for something that I can control fairly well, but more importantly, I want it to be a fade biased club that helps me avoid the left sided miss that plagues me. I hit the Epic Speed recently and really liked it. I think the Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS would be the club I gravitate towards, and I’m excited to find a shaft that gives me a consistent dispersion because I know distance won’t be an issue with that club.

Fairway Wood: Titleist TS3 15° (Mitsubishi Diamana Ahina 82g X flex)
I mainly use my 3 wood off the tee as a mini driver that carries about 270 and is a fairway finder on tight holes or when the driver is on safari exploring every hidden corner of the course. Essentially, I’m looking for good ball speed and a stable flight that I can hit any time, any day with confidence. I rarely need to hit if off the deck, so this is not a big focus for me. That is why I am looking for the next club.

Hybrid: none currently
This is the club that I would likely be looking to hit off of the fairway into a par 5. I am looking at about approximately 250 yards of carry with lots of height and stopping power. The distance gapping will ultimately be determined by the gap between 4 iron and 3 wood, and I’m guessing this will likely be a 20° degree hybrid. I also like the ability to hit it out of thicker rough, which is why I would likely favor a hybrid over a 5 or 7 wood.

Utility Iron: Titleist U500 3 iron (Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 90g X flex)
Not going to lie, it is going to be hard to get the Titleist U500 3 iron out of my bag permanently. I absolutely love this club, and I carry it about 230-240 with a good amount of roll out. It is ridiculously hot off the club and has a very flat ball flight that I like a lot. It is a perfect club for firmer course conditions or windy days, and I am very confident with it off the tee on the tightest of holes. My goal is to have both a hybrid and this U500 that I can interchange based on course condition and/or setup, and I will

Irons: Titleist U500 4 iron, 718MB 5-9 iron (KBS C Taper 130X)
I have played blades since I was in high school, but that does not mean I am going to go in hoping for pure blades in December. I will probably gravitate most toward the current Apex Pro 21 based on the thin top line and minimal offset. For some reason, the Apex TCB shape doesn’t really fit my eye based on the pictures I’ve seen, and the X Forged CB has more offset than I prefer and a slightly chunky topline. Because of the forgiveness that comes with the Apex Pro 21s, I will probably start here and expect that these will be my longer irons and wouldn’t be surprised if I get a full set. I really like how they look at address, but I may also try the Apex MBs in the shorter irons. My guess is that I will start by trying the Apex Pro 21s in the C-Taper 130X shafts that I currently use and see where it goes from there. I have a fairly steep swing and tend to produce excess spin on my irons, so managing that will be the focus of my fitting. I also need to be hitting similar carry numbers with each iron, and I don't need them to go any farther (7 iron yardage is 185-188).

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 46.10F, 50.08F, 54.10S (SM6), 58.08M (all 1° weak, KBS C Taper 130X)
This is the most exciting part for me because of the possible combinations I can tinker with. I am pretty certain that I will go with the traditional looking Jaws MD5 wedges in the GW and SW, but I will definitely try the Full Toe in my 58/60. I’m not sure if I can get used to the look of a full face of grooves of the Full Toe, but I know the versatility around the green and extra spin on partial shots would be a huge asset. I use my highest lofted wedge on 75-90% swings too, so I would need to see if I can get used to it on longer swings. I am leaning towards a similar setup to what I have now because I know my yardages and the feel of my partial swings and how far they go. This would mostly be the Jaws MD5 46S, 50W, 54C (bent 1° weak), and either Full Toe 58 (bent 1° weak) or Jaws MD5 58C (1° weak).

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (Custom Finish by NorCal)
No idea what will happen here. I’ve used the same putter for over 10 years, and I really like the one I currently have. I occasionally have the tendency to leave the toe open and push putts, so I will definitely be picking the brains of the Callaway/Odyssey guys to find a putter to minimize this tendency. I really liked the original Stroke Lab Ten with the thicker alignment aid, but I will have to see how each putter feels.
That's a good bag, and cool to read what you're looking forward to with the fitting. Without fully knowing what will be available to you in Dec. a switch from 718 MB to Apex Pro would be interesting to hear your thoughts on from fitting to first outing to quite some time later. Would be a cool follow for sure. I got a full set of Pros early on but never really played it. I still use the 4i to this day, but I mostly played the 4-5 Pro with 6-A Apex MB until I got into the TCBs. And I still combo a couple MBs in with those some too. Really like the Apex MBs.

It's a lot of Titleist you're playing right now, so I'm curious what else you've tried of the current Callaway stuff. You mentioned possilbe driver thoughts having hit the Speed, and looks of some of their irons, but have you hit the current FWs, HY, or wedges? I'm especially curious about the wedges, because you said you're excited about that. Have you spent any time with MD5s at all, or ever played previous versions?

Thanks for posting this and showing us what you currently play, btw. As a newer forum member the background stuff helps. Any thoughts on feels and looks and whatnot can only serve to help us wildly speculate on comparisons if and when you talk about things you get without actually talking about them, and we need that. We live on jealousy and speculation until anything new and awesome you get actually gets made public. So.. throw any scraps you're allowed to the starving please. :LOL:

Great to meet you! From everything that's said the granddaddy is the golf experience of a lifetime. We all know you'll have a blast.

Fun fact - some of the most entertaining golfers on this forum are from the great state of Minnesota. **The other most entertaining golfers are from the other 49 states, it's basically an equal split minus Iowa (obviously)

:welcome:
And also some from over the pond ;)

That's a good bag, and cool to read what you're looking forward to with the fitting. Without fully knowing what will be available to you in Dec. a switch from 718 MB to Apex Pro would be interesting to hear your thoughts on from fitting to first outing to quite some time later. Would be a cool follow for sure. I got a full set of Pros early on but never really played it. I still use the 4i to this day, but I mostly played the 4-5 Pro with 6-A Apex MB until I got into the TCBs. And I still combo a couple MBs in with those some too. Really like the Apex MBs.

It's a lot of Titleist you're playing right now, so I'm curious what else you've tried of the current Callaway stuff. You mentioned possilbe driver thoughts having hit the Speed, and looks of some of their irons, but have you hit the current FWs, HY, or wedges? I'm especially curious about the wedges, because you said you're excited about that. Have you spent any time with MD5s at all, or ever played previous versions?

Thanks for posting this and showing us what you currently play, btw. As a newer forum member the background stuff helps. Any thoughts on feels and looks and whatnot can only serve to help us wildly speculate on comparisons if and when you talk about things you get without actually talking about them, and we need that. We live on jealousy and speculation until anything new and awesome you get actually gets made public. So.. throw any scraps you're allowed to the starving please. :LOL:

Yeah, I can't speculate on what will be available in December. I not opposed to trying any irons if I like how they look at address and based on the reviews from TXG, the Apex Pros seem like something I would really like. I am absolutely going to compare them to the MBs in the shorter irons just for comparison.

Yes, I have a lot of Titleist right now. It's not necessarily because I will ONLY play Titleist. I just tend to gravitate towards it as because my dad is a huge Titleist guy. I actually tried the TaylorMade Sim2 and Callaway Epic Max LS this spring when I was looking at a driver before settling on the TSi3. I liked the feel of the Epic Max LS, but the place I was trying it did not have a great amount of shaft option. The best option they had was the MMT 70g X and I was getting spin into the low-mid 3000's. I didn't try the Speed at the time, but I did recently with the Tensei CK Pro White 70g X and really liked it.

For fairway woods, I've played Titleist going back to the 909 series and have had the 910, 915, and TS. The biggest problem I've run into when I've wanted to try fairway woods from Callaway is that they are bonded and not many stores carry options with shafts that work for me. That doesn't say anything about the clubs themselves, but I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum that most off the rack stuff doesn't work for. I have no doubt I will find a version of the Epic Speed or Max that works for me, but I haven't had the chance to play one yet.

For hybrids, I haven't had a hybrid in a long time, but I am definitely interested in getting one for off the fairways on longer par 5's and when it's wet in Ohio (common in Spring and Fall) so the driving iron isn't as useful because there is no roll out. I really like the look of the Apex 21 hybrids and can't wait to try it. I'm planning on heading to PGA Superstore in Columbus and/or GG during the next couple months on days where the weather isn't as nice to try them out before I head to CA, and I will definitely post reviews!

I have had Callaway wedges in the past, and absolutely loved them. The Jaws MD5 wedges have the grind variety that I look for because I love to manipulate the face of my wedges in the sand and lob wedge. I actually bought an MD4 in a 50.10 that I was going to break out this week and test. Interestingly before I got chosen as the last Grandaddy competitor, I was looking into replacing my wedges over the off-season and was leaning heavily towards the MD5 in the Tour Gray. The Full Toe is a big wildcard for me because I've never had a full face of grooves, but I am definitely going to take my time testing it in the lob wedge with a strong possibility of it going into my bag.

I try to be as open as possible, and I'm planning on sharing as much as I can from time to time (probably weekly) so that the forum can get to know me BEFORE December, and I will happily share all of my thoughts during the event and after as I am allowed lol

I try to be as open as possible, and I'm planning on sharing as much as I can from time to time (probably weekly) so that the forum can get to know me BEFORE December
Don't forget you'll have a sitdown with me to introduce yourself as well! Don't give away allllll the information right away ;)

Don't forget you'll have a sitdown with me to introduce yourself as well! Don't give away allllll the information right away ;)
Oh you don’t need to worry!! I’m saving all the good stuff for you, my friend :)

Weekly Recap
Got the chance to head up to Madison, Wisconsin this past weekend to see my girlfriend’s family. We went to the Badgers game against Michigan. First time at Camp Randall and definitely a place I would go back to. Lots of thoughts on both teams, but I’ll save that for another time! Played golf on Sunday morning with my girlfriend’s dad before we drove back to Columbus on Monday. I promise I’m still in medical school despite all of the time I seem to spend on the golf course and such. I’m currently on my outpatient primary care rotation for the month of October, so my schedule is a little bit more flexible in terms of when I am in clinic and when I have time to study. I usually study in the morning before I head to clinic (or at the gym if I work out at the beginning of the day). If the weather seems like a good chance to get on the course, I will go straight from clinic to the course and spend an hour or two studying once I get home. I will share more about what a day in the life of a medical student looks like sometime in the next couple weeks!

IMG_2534.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.08.58 AM.png

October 3rd Round Recap
Lake Ridley Country Club (Cambridge, WI; 6,234 yards; 70.0/124)
Got the chance to play a round with my girlfriend’s dad at their new home course in Wisconsin this weekend for the first time. While the yardage on the card seems rather short, the course plays much more difficult because there are a few very short par 4s combined with 2 long par 3s (221 and 208) plus a longer par 5. Additionally, their greens are very small! Started off on a 278 yard par 4 and was green side with my 3 wood and got it up & down for a birdie to start the day. Chipped in on 3 for birdie and the day was rolling. Played well for the first 8 holes then made a mess of the long par 5 9th hole. Hit a good drive down the ride side and had a really good chance to get there in two. Pulled it left and was short sided with a tree in the way from 60 yards. Missed the green and couldn’t get up and down to save par. Bad bogey to say the least. 9-14 are easily the toughest stretch on the course, and it ate me up to the tune of +4 in 6 holes. Made a bogey from 65 yards in the middle of the fairway on 10 and hit it in the drink on the long par 3 12th. Was a little lose down the stretch but finished -1 on my last 4 holes for a respectable 71 (+1). Felt like I putted really well and just didn’t make the most of some opportunity. My Tiger 5 score was 4, and 3 of them came on holes 9 and 10. My goal is 2 or less per round. The bright side was that Jim shot his best round of the year (81, +11 for an 18 handicap) with a triple bogey on one of the short par 4s. So fun to see him play that well!!

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.07.43 AM.png

October 7th Round Recap

Golf Club of Dublin (Par 72, 6,363 yards, 70.3/130)
This round started off a little shaky! Actually had a good first hole and missed a short birdie putt. Battled my way through the next 4 holes and finally smashing a nice drive on hole 6 to get the day going. Had a 12 footer for eagle that I thought I holed but just didn’t have enough pace to hold the line I needed. Easy birdie on the next hole. Hit a bomb on 10 and had a chance to go for the green in 2 (325 yard off the tee to left side of fairway, 180 to the front left pin). Made a huge mistake and pulled my approach into the pond on the left, but got up and down for par thanks to a 12 footer. Tee shot on 11 found the fescue and had to chop out before missing a 15 footer for par. Finally got back on track and played okay golf the next few holes. Wasn’t having a great round and wanted to end on a strong note, so I took an aggressive choice off the tee with a driver and smashed one just short of the green. Got up and down to end on a birdie and finish at even for the day. Game seems to be in a pretty good place right now heading into the Grandaddy meetup in Cincy this weekend!

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.07.11 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.08.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.08.12 AM.png
    853.4 KB · Views: 3
NEXT UP: Follow the Morgan Cup Live Thread and a Grandaddy meetup in Cincinnati (Elks Run today and The Golf Club at Stonelick Hills tomorrow)! Going to be a phenomenal weekend!!

Grandaddy Meetup in Cincy (Oct. 9 & 10)
My first chance to hang out with my Grandaddy teammates (@Afizzle2100 @xThor @Golfers Anonymous @blazinden) and fellow THPers (@Canadan & @KY Golfer) did not disappoint! It was so cool to see how passionate these guys are about golf and everything THP. To see how invested all of them were in the Morgan Cup really showed how much they love THP. I knew the THP community was close, but to hear the guys talk about each member of the Morgan Cup teams was like they were played with them every weekend. It was so much fun to follow with these veterans of the Forum, and I felt like I was getting a history lesson on the Morgan Cup, Grandaddy, and THP.

On Saturday, we got the chance to play Elks Run in Batavia, OH. Honestly, I was a little amped up going into this round, and I didn't start too great. Felt like I was definitely rushing more than I typically do for the first few holes, and I am almost certain it was due to some adrenaline from meeting the guys for the first time. It didn't help that I found 2 fairway bunkers and 2 greenside bunkers within the first 4 holes, and my final score wasn't particularly great compared to how I had been playing. Still hit a few good shots throughout the round, but more importantly, it was a good chance to get to know @blazinden and @Golfers Anonymous. After the round, we went out to a cool brewery for dinner as a group and had some awesome conversations! After dinner, @Canadan was generous enough to invite us over to his place to chill and talk more golf. What a great guy! I've seen him frequently on the Forum, but he is simply a good dude that I am glad I got the chance to meet and learn more about THP from a staffer like him. These guys as a whole were great to be around, and I know that helped me relax on Sunday during the round.

Sunday, we went to The Golf Club @ Stonelick Hills (also Batavia, OH). We knew the course was punched earlier in the week, which made for some adventures on the putting green when it was combined with a THICK layer of Sunday morning dew. I absolutely love this course though. Such a great layout and amazing scenery in the fall. I was paired with @xThor @KY Golfer and @blazinden for this round. Honestly felt like I played pretty well this round! Bogeyed the first hole, but that was in large part thanks to not getting up and down from greenside due to the wet, shaggy greens. Hit plenty of good shots on the front nine until I got to hole 9! I can summarize that hole in 2 words: Tin Cup. The scorecard says 7 because of my handicap, but I hit my first tee shot in the water then 2 more from the rough after my 2nd tee shot. Found the long rough near the bison on Hole 10 and flubbed my way to another bogey. Hit what I thought was a really good tee shot on hole 11, but was lucky to find it near a dense patch of trees (highly recommend playing yellow balls in the fall!). Hit a really nice 70 yard wedge from the weeds and made about a 10-12 footer for my first birdie of the round. Made another birdie on the par 5 13th, and really cruised for most of the back nine. Took a bad line on my tee shot after being deceived by how far back left the pin was on the par 4 16th and ended up in a fairway bunker with about 60 yards to the green. Honestly should've played much more to the right and it would've been an easy birdie chance. Instead, I made a bogey after missing a 6 footer for par. @KY Golfer damn near aced #17 (scorecard is wrong, he had a 2!), and that was cool to see. Couldn't see the hole or his ball, but wow did it look good from the tee. Ended my day with a bang on 18. Hit my drive in the left rough and a little bit of an awkward lie with the ball above my feet. 170 yards downwind with a good lie, and I decided to choke down on a 9 iron and aim at the right 1/3 of the green. Ended up throwing a dart to about a foot and half to end with an eagle (see picture)! More importantly, my guy @xThor made his first birdie of the weekend on the 36th hole after a BEAUTIFUL approach into a tough green!

I can't wait for the rollercoaster the next couple months have in store. It is going to be such a fun ride with these fellas, and I am so honored to be part of this team!

Stonelick Hills Scorecard.jpg . Stonelick Hills cm24 Approach for Eagle on 18.jpg GDaddy Cincy Meetup.JPGcm24 Opening Tee Shot.jpgcm24 tee shot 2.jpgcm24 opening tee shot 3.jpg
Stonelick Hills Hole 1.jpgStonelick Hills Hole 3.jpgStonelick Hills Island Green Hole 9 Par 5.jpgStonelick Hills Course Mascot.jpg

My first chance to hang out with my Grandaddy teammates (@Afizzle2100 @xThor @Golfers Anonymous @blazinden) and fellow THPers (@Canadan & @KY Golfer) did not disappoint! It was so cool to see how passionate these guys are about golf and everything THP. To see how invested all of them were in the Morgan Cup really showed how much they love THP. I knew the THP community was close, but to hear the guys talk about each member of the Morgan Cup teams was like they were played with them every weekend. It was so much fun to follow with these veterans of the Forum, and I felt like I was getting a history lesson on the Morgan Cup, Grandaddy, and THP.

On Saturday, we got the chance to play Elks Run in Batavia, OH. Honestly, I was a little amped up going into this round, and I didn't start too great. Felt like I was definitely rushing more than I typically do for the first few holes, and I am almost certain it was due to some adrenaline from meeting the guys for the first time. It didn't help that I found 2 fairway bunkers and 2 greenside bunkers within the first 4 holes, and my final score wasn't particularly great compared to how I had been playing. Still hit a few good shots throughout the round, but more importantly, it was a good chance to get to know @blazinden and @Golfers Anonymous. After the round, we went out to a cool brewery for dinner as a group and had some awesome conversations! After dinner, @Canadan was generous enough to invite us over to his place to chill and talk more golf. What a great guy! I've seen him frequently on the Forum, but he is simply a good dude that I am glad I got the chance to meet and learn more about THP from a staffer like him. These guys as a whole were great to be around, and I know that helped me relax on Sunday during the round.

Sunday, we went to The Golf Club @ Stonelick Hills (also Batavia, OH). We knew the course was punched earlier in the week, which made for some adventures on the putting green when it was combined with a THICK layer of Sunday morning dew. I absolutely love this course though. Such a great layout and amazing scenery in the fall. I was paired with @xThor @KY Golfer and @blazinden for this round. Honestly felt like I played pretty well this round! Bogeyed the first hole, but that was in large part thanks to not getting up and down from greenside due to the wet, shaggy greens. Hit plenty of good shots on the front nine until I got to hole 9! I can summarize that hole in 2 words: Tin Cup. The scorecard says 7 because of my handicap, but I hit my first tee shot in the water then 2 more from the rough after my 2nd tee shot. Found the long rough near the bison on Hole 10 and flubbed my way to another bogey. Hit what I thought was a really good tee shot on hole 11, but was lucky to find it near a dense patch of trees (highly recommend playing yellow balls in the fall!). Hit a really nice 70 yard wedge from the weeds and made about a 10-12 footer for my first birdie of the round. Made another birdie on the par 5 13th, and really cruised for most of the back nine. Took a bad line on my tee shot after being deceived by how far back left the pin was on the par 4 16th and ended up in a fairway bunker with about 60 yards to the green. Honestly should've played much more to the right and it would've been an easy birdie chance. Instead, I made a bogey after missing a 6 footer for par. @KY Golfer damn near aced #17 (scorecard is wrong, he had a 2!), and that was cool to see. Couldn't see the hole or his ball, but wow did it look good from the tee. Ended my day with a bang on 18. Hit my drive in the left rough and a little bit of an awkward lie with the ball above my feet. 170 yards downwind with a good lie, and I decided to choke down on a 9 iron and aim at the right 1/3 of the green. Ended up throwing a dart to about a foot and half to end with an eagle (see picture)! More importantly, my guy @xThor made his first birdie of the weekend on the 36th hole after a BEAUTIFUL approach into a tough green!

I can't wait for the rollercoaster the next couple months have in store. It is going to be such a fun ride with these fellas, and I am so honored to be part of this team!

View attachment 9034542 . View attachment 9034550 View attachment 9034552View attachment 9034543View attachment 9034545View attachment 9034546
View attachment 9034547View attachment 9034548View attachment 9034549View attachment 9034551
SO glad you guys had a great weekend! Can't wait to get to meet you and play golf with you soon man!

View attachment 9034542 . View attachment 9034550 View attachment 9034552View attachment 9034543View attachment 9034545View attachment 9034546
View attachment 9034547View attachment 9034548View attachment 9034549View attachment 9034551
Looked like an incredible time was had by all. Frustrated that I couldn't join you guys but looking forward to meeting you in person!

SO glad you guys had a great weekend! Can't wait to get to meet you and play golf with you soon man!
Looked like an incredible time was had by all. Frustrated that I couldn't join you guys but looking forward to meeting you in person!
We had a blast! Wish it was the full crew because I can’t wait to meet you all and just have a good time doing what we all love to do!

Great updates! Keep them coming!

Road to the Grandaddy Update: October 24th
Golf game has taken a little bit of a back seat over the past couple weeks as my girlfriend's marathon took the priority in our household. I have to give her a huge shoutout because of how hard she trained. About 6 weeks ago, she actually suffered a low grade stress fracture in her foot that forced her to adjust her training regiment. In spite of this, she still beat her time from her first marathon!
F69C0ABF-AEB6-420D-A3D5-0C6915383BF1.JPG

For school, I'm going into the last week of my primary care rotation, which has been really nice. The shifts are 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm each day with 2 off shifts each week. This actually gave me the chance to get out for a round on Wednesday since I had a full day off. I am surprised by how much I enjoy the clinic schedule because you see a patient and come up with a plan for the patient all in a 30-40 minute appointment and do it again with each patient throughout the day.

This is one of the things that excites me about Emergency Medicine in the future. You get to see new patients constantly throughout the shift and are always doing something. A lot of people have suggested this is a potential downfall later in the career because it's easy to be high energy bouncing around in your 20's/30's/40's, but it is much more difficult when you get into your 60's/70's. As someone with a significant family heart history (grandpa had open heart surgery at 58 and dad had a severe heart attack at 42, both still alive and well), I'd be happy to live into my 60's! If I am still alive and practicing in my 60's or 70's but don't like the fast pace of the Emergency Department, I can always switch to Urgent Care, which is still acute visits but not as high acuity.

For November, I will be back at the Children's Hospital with the Pulmonology (lung) team for the first two weeks and the Infectious Disease for the next 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. This will be a very different schedule than my October one because the shifts are 7am-4pm Monday through Friday. The Thursday shift is 4pm-10pm instead of the 7am-4pm, so if I get lucky, I may be able to sneak a quick round on that day if the weather cooperates, but otherwise, I will be struggling to get out on the course unless I get lucky on the weekend!

Golf Recap
Got the chance to play 2 rounds this week after an 10 day hiatus after the Cincy trip. DEFINITELY an adjustment on the greens for the 1st 6 holes of my Wednesday round after playing on wet, shag carpet the 2nd day in Cincy. Greens both days were awesome, and my putting was actually pretty good especially yesterday! Playing the back tees whenever I can and trying to hit driver more frequently because of the potential it has. Back nine yesterday was almost 3500 yards, and it might actually have been longer cause 12 is a massive swinging dogleg from left to right that you can really only hit about 230 to 240 off the tee and it leaves you 180-200 for a second shot. 17 was 210 thanks to a back pin AND into the wind, which kinda makes up for the 212 yard par 3 13th that was downhill with the wind. Somehow hit both greens and really should've birdied 13. Swing is in a good place, and I came to a nice realization recently with my driver that could benefit me come December.

Thanks to a conversation with Captain @MattyD-MPLS, I realized that my driver ball flight when I'm going to a draw might be unstable because there isn't enough spin to keep it from the off the planet miss that I fear. This miss is ALWAYS a hard left turning draw, and it typically occurs when I try to hit a draw with the driver. I set up my driver this spring for a power fade with spin in the 2200-2400 RPM range. The lightbulb clicked in my head after our talk that those spin numbers might drop into the mid-high 1000s when I try to hit a draw, and that is not a playable flight! When I don't force the draw, I am surprised by how well I can hit it on holes that left me hit a 5-10 yard fade without needing to turn it over. I guess I will just need to pull out the 3 wood when I need to turn it over with a draw because that seems to be a much safer shot. Can't wait until December when I can find a driver that favors my preferred fade, but also has a more playable draw flight if I really need it. More importantly, I will make sure to find a 3 wood that I can hit on holes I need to turn it over because of the more stable ball flight.
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.46.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-24 at 12.46.53 PM.png

In case anyone is wondering where my handicap sits currently, here it is. I don't expect it to change a ton over the next 6 weeks before the GDaddy. Hopefully I will be able to play to this cap in California!

IMG_2657.jpg

Golf game has taken a little bit of a back seat over the past couple weeks as my girlfriend's marathon took the priority in our household. I have to give her a huge shoutout because of how hard she trained. About 6 weeks ago, she actually suffered a low grade stress fracture in her foot that forced her to adjust her training regiment. In spite of this, she still beat her time from her first marathon!
View attachment 9038051

For school, I'm going into the last week of my primary care rotation, which has been really nice. The shifts are 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm each day with 2 off shifts each week. This actually gave me the chance to get out for a round on Wednesday since I had a full day off. I am surprised by how much I enjoy the clinic schedule because you see a patient and come up with a plan for the patient all in a 30-40 minute appointment and do it again with each patient throughout the day.

This is one of the things that excites me about Emergency Medicine in the future. You get to see new patients constantly throughout the shift and are always doing something. A lot of people have suggested this is a potential downfall later in the career because it's easy to be high energy bouncing around in your 20's/30's/40's, but it is much more difficult when you get into your 60's/70's. As someone with a significant family heart history (grandpa had open heart surgery at 58 and dad had a severe heart attack at 42, both still alive and well), I'd be happy to live into my 60's! If I am still alive and practicing in my 60's or 70's but don't like the fast pace of the Emergency Department, I can always switch to Urgent Care, which is still acute visits but not as high acuity.

For November, I will be back at the Children's Hospital with the Pulmonology (lung) team for the first two weeks and the Infectious Disease for the next 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. This will be a very different schedule than my October one because the shifts are 7am-4pm Monday through Friday. The Thursday shift is 4pm-10pm instead of the 7am-4pm, so if I get lucky, I may be able to sneak a quick round on that day if the weather cooperates, but otherwise, I will be struggling to get out on the course unless I get lucky on the weekend!

Golf Recap
Got the chance to play 2 rounds this week after an 10 day hiatus after the Cincy trip. DEFINITELY an adjustment on the greens for the 1st 6 holes of my Wednesday round after playing on wet, shag carpet the 2nd day in Cincy. Greens both days were awesome, and my putting was actually pretty good especially yesterday! Playing the back tees whenever I can and trying to hit driver more frequently because of the potential it has. Back nine yesterday was almost 3500 yards, and it might actually have been longer cause 12 is a massive swinging dogleg from left to right that you can really only hit about 230 to 240 off the tee and it leaves you 180-200 for a second shot. 17 was 210 thanks to a back pin AND into the wind, which kinda makes up for the 212 yard par 3 13th that was downhill with the wind. Somehow hit both greens and really should've birdied 13. Swing is in a good place, and I came to a nice realization recently with my driver that could benefit me come December.

Thanks to a conversation with Captain @MattyD-MPLS, I realized that my driver ball flight when I'm going to a draw might be unstable because there isn't enough spin to keep it from the off the planet miss that I fear. This miss is ALWAYS a hard left turning draw, and it typically occurs when I try to hit a draw with the driver. I set up my driver this spring for a power fade with spin in the 2200-2400 RPM range. The lightbulb clicked in my head after our talk that those spin numbers might drop into the mid-high 1000s when I try to hit a draw, and that is not a playable flight! When I don't force the draw, I am surprised by how well I can hit it on holes that left me hit a 5-10 yard fade without needing to turn it over. I guess I will just need to pull out the 3 wood when I need to turn it over with a draw because that seems to be a much safer shot. Can't wait until December when I can find a driver that favors my preferred fade, but also has a more playable draw flight if I really need it. More importantly, I will make sure to find a 3 wood that I can hit on holes I need to turn it over because of the more stable ball flight.
View attachment 9038055View attachment 9038056
Great recap Cody! Kudos to your girlfriend on the marathon completion! Can’t wait to see your fitting, especially driver. Everything you like about the ED and primary care is why my wife likes medicine :LOL: be sure to say hi to Dr. Picca if you see him at the children's hospital!

View attachment 9038051

Golf Recap

View attachment 9038055View attachment 9038056
The driver will be an even greater strength come December!

Always enjoy these updates!

Nice name! Love the intro. Good luck and the granddaddy and kill it!!

Shoutout to @Tevenor!
So the past few weeks, my golf practice has been 100% indoors. It’s the first time in quite awhile that I’ve actually been able to watch my launch/spin with each club and a good chance to work on my distance control while I’ve got the launch monitor. My swing has been feeling pretty good, but I’ve noticed something on bad shots with my driver that echoed what I noticed on the course and was exactly what @MattyD-MPLS thought was happening on my bad missed with my driver.

On good shots, my launch and spin were 14°/2200-2400 rpm with a little fade and the right misses would spin up closer to 3000 rpms. The problem I was running into was when I tried to hit a draw. If I hit it well, it would be fine, but the mishits were disasters. The spin was as low as 1000rpms, which is why it would take that hard left turn into the next county.

After a nice chat with @Tevenor and a golf physics lesson, he recommended I try putting the sliding weight of my TSi3 to T2 instead of Neutral like it had been. The difference was noticeable immediately. On my first couple swings, I was swinging a little more conservatively and hitting some nice good shots with a little extra spin that stayed down the right side. I decided to take a rip at one and it was a bullet 3 yard fade.
56971E42-E546-49E7-B2B7-10F6089E220B.jpegAfter about the 7th driver, I finally made the disaster swing that would be left going left. Thanks to that small CG change, I was able to return enough spin to keep it playable.
AFDA3E5F-7F4C-4466-9B1D-58E3899B8EA3.jpegWhen I finally hit a draw on purpose, this was the result. I haven’t had the confidence to hit this shot all year. If I need a draw, I always go to my 3 wood. I can’t wait until the pros at the ECPC get the chance to dial me in even further! The thing I know is that the extra weight in the toe might mean I’m asking for a little hot melt in December!! Tev, thank you a ton!! I’m so pumped!!
18AAC0F1-23E1-41BB-8B85-D9A8C3C3C244.jpeg

Shoutout to @Tevenor!
So the past few weeks, my golf practice has been 100% indoors. It’s the first time in quite awhile that I’ve actually been able to watch my launch/spin with each club and a good chance to work on my distance control while I’ve got the launch monitor. My swing has been feeling pretty good, but I’ve noticed something on bad shots with my driver that echoed what I noticed on the course and was exactly what @MattyD-MPLS thought was happening on my bad missed with my driver.

On good shots, my launch and spin were 14°/2200-2400 rpm with a little fade and the right misses would spin up closer to 3000 rpms. The problem I was running into was when I tried to hit a draw. If I hit it well, it would be fine, but the mishits were disasters. The spin was as low as 1000rpms, which is why it would take that hard left turn into the next county.

After a nice chat with @Tevenor and a golf physics lesson, he recommended I try putting the sliding weight of my TSi3 to T2 instead of Neutral like it had been. The difference was noticeable immediately. On my first couple swings, I was swinging a little more conservatively and hitting some nice good shots with a little extra spin that stayed down the right side. I decided to take a rip at one and it was a bullet 3 yard fade.
View attachment 9043554After about the 7th driver, I finally made the disaster swing that would be left going left. Thanks to that small CG change, I was able to return enough spin to keep it playable.
View attachment 9043555When I finally hit a draw on purpose, this was the result. I haven’t had the confidence to hit this shot all year. If I need a draw, I always go to my 3 wood. I can’t wait until the pros at the ECPC get the chance to dial me in even further! The thing I know is that the extra weight in the toe might mean I’m asking for a little hot melt in December!! Tev, thank you a ton!! I’m so pumped!!
View attachment 9043556
Is anyone else going to be able to concentrate at ECPC when you are sending nuclear missiles down range!

Is anyone else going to be able to concentrate at ECPC when you are sending nuclear missiles down range!
I'm wondering if they will have to keep the airspace clear around the ECPC for his fitting 😁

I'm wondering if they will have to keep the airspace clear around the ECPC for his fitting 😁
Hitting the Boomstick! Driving all the Nesters nuts!

Back