JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Downloading now.

how-to-use-iphone-ipad-home-screen-widgets-ios-14.jpg

I have it downloaded and need to dig into the functionality more. I’ve never been a widget guy but this might change my mind

Welcome to widgets and Picture in picture.

• Admin
I have it downloaded and need to dig into the functionality more. I’ve never been a widget guy but this might change my mind
Reminds me a lot of what I had with Android. Which I liked

Downloaded it Friday, I HATE that I have to redo permissions on some apps. Super annoying. The widgets bring me back to Android but still not on that level IMO. Some fun things though, like you double tap the back of your phone for a shortcut, I have mine set to do a screenshot.

I downloaded it on Friday and like it so far. I like the orange and green dot on the top of the screen. I had to look up what it meant but I like it. Widgets are kind of cool, I use a couple.

A couple features I really like is the ability to pin conversations in messages and the small overlay when someone calls when you are doing something instead of taking over the whole screen

The widgets will be cooler once other apps take advantage. It was dumb to surprise release this with no developer warning.

Downloaded it yesterday. Still trying to figure out all the new functions.

I installed Wed just for Watch OS 7 and the sleep tracking. It’s basic, but I haven’t used a sleep tracker before.

I haven’t played around with the phone changes/ new features yet.

I downloaded it and have been playing with it for a few days. It may be the least buggy x.0 release from Apple I've seen in a while, haven't encountered any glitches yet. I'm not a "power user" so some of the new stuff is inconsequential to me. I do have a widget stack on my home screen - weather, calendar and battery %. Widgets will probably become more useful and appealing when more apps can take advantage of the functionality.

Installed yesterday, can’t say I’ve noticed much difference but than I’m not really into all that stuff.

I think I'll probably wait for .1, or at least .0.1.

I haven't really noticed that much difference from 13 either to be honest

As with any new release, it pays to go over ALL your previous settings. Apple tends to reset many things to what THEY want. “Wi-Fi Assist” being a prime example. If you travel or roam about, you want that OFF. It will use cellular data to help if you have a shaky Wi-Fi connection. It will do that EVEN IF YOU HAVE “Cellular roaming” OFF. If you are in a foreign country, your carrier will sock you for $$$$ in fees. That’s how you end up with those $500 charges on your bill. I always turn off cellular data while traveling, if the Wi-Fi is shaky, then so be it. I’m on vacation and don’t need to constantly check my emails or FB.

I installed, pleasantly surprised I have seen zero issues so far. Not a big widget guy, but will dive into it more in the coming days

Anybody who comes up with some cool widget ideas, feel free to share them. To me it’s probably the most potentially useful part of the new OS.

I’ll read more about what this release includes and see if it’s one that I want to download right away or wait for v.1...

I’m not too sure about the App library. Just the fact that you can’t make your own groupings, or rearrange the way Apple decided to group them isn’t great. I guess we’ll have to wait for ios15 for that.

I’m not too sure about the App library. Just the fact that you can’t make your own groupings, or rearrange the way Apple decided to group them isn’t great. I guess we’ll have to wait for ios15 for that.
Maybe I just don’t get it, but I have no use for the App Library. It could be the most useless feature of the whole update to me. I leave it on the last page all by itself so I don’t even have to see it. I use folders for some of my apps, which I can arrange and put wherever I want - that makes a lot more sense, IMO.

Anyone else noticing the red dot in the top right? They are listening!

The only irritating thing I’ve found so far (and it’s pretty irritating) is that when you come to the forums in the THP app, it continually pops up a recommendation for the Tapatalk app at the top of the screen. I never noticed it do that in iOS 13.

The only irritating thing I’ve found so far (and it’s pretty irritating) is that when you come to the forums in the THP app, it continually pops up a recommendation for the Tapatalk app at the top of the screen. I never noticed it do that in iOS 13.
It did it before the upgrade too. I think it’s part of the forum software

It did it before the upgrade too. I think it’s part of the forum software
Interesting, I never noticed it before. Wish there was a way to make it go away, I have no desire to use Tapatalk.

Oh, I really like the “Double Tap Back” thing. I check the weather radar quite a bit, so just tapping twice opens it up.
Haven’t really dug too deep (other than resetting my preferences) into a lot of other features just yet.

Been on it the last couple days. I’m a fan. Not life changing, but a couple things that are nice.

I really like some of the iPadOS updates, and Scribble has become super useful.

Back