Introduction and Request for Feedback

BahBahBS

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi. New member from SF, CA and I've been lurking for a couple month's now. Finally in the market for some new clubs.

I have a question about shaft fittings if someone can work through the following with me:

I'm 49 and 5/6th's yrs old, started golfing when I was 22. Just started playing again regularly after playing 2-4 rounds a year for the last four or five yrs. About three months ago my wife asked me if I want to go to Bandon Dunes for my 50th in March. I said yes and have been playing at least once a week since. Now in the market for some new irons.

My three sets since I started playing are some KMart Dunlops, Lynx Parallax (prob 1" too long, at least) and the Titleist 735 DCM's I've been playing for 13-14 yrs. The DCM's were bought at Golf Mart, just walked in, looked at the used demo's for sale, hit some, liked the DCM's and that was it.

I did my first fitting ever on Sat and was really hoping I'd fit into the Hogan PTX Pro/Apex combo or the Srixon ZX combo, especially after living in those threads on THP for a couple weeks now. Was especially hoping the Hogan's would be a good fit because value (less $) and I like the looks.

Srixon and Hogan just weren't working at the fitting and long story short is the fitter ended up putting me in a Project X LZ 6.0 with the Apex '21. I kept pushing everything right of centerline on straight flight paths. The fitter did ask for a draw and I was able to put very playable shots on the ball when thinking about a draw at address. I was getting about 10-15 yards extra carry over the 735's 6 iron but I striped the 735 with my typical ball flight, slight draw, and the grouping was tightest of everything I hit. So, I wasn't stoked on the Apex. I was like, yeah, I guess I could get these and end up working with them. In the hitting bay at the fitting I was thinking maybe I'll just rehaft my 735's.

I then asked if I could hit the Apex Pro's which I felt were a little aspirational for me playing to a 14 hc. From the get go, w/the PX LZ 6.0's, I was dead centerline with a slight draw. They FELT so much better, they sounded better (made me realize how clicky the Apex sounded), and the extra weight at address felt really nice to me. My mindset went from, I can make these work for me, I guess (w/the Apex), to I can play with these right now, AND they're more forgiving than my 735's. The Apex Pro grouping was tighter than the Apex group, they sounded and felt way better, like smile on my face better, and I only lost two yards on average versus the Apex. So, sold.

My question is about the shaft and swing weight. The Apex clubhead is the one we used through shaft fitting, loft and lie settings, etc. The Apex Pro trial was kind of a what the hell, why not try it before I head out the door deal...Struck it better than the Apex, loved the way it looked at address and the way it sounded and felt while striking it. From there we didn't revisit the shaft or lie angle. So my question is, is that how it works? ...does it make sense that the shaft that was dialed in with the Apex would be my ideal shaft in the Apex Pro? Also, the swing weight is D7. Seems heavy looking at it on paper. I have no idea what the swing weight on my 735s is but they are DG300s shafts which are heavier from what I gather. Is D7 a kook heavy swing weight?

Any feedback is welcomed. My apologies for such a needy intro, but love the site and the endless forum threads. Get's me stoked to go hit some golf balls. :)

Best to all, and thx for the space to air my neurosis.

Welcome to THP!

regarding your question, it all comes down to fit for the player. So I am not surprised at all a shaft that was okay in one head ends up working better in another. Clubs aren’t made to do the same thing so the spin and launch profile of the shaft matched up better with the Pro for your swing. You found what worked and are going with it. I wouldn’t question it from there.

Regarding swing weight, that does sound a little heavy but again, if it’s working how you want it to, it’s just a number. I mean I don’t even know what the swing weight of my irons are. I just know they feel good and I hit them well lol

I’m sure you can get a more detailed explanation from others and that’s why this place is awesome! Again, welcome man!

Ok. Thanks. Really appreciate the feedback and the welcome. Makes me a lot more comfortable moving forward with this. I was getting pretty squirrely overthinking it. Really appreciate it.

Welcome. I used to build clubs (custom). Are the proposed irons also an inch long? That could be the SW thing and if so have you considered a lighter shaft? I would be more concerned with total weight personally and not so with SW if feels good when swinging. I was recently fitted one inch long (PXG on a Vereran discount) but with Accra graphite and are about D1. Sounds like you have a pretty fast swing so in the end rely on fitting and performance. Good luck!

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Those Apex Pro's have got a lot of heads turning!

Like @Muchmore18 said, I wouldn't worry too much about the shaft/head combo if you were happy with what you saw (flight, spin, dispersion etc.). Sounds like you found something that could work. And really, the Pro's aren't too far off from your 735's - like you said, probably a little more forgiving!

Swing weight does sound a little heavy at D7, but again, if you're happy with the results I'd just go with it. If I remember, the stated swing weight of those off the rack was around D2 when paired with the stock shaft.

:welcome:

Welcome. I used to build clubs (custom). Are the proposed irons also an inch long? That could be the SW thing and if so have you considered a lighter shaft? I would be more concerned with total weight personally and not so with SW if feels good when swinging. I was recently fitted one inch long (PXG on a Vereran discount) but with Accra graphite and are about D1. Sounds like you have a pretty fast swing so in the end rely on fitting and performance. Good luck!

The shafts are standard length, but they're 5g heavier than the stock offering and they're .5 degree upright which I saw somewhere is a slight bump in SW. I think I hear what everyone is putting out there though. If that was the fit don't overthink it, especially if it felt money, and it did.

***** I AM SO HAPPY YOU POSTED!!!! You said you got the PXG's on a Vereran discount. I was like, what is that? How do I get one? Is that a Veteran discount? Wonder if Callaway has a Veteran discount? 15%!!!! You just saved me close to a couple hundred bucks! High five!

The shafts are standard length, but they're 5g heavier than the stock offering and they're .5 degree upright which I saw somewhere is a slight bump in SW. I think I hear what everyone is putting out there though. If that was the fit don't overthink it, especially if it felt money, and it did.

***** I AM SO HAPPY YOU POSTED!!!! You said you got the PXG's on a Vereran discount. I was like, what is that? How do I get one? Is that a Veteran discount? Wonder if Callaway has a Veteran discount? 15%!!!! You just saved me close to a couple hundred bucks! High five!

Great and so Callaway has a 15% that is good. https://www.callawaygolf.com/military-discount-program/ Great clubs and is full line vs PXG on specific models. Ever in the DC area send me an email and lets play. I am a retired Army doctor and work for the VA these days.

Welcome to THP. As you can already see, there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here, enjoy the forums!

Great and so Callaway has a 15% that is good. https://www.callawaygolf.com/military-discount-program/ Great clubs and is full line vs PXG on specific models. Ever in the DC area send me an email and lets play. I am a retired Army doctor and work for the VA these days.

Thx Doc. Pulled the trigger on Tues and the veteran discount saved me $222, soooo appreciate your input. Haven't made it out to DC in 15+ yrs or so, but if you make it out to SF and want to play Harding Park hit me up, and thank you for taking care of the veterans who've made their way home.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP

Back