JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Figured it was time to start this thread with the announcements coming tomorrow.

I'll be in line at some point after the release. We've had our current phones (XS for me, XS Max for the wife) for 3 years, we're due for an upgrade. I'm usually on a two year cycle, but the XS has been so good that I didn't feel a need to upgrade it last year.

Last edited:
I have the 12 so not really looking to upgrade yet.

I’ve got the 11 and I might upgrade early next year. The wife has the XR and is need of a replacement.

I just don't see anything in the rumors that would make me jump from the 12 Pro. I really really really wish they had USB C, but it appears it's not happening again.

I have the 12 Pro so I won't be upgrading for another year or two but my wife is still running a XS Max from 2018 so she's been waiting for her upgrade to the 13.

I just don't see anything in the rumors that would make me jump from the 12 Pro. I really really really wish they had USB C, but it appears it's not happening again.
I don't know why Apple is so against the USB-C thing for phones, but they certainly are. Doesn't make any sense when they've gone to USB-C for iPads, they've always had uniform ports across the iPhone/iPad line.

• Admin

I didnt understand that one, considering all of their other pro devices use it

Unless there is some feature in the iPhone13, I don’t see myself upgrading with this release.

I didnt understand that one, considering all of their other pro devices use it

I mean lightning is now held on to for their entry level ipad and their $1200 phone. It's just crazy. Make the jump already. It's not even like USB C is new anymore. It's been the port of the future forever. Hell my Nexus 6P had it and that was 6 years ago.

I mean lightning is now held on to for their entry level ipad and their $1200 phone. It's just crazy. Make the jump already. It's not even like USB C is new anymore. It's been the port of the future forever. Hell my Nexus 6P had it and that was 6 years ago.
I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish the whole electronics industry would standardize and settle on one port. It would be a lot simpler than having to carry three charging cables around (Lightning, USB-C, Micro USB) for all my different devices.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish the whole electronics industry would standardize and settle on one port. It would be a lot simpler than having to carry three charging cables around (Lightning, USB-C, Micro USB) for all my different devices.

It is the little things like this that drive me batty with this brand. We are a full Apple house. Yet still have to have multiple cords around, because my iPad charges with USB-C and @GolferGal charges with Lightning. Our phones use Lightning and our laptops use USB-C. Nearly everything else in the market has switched to USB-C including what they call Pro devices from Apple, except the phone. It sounds like cost cutting to me, but based on all of the upgrades being seen early on, the 13 brings very little new to the forefront.

Sitting with an XR in my hand right now. Should be time to upgrade for me

It is the little things like this that drive me batty with this brand. We are a full Apple house. Yet still have to have multiple cords around, because my iPad charges with USB-C and @GolferGal charges with Lightning. Our phones use Lightning and our laptops use USB-C. Nearly everything else in the market has switched to USB-C including what they call Pro devices from Apple, except the phone. It sounds like cost cutting to me, but based on all of the upgrades being seen early on, the 13 brings very little new to the forefront.

and I know it's a different arena, but hell that $80 Macwheel laser rangefinder uses USB C.
I thought I read somewhere recently that the concern was over waterproofing. But that comes off as just one BS excuse when you consider the IP ratings of all these other phones that have the same damn port.

and I know it's a different arena, but hell that $80 Macwheel laser rangefinder uses USB C.
I thought I read somewhere recently that the concern was over waterproofing. But that comes off as just one BS excuse when you consider the IP ratings of all these other phones that have the same damn port.

It is a complete BS answer when so many have switched. I know nothing of iPhone 13 yet, other than outside of it dropping a mind-blowing feature, I won't be changing for at least a couple of more years. Going all the way back to iPhone 8, not much has changed other than battery life getting worse.

I'm not expecting much from the 13 but I'm excited to see what the watch upgrade will be. I'm in need of a new one and I need to know if the 6 is going to be good enough or I should wait.

I'm still using an 8+ and have had no reason to upgrade as the phone is still working flawlessly and battery is still solid. If the 12's drop in price, I may upgrade.

I'll prob buy for myself and/or my wife.

See no reason to "upgrade" unless my phone magically dies (would not be surprising considering it's age).

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I bought the 12 recently so no upgrade in my future I’m thinking. But the new security features that are coming with the 13 onwards are a step in the right direction

I have an 11 and see no reason to upgrade. It does everything I need it to do. I will be looking at the watch though I am still in the first generation.

I’ve been upgrading yearly since the 7. Don’t see any reason it’s going to stop this year.
looking forward to tomorrow, but probably much more excited for IOS than the hardware.

I have the 11 and will probably upgrade, even though honestly I never think that I need a better performing phone.

Back