Iomic grip review

scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
I've seen this grip come up from time to time on here so I figured I'd chime in with some of my views. They are exspensive and can hardly be found anywhere but online, so maybe it will help.
FYI:I've tried most grips out there the past several years, almost always went back to the GP mulitcompounds. Now I am fairly young still, but I do have mild arthritis, CTS, etc from my years of hard wear and playing the guitar likely. My hands really started to bother me last fall. I would also notice some mild cracks in my hands from hard practice. Yes, don;t grip so tight, but still felt and showed signs of it.

First I tried the X Evolutions on a few woods and irons.
They are a little firmer and have more of a raised pattern. They felt nice, but something wasn't for me. I still have a few on clubs I don't use too much anymore.

Next I tried the putter grip that the one young lady from Big Break (who used to post here) so kindly gave to several members, It felt nice, but something on the putter didn't feel right for me. Recently I tried another one on a putter and once again, just not my putter grip of choice.

I tried two of the regular sticky models. They look and feel somewhat like a Tour Velvet, but much nicer in both areas. Again, I needed to feel something like cord or whatnot. Just not for me.

Then last year the Opus X came out (fancy multicolor version of their X model). Dang, they look awesome!
Before this season started I bought a few for a couple of clubs that they "would look cool on, even if I never used those clubs that much." I was happily suprised:banana:

They have the soft comfy feel (not like a gushy tour wrap or anything), but the tackiness is great and a slight raised pattern that doesn't make me miss the half cord sensation.

I ordered more for the rest of my irons. Great! Few more for my driver and 3w...again, perfect.

Now having lots of white in them, they do get dirty fast, but they are very easy to clean with a solvent and be as new, much easier than soap.

Per wear, they claim to last twice as long as other brands, we'll see. So far they are wearing great, actually no real noticable wear. I can't say how many rounds they have on them, but quite a few by now and many, many range balls. I can say that compared to other grips where I would normally start noticing grip contatc points beginning to spot, nothing on these.

The biggest factor I like is that my hands are not getting nearly as sore and the rips from drier skin have went away compared to my old multicompounds. I truly believe they have helped my soreness considerably. They look cool, are wearing well, and helping my hands.
Sure, they are close to twice the price of most higher end grips, but I'm sold bigtime. I actually just ordered a few more to complete my set with the other odd wedges I rotate in for certain courses.

If you are thinking of trying Iomic, just try them as they might truly work for you. Wnated to share with my pals on here.

Good review Scooter. Thanks. I have always wanted to try these so maybe I will give them a shot at replacement time.

I am in need of a putter grip and I got this on Ebay for 1 cent! Hope I like it. I've never heard of Iomic before.(NEW Iomic Golf Pistol 65g Midsize Putter Grip)

I am in need of a putter grip and I got this on Ebay for 1 cent!

Score!

Thanks for the review Scooter, am on the verge of dipping my toes into a few Iomics (putter and wood), lucky someone bumped this thread, found the info pretty useful.

I just bought an X-Evolution for my driver and new putter grip. I've always wanted to try these and if I like them, I'll have to try the sticky's on some irons. I'd love to have a set of irons with a different grip color combo on every club.

IOMIC sticky 2.3 grips

IOMIC sticky 2.3 grips

I also just put an X-Evolution IOMIC grip on my r9 driver. Interestly, I measured the grip before and after installing the grip and found the X-Evolution IOMIC grip slightly smaller than the factory installed taylormade grip. Both grips had the same amount of tape (just the single layer of double sided tape). So... the IOMIC X-Evolution grip installed is about the size of a standard grip (only slightly smaller). I intend to remove the grip, add 2 layers of tape build up and put the grip back on the club.

My irons are the taylormade r7s. The factory grip from Taylormade on the irons are the tour velvet model. Prior to this set, I typically regripped with the GP multi-decade grips. Since playing the r7 irons, I now prefer the softer feel of the tour velvet grips and have decided to try the Sticky 2.3 IOMIC model. The sticky 2.3 grips are supposed to be slightly smaller than the GP midsized grips. That should be perfect for my optimal size.

No big rush here since its now offically cold enough to snow here in PA so I will likely not order the grips until March. I will post back after I install and play the sticky 2.3 grips.

I have a couple clubs coming back with Iomic grips as they are used by Vibrant due to the colours. I will post a review as well as soon as they arrive.

I have the IOmic Absolute putter grip on my Nike Method and love it. Has a rigid pattern on it which it a little tackinesss which I like... as opposes to their traditional smooth grip.

Great job Scooter. Some new options for me on the next change.

I am glad this thread got bumped back up cause i was thinking about trying these out on my new Ci9's but, i didnt know anything about them . I toyed around with one a couple of weeks ago at Golf Headquarters and i noticed how soft they felt while still feeling firm and very tacky but , i also noticed the price . My Ci9's will be here soon and i think i will start out with one on my 8-iron and driver before i jump all the way in . BTW great review scooter very informative , thanx .

I just put on an Iomic LARGE putter grip and was a bit dissapointed. They say that their large size is similar to a Winn MID size pistol grip. When I got the grip, I compared the two and the Iomic is definatley SMALLER than the Winn MID size. In fact the Iomic was only a hair bigger than my stock putter grip.
I can only imagine what Iomic's regular size must be....probably way too small.

I game the Iomic midsize putter grip and love it.

Iomic sticky 2.3

Iomic sticky 2.3

This weather is just killing us golfers here in the northeast. We are getting yet another snow storm on wednesday into thursday. The local courses have been unplayable for over a month.

I just ordered 9 IOMIC Sticky 2.3 grips on EBAY. I am regripping my r7 irons. I will update this thread once I have them installed.

How about some pictures! These sound wicked.

I put a white midsize Iomic on my SeeMore M1. It is smaller than I thought it would be but I absolutely love it. I would say their midsize is more like a standard size. I paid about $18 total from http://regripit.com/. I looked on Ebay and they were about that price when including shipping (sure hate that I missed out on that .01 deal). I found this website through an online search and they had great customer service reviews. Received it in two days. If I remember right, their prices include free shipping.

considering it could cost ~$200 to do your whole set with these things, they better be pretty damn special...

In case you're wondering how the midsize Iomic compares in size to other putter grips, here's a standard Odyssey and an oversized Winn grip next to one.

I have a couple of the Iomic Midsize on my Taylormade putters. I think they are a 100% improvement from the stock grips..

I ended up paying 13.33 per grip. I used the make offer option on EBAY. The seller was thegolfsource. The asking price was 139 for 9 grips. They accepted my $120 offer. I got the grips today. I will be installing them tomorrow morning on my irons (4 through Sand Wedge (including a gap wedge). I plan on hitting them at the range in the afternoon.

We have a golf range local called mad golfer range (South Hampton, PA). They claim to be open 24X7 365 days a year. This range has been keeping my sanity throughout this continued ridiculous winter weather pattern we are in. I wonder how far south on I-95 I need to drive to find a course that is not covered with snow and has a temp above 45? I am just north of Philadelphia.

We easily have over a foot of snow still on the ground. And the weather forecast for wednesday Feb 2nd is another huge storm...I really hope this one ends up as rain fest so i can finally see grass on the local muni.

I installed one of the IOMIC 2.3 sticky grips on my r7 6-iron. After I gave the grip time to settle on the shaft, I measured the grip (used my grip/butt gage). It measured out 1/32nd smaller than the original OEM r7 grip. I used an extra 3 wraps on each club to build up to the size to match the original r7 grips.

The Core size of the IOMICs are supposed to be the same as the r7 OEM grip (.600).

Cracks me up that the Sticky 2.3's are classified as a midsize grip. I am guessing that is for the smaller hand Japanese players.

If you are getting these grips installed, and want the a similar size to the OEM installed grips (or GP multi grips) you definitely will need to ask for build up tape.

In case you're wondering how the midsize Iomic compares in size to other putter grips, here's a standard Odyssey and an oversized Winn grip next to one.

I have an Iomic on my Vibranted Ghost putter and wanted to go midsize so I ordered a "midsize" Iomic off ebay. The grip that came is exactly the same size as the one thats already on my putter and the same exact size as all my standard grips. Wasnt too happy about that. Guess if you want "midsize" you have to order large?

IOmic is a Japanese company if I remember correctly. Therefore it must be like Japanese clothing - order a size larger that what you think you need.

IOmic is a Japanese company if I remember correctly. Therefore it must be like Japanese clothing - order a size larger that what you think you need.

Yeah I think youre correct. Ive been looking around for the LARGE next. Or I may just go to the Win AVS Pistol. The white Iomic is just looking to get all dirty and ugly.

We got an Iomic putter grip from Blingoqueen two seasons ago and put it on Jacqui's putter. She used it for a few rounds and hated it so we replaced it.

I can't stand the Iomic iron grips and any of their clones. The feeling is just wrong to me. Their putter grips, on the other hand, I love. I have a large on my mFGP, m1 and Yes Nicky. The m3 i had before had a midsize that I liked.

Back