Go and get the new power block and thank me later. It’s $20 from Apple and will charge your phone in about an hour. Worth every single penny!!!!!

isn’t a good wireless charger basically doing the same thing?

isn’t a good wireless charger basically doing the same thing?
Maybe. I haven’t used a wireless charger so couldn’t say.

I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro as we switched all 5 of our family phones over to T Mobile from At&t and they were offering an $830 trade in for my old iPhone. I didn't really need a new phone but the fact that we lack cellular coverage at our FL condo and also have had poor customer service from At&t that it was a no brainer to switch carriers.

Out of curiousity I've tested the 5G capability at several locations locally in the suburb near Minnapolis where we live and so far 5G has impressed. Yesterday I saw download speeds of 360-400 mbps in a couple spots which is faster than the internet speeds I get at home on my wifi network. Coverage so far is better than what we had with At&t.

For those of you who travel, the T Mobile Magenta Plus plan($200 for 5 lines) includes free unlimited WiFi and texting on flights(GoGo app) from American, Delta, and Alaska which will easily save our family $600 per year. When traveling on Delta as a family it seems like at least one of us buy the inflight WiFi which is $10 for a one hour pass or $25 for an entire flight.

I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro as we switched all 5 of our family phones over to T Mobile from At&t and they were offering an $830 trade in for my old iPhone. I didn't really need a new phone but the fact that we lack cellular coverage at our FL condo and also have had poor customer service from At&t that it was a no brainer to switch carriers.

Out of curiousity I've tested the 5G capability at several locations locally in the suburb near Minnapolis where we live and so far 5G has impressed. Yesterday I saw download speeds of 360-400 mbps in a couple spots which is faster than the internet speeds I get at home on my wifi network. Coverage so far is better than what we had with At&t.

For those of you who travel, the T Mobile Magenta Plus plan($200 for 5 lines) includes free unlimited WiFi and texting on flights(GoGo app) from American, Delta, and Alaska which will easily save our family $600 per year. When traveling on Delta as a family it seems like at least one of us buy the inflight WiFi which is $10 for a one hour pass or $25 for an entire flight.

The biggest problem with T-Mobile 5G is how it is built. They are generally speaking, using only the low band frequency (600Mhz) vs Verizon (mmWave) using the high band, so speeds won't be close. With that said T-Mobile is light years ahead of VZW in coverage, so there is that. We have the T-Mobile 5G here in Nashville and haven't sniffed 400 mbps and in FL at our condo it is not available yet.

The biggest problem with T-Mobile 5G is how it is built. They are generally speaking, using only the low band frequency (600Mhz) vs Verizon (mmWave) using the high band, so speeds won't be close. With that said T-Mobile is light years ahead of VZW in coverage, so there is that. We have the T-Mobile 5G here in Nashville and haven't sniffed 400 mbps and in FL at our condo it is not available yet.

Yes Verizon and T Mobile took vastly different approaches/technologies to their 5G rollout. I'm personally don't need the 300mbps plus T Mobile 5G speeds I'm getting or speeds even greater than 15 mbps for my phone because I'm ot a heavy user of video or any demanding content on my mobile devices.

That being said, faster speeds are better and I was surprised at the 366 mbps speed I got yesterday as it was inside of a brick/concrete building about 8 miles from dowtown Minneapolis. I ran a speed test twice with the WiFi shut off in two different parts of the building and both were over 300mbps. From what I understand the Verizon 5G won't pass through walls so we are years away from having Verizon 5G indoors. I have a buddy with Verizon and his "fast" 5G wideband coverage is limited to some outdoor areas within a mile or so of downtown Minneapolis and I'm in those areas maybe just a few times each year so T Mobile makes more sense for now with their much broader coverage. FWIW, the speeds I'm seeing are 5-10 times faster on average than what I saw in the same spots, including my home, with At&t wireless.

The interesting thing and maybe the bigger story will be where and how quickly 5G home internet service will be adopted. I've ordered a modem from T Mobile for home use to see if how it performs compared to my Comcast internet. Until recently Comcast/verizon was the only option in my neighborhood for internet speeds over 50mbps and they charge me $105 per month for unliimited data at 300 mbps speeds. T Mobile charges $50 per month for home internet with unlimited data and if they can offer reliable service with speeds over 100 mbps I'll likely make the switch. Potentially 5G home internet could increase competition and lower prices in many areas like mine where there is currently only one good option for fast internet.

Yes Verizon and T Mobile took vastly different approaches/technologies to their 5G rollout. I'm personally don't need the 300mbps plus T Mobile 5G speeds I'm getting or speeds even greater than 15 mbps for my phone because I'm ot a heavy user of video or any demanding content on my mobile devices.

That being said, faster speeds are better and I was surprised at the 366 mbps speed I got yesterday as it was inside of a brick/concrete building about 8 miles from dowtown Minneapolis. I ran a speed test twice with the WiFi shut off in two different parts of the building and both were over 300mbps. From what I understand the Verizon 5G won't pass through walls so we are years away from having Verizon 5G indoors. I have a buddy with Verizon and his "fast" 5G wideband coverage is limited to some outdoor areas within a mile or so of downtown Minneapolis and I'm in those areas maybe just a few times each year so T Mobile makes more sense for now with their much broader coverage. FWIW, the speeds I'm seeing are 5-10 times faster on average than what I saw in the same spots, including my home, with At&t wireless.

Well yes and no. Small antennas made by WeWork and others eliminate the "wont work in doors or pass through buildings" aspect of mmWave. The decision for the higher priced, but WAYYYY higher performing mmWave was based on when indoors most have wifi capabilities. The problem with the sixes wavelength 5G is it isn't really 5G that was promised and gets bogged down based on workload that doesn't exist on mmWave.

As a T-Mobile user, I am glad that they have the largest 5G network. Traveling quite a bit, the speeds are fine, but not much faster than we saw with LTE previously. I had an expectation of more, and that is on me for not researching prior or speaking to a friend and former colleague in the space.

5G has been marketed as a solution to end the speed issues. Outside of mmWave, it doesn't offer that. With that said, it is a nice upgrade to what existed previously. I wouldn't pay more for it and if someone is streaming video, I certainly wouldn't feature it as my whole home solution when gig speeds exist for the same price.

I think it’s time. I’ll be upgrading to the Pro or Pro Max. Just need to decide if the Max is too big for my tiny hands...

I broke my XS Max screen, again, should I just upgrade to the 12 max, or wait?

Announcement is tomorrow, so don't do anything today.

Stop doing that.

New phone should announce tomorrow, might be worth seeing if the 12 price drops or if they decide to raise it 50-100 dollars.

Stop doing that.

New phone should announce tomorrow, might be worth seeing if the 12 price drops or if they decide to raise it 50-100 dollars.
Going the PING route! :LOL:

Stop doing that.

That would be amazing.

Would you buy a set of irons the day before their next model was going to drop? :LOL:

My XS' battery needs to be replaced, it's at like 79% capacity. I figure I can ride it out until the 13s (or whatever they're going to call them) become available.

Is "get your screen fixed" an option?
What fun is that? You spent money and still have the same old phone. Buzzkill. :LOL:

Tape up your finger and use that jaggedy broken screen until you can get a shiny new one.

What fun is that? You spent money and still have the same old phone. Buzzkill. :LOL:

Tape up your finger and use that jaggedy broken screen until you can get a shiny new one.
rub some dirt on it. Solid power move.

I hope he just covers it with tape.
My wife breaks screens on the regular, she's had plenty of tape on her screens. I think breaking phone screens is her special talent.

My wife breaks screens on the regular, she's had plenty of tape on her screens. I think breaking phone screens is her special talent.

everyone has a hidden talent.

Would you buy a set of irons the day before their next model was going to drop? :LOL:

My XS' battery needs to be replaced, it's at like 79% capacity. I figure I can ride it out until the 13s (or whatever they're going to call them) become available.
Fortunately I don’t mind using a Gen older phone :LOL:

Have done that many times now. Battery life is ****. Time to upgrade.

yeah that's about right. When I replaced my X last year it was the same story. I like that I could comfortably get 3 years out of these, but towards the end of life it's a struggle lol

I’ve replaced my phone every year since the 6. However, I’m still on the 11. The 12 didn’t wow me and I’m not seeing any rumors of must have features on the 13. I hope I’m wrong.

Back