Iphone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro

I enjoy how Lixi dives into video stuff, and here are their pros and cons of the new iPhone from that side.

I enjoy how Lixi dives into video stuff, and here are their pros and cons of the new iPhone from that side.

Interesting stuff for sure.

His complaints seem pretty valid. Apple has been pushing the narrative that you can use the iPhone as a professional camera for a long time, but the camera app has been mediocre for a long time. Which is a bit frustrating as most people won’t shell out for the higher end video/camera apps that take full advantage of the hardware.

Interesting stuff for sure.

His complaints seem pretty valid. Apple has been pushing the narrative that you can use the iPhone as a professional camera for a long time, but the camera app has been mediocre for a long time. Which is a bit frustrating as most people won’t shell out for the higher end video/camera apps that take full advantage of the hardware.

I believe they are the best of the bunch or close to it. I agree with him though, if the biggest update this phone received is the camera and its over a grand, the software should be ready and in this instance it isn't yet. The coolest feature they showed at launch is vacant as he pointed out. That odd zoom to another camera you have in place, but it does digital is also super strange. Having to use third party software to have your camera run the best codec is just terrible though.

I believe they are the best of the bunch or close to it. I agree with him though, if the biggest update this phone received is the camera and its over a grand, the software should be ready and in this instance it isn't yet. That odd zoom to another camera you have in place, but it does digital is also super strange and awkward. Having to use third party software to have your camera run the best codec is just terrible though.

I think this is another case of a hardware company struggling to make good software honestly. While Apple has made some stellar software it’s typically pretty localized. iTunes has been trash since the beginning, Safari is a pain to write webpages for, yet Final Cut Pro is really good video software. Apple is slowly learning to be a services company, so I have hope that their software will improve, but i think it’s going to be a long road, filled with these kinds of issues.

Something I just thought about, the camera app on android is a revenue (consumer data) generating app, so I think they’re a bit more driven to keep people using it.

I think this is another case of a hardware company struggling to make good software honestly. While Apple has made some stellar software it’s typically pretty localized. iTunes has been trash since the beginning, Safari is a pain to write webpages for, yet Final Cut Pro is really good video software. Apple is slowly learning to be a services company, so I have hope that their software will improve, but i think it’s going to be a long road, filled with these kinds of issues.

Something I just thought about, the camera app on android is a revenue (consumer data) generating app, so I think they’re a bit more driven to keep people using it.

I agree there. Fortunately Lightroom for iOS is pretty solid as are a few others. For video, not a lot of simple and solid options, but I do believe Apple is just a bit behind on video compared to being a leader in photo. Their hardware is as good as anybody, but as pointed out in the video, the software is a bit clunky. Hopefully with a few more updates to add to the 713 already, they nail it because this has potential to be rock solid.

Still waiting on 5G version, but its getting there.

I agree there. Fortunately Lightroom for iOS is pretty solid as are a few others. For video, not a lot of simple and solid options, but I do believe Apple is just a bit behind on video compared to being a leader in photo. Their hardware is as good as anybody, but as pointed out in the video, the software is a bit clunky. Hopefully with a few more updates to add to the 713 already, they nail it because this has potential to be rock solid.

Still waiting on 5G version, but its getting there.

I’ll be honest, I’d be a little surprised if we see a 5g phone for the next iteration of the iPhone. I know the pundits are saying it’s going to happen, so I may be wrong, but I don’t think the actual ‘need‘ for it is there yet. I think it’ll be 2 generations before it’s there. Sadly I think it’ll be even longer before it’s actually useable from the carriers for most of the country.

I’ll be honest, I’d be a little surprised if we see a 5g phone for the next iteration of the iPhone. I know the pundits are saying it’s going to happen, so I may be wrong, but I don’t think the actual ‘need‘ for it is there yet. I think it’ll be 2 generations before it’s there. Sadly I think it’ll be even longer before it’s actually useable from the carriers for most of the country.

It could be. Although I believe for many we are going to start seeing it become more usable by 3rd-4th quarter, so I am not sure they could release another and get the same traction. The good news for me, the longer it takes the longer I get to keep my money :ROFLMAO:

I don’t know, I’d argue that Apple is just more than a hardware company. Until recent years, their software quality has been top notch. They’re still running into issues with trying to run their software development like they did when they didn’t have 4 OS to manage, and it’s showing. They need to add time in between software releases and decouple them from the hardware or something. As for Safari, we’ve never had an issue with it, developing largely for Chrome.

I think another issue they have is giving everything the “pro” moniker. It artificially raises people’s expectations. The camera app probably makes the right choices for the majority of users, but when you go after pros you need to give them levels of control that they’re not right now. The new Camera APIs are great and they make apps like Halide even more powerful - you don’t have to give up the processing Apple does if you don’t want to now. But I think a lot of the features that app provides should be integrated into the main app If you’re making a “pro” app.

I don’t know, I’d argue that Apple is just more than a hardware company. Until recent years, their software quality has been top notch. They’re still running into issues with trying to run their software development like they did when they didn’t have 4 OS to manage, and it’s showing. They need to add time in between software releases and decouple them from the hardware or something. As for Safari, we’ve never had an issue with it, developing largely for Chrome.

I think another issue they have is giving everything the “pro” moniker. It artificially raises people’s expectations. The camera app probably makes the right choices for the majority of users, but when you go after pros you need to give them levels of control that they’re not right now. The new Camera APIs are great and they make apps like Halide even more powerful - you don’t have to give up the processing Apple does if you don’t want to now. But I think a lot of the features that app provides should be integrated into the main app If you’re making a “pro” app.

As evidence of Apple not making good software. I present: iTunes. /thread.

I kid ?
Apple has made some great software for sure, but they’ve also had a history of making terrible software and not ever fixing it, or even acknowledging that it’s garbage. They’ve relied on app developers to take advantage of the hardware power, but that doesn’t help the average user who isn’t going to download, let alone pay for a higher quality app.

I fully agree that they need to integrate some of the power into the native apps, especially if you’re going to call something “pro”.

As evidence of Apple not making good software. I present: iTunes. /thread.

I kid ?
Apple has made some great software for sure, but they’ve also had a history of making terrible software and not ever fixing it, or even acknowledging that it’s garbage. They’ve relied on app developers to take advantage of the hardware power, but that doesn’t help the average user who isn’t going to download, let alone pay for a higher quality app.

I fully agree that they need to integrate some of the power into the native apps, especially if you’re going to call something “pro”.

Yeah, that’s where the running the company like where they were when they were underdogs - 1-2 people on a given product, etc. Kills them. Not fixing “old” bugs. It’s infuriating. I still think the mobile platform is better than anyone else’s, especially when it comes to what people are able to produce in terms of apps. But it’s not as cut and dry.

The cameras on the 11 Pro are really, really good though. I didn’t bring my “real” camera on vacation to Hawaii with me and I didn’t really miss it. And that’s the first time I could say that.

I agree that there won’t be a need for most of us for 5G in 2020. It will take years before 5G is widespread. If you live very close to the center of a large city you will obviously get it sooner. I live 8.5 miles from downtown Minneapolis that already has 5G in a very limited area of downtown and I’m not expecting 5G coverage until 2021 or 2022.

Estimates by GSMA Intelligence are for 50% 5G connections in 2025 for the U.S. so the majority of us will be mostly on 4G for the next 5 years or longer. I’m sure that won’t stop the masses from rushing out to upgrade to a 5G phone in the next two years. It should be a great upgrade cycle for Apple and Samsung as they will be able to charge and extra couple hundred for the 5G phones.

39A654A4-3B99-4D6D-8650-19DD287CD369.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s where the running the company like where they were when they were underdogs - 1-2 people on a given product, etc. Kills them. Not fixing “old” bugs. It’s infuriating. I still think the mobile platform is better than anyone else’s, especially when it comes to what people are able to produce in terms of apps. But it’s not as cut and dry.

The cameras on the 11 Pro are really, really good though. I didn’t bring my “real” camera on vacation to Hawaii with me and I didn’t really miss it. And that’s the first time I could say that.

They are really good. In fact on par with most of what is out there. There is no reason to miss a couple of things listed in the video though. You added three cameras, but if you zoom rather than switching, it degrades. That is bad. Multi-cam sessions necessary fix, although I fear this is never coming natively on this device. And finally, there is absolutely no reason that Apple has limited the codec to improve video. When prodded on it, no response. It clearly works. It’s just their video software is dated. That is tough for a product over a grand with a Pro moniker.

They are really good. In fact on par with most of what is out there. There is no reason to miss a couple of things listed in the video though. You added three cameras, but if you zoom rather than switching, it degrades. That is bad. Multi-cam sessions necessary fix, although I fear this is never coming natively on this device. And finally, there is absolutely no reason that Apple has limited the codec to improve video. When prodded on it, no response. It clearly works. It’s just their video software is dated. That is tough for a product over a grand with a Pro moniker.

I know they highlighted some of the multi-camera capture stuff during the keynote, but they’re so far behind on, well, everything that I don’t know if we’ll see that. I haven’t followed the video stuff as much just because it’s not a medium I do anything with but that does sound like there’s way more they could be doing there.

The most detailed and balance review I have found by anybody is by Linus. Really good info here. I went looking for it, when I thought my 8 bricked yesterday, but came through and started working, so more waiting for me.

Thanks to my iPhone 8 not working properly I am now the “proud” owner of an iPhone 11

Thanks to my iPhone 8 not working properly I am now the “proud” owner of an iPhone 11

The battery life has been really impressive for me on the 11 Pro Max. Probably the best I've ever seen in the smart phone era. This was after 15hrs with A LOT of screen on time. IMG_1916.png

Welcome to the club!

The battery life has been really impressive for me on the 11 Pro Max. Probably the best I've ever seen in the smart phone era. This was after 15hrs with A LOT of screen on time. View attachment 8914554

Viewjng the two, I just couldn’t fathom spending the extra money a Pro model. I’m sure it works great for people though.

The battery life has been really impressive for me on the 11 Pro Max. Probably the best I've ever seen in the smart phone era. This was after 15hrs with A LOT of screen on time. View attachment 8914554

I didn't realize my wireless charger was unplugged at home, so I went all night and until I got home from work the next day with a charge. Still had plenty of juice left too.

Viewjng the two, I just couldn’t fathom spending the extra money a Pro model. I’m sure it works great for people though.
I sold my other phone and knocked it down near the price of the 11. Otherwise, I was right there with you.

I sold my other phone and knocked it down near the price of the 11. Otherwise, I was right there with you.

I did the same (trade in) despite it not functioning properly and it knocked it down to iPhone 8 price :ROFLMAO:

I‘m with you. Held both in hand and just couldn’t pull the trigger on the (not-quite) “Pro”

I did the same (trade in) despite it not functioning properly and it knocked it down to iPhone 8 price :ROFLMAO:

Hahahaha! Touche'

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB

I use the telephoto lens a good amount, and was going on a big trip the week after I needed to buy a phone. The OLED screen is nice, but not worth the $ IMO, and I'll probably go back to the "standard" model next time.

For people that like camera stuff and taking pictures, I urge you to check out the Lightroom App. Forget the editing features which are tremendous, the in app camera is super impressive. I have tried most and like Halide a lot too, but this one is so good.

Back