iPhone or Golf Equipment: Which will you update first?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
The new iPhones were just announced today. There appear to be some changes -- some more impactful than others. Of course, the price tags aren't going down.

Will you be upgrading your iPhone? Will you do it before upgrading a piece of golf equipment? How are the two industries related?

What? How dare thy update this? I just got my last iPhone. Performance? It’s running the same damn software as the iPhone 6 is. Wtf? How dare they screw me like this.

Next thing you know your going to tell me they have multiple finishes.

I have an XS Max and I’m on the iPhone upgrade program. Even though I’m in the program I’m seriously thinking about not upgrading so I don’t have to buy a new case.

No upgrade for me, I will wait another year.

JB;n8904892 said:
What? How dare thy update this? I just got my last iPhone. Performance? It’s running the same damn software as the iPhone 6 is. Wtf? How dare they screw me like this.

Next thing you know your going to tell me they have multiple finishes.

But you'll get four more yards! I mean pixels!

golfunfiltered;n8904897 said:
But you'll get four more yards! I mean pixels!

Yea but they will just come out with a newer one a few months later and screw us all loyal customers that bought it right away.

I'm keeping my phone as long as possible. Depreciating asset in a time when there's not really a whole lot new each release. And, yes, that sounds a bit like golf equipment releases year to year. But at least with golf equipment I pay for a fantasy that new will somehow make me a better golfer. Become a better mobile device user? Uh, no thanks.

My company provides my mobile device, and it's meant to a- be inexpensive, and b- last as long as possible before replacement (min 2 years). I'd like to keep my current iphone 7 another year. Don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all by being so "behind the times."

I'm upgrading irons next month. :D New golf equipment is fun.

I often wonder if I would sign up for an equipment upgrade program like they offer for iPhones. I lean toward yes.

golfunfiltered;n8904922 said:
I often wonder if I would sign up for an equipment upgrade program like they offer for iPhones. I lean toward yes.

Honestly, it's not too far off from Callaway's upgrade process at the beginning of the year. That's a pretty damn brilliant idea.

Golf equipment ftw.

I've gotten new bags, new fairways and irons, and multiple drivers, wedges and putters (all after joining THP in April of 2018) since I inherited my wife's hand-me-down iPhone 8. Last phone I bought was a 7.

My wife will probably get the 11 and I'll inherit the 10 she has now.

I change my phone like I change my underwear, when holes show up it is time for a new one. Golf equipment gets replaced on the regular.

I've got the 7 plus and it's doing everything I need it to. I do like that matte green finish but is it worth getting back on the payment plan since I've been off for almost a year.... tough decision, not sure what I'm going to do yet. Although compared to golf equipment I would definitely upgrade the phone first, it's something I use all day everyday.

I have brand new equipment now and still us an iphone 5s. So, cell phone is next.

J.B. Cobb III;n8904948 said:
I have brand new equipment now and still us an iphone 5s. So, cell phone is next.

You should get a Nippon case for your iPhone just to tag JDax with it

JB;n8904950 said:

A custom Nippon iPhone case... #ShaftGate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the phone. I'm still using a 6, and every club I have other than my putter is less than 4 years old.

I will always update golf equipment before my iPhone...

JB;n8904950 said:

Straight fire!

Until a phone upgrade helps me add 10 yards to my drive or hit more greens I'm going with golf equipment.

As much as I love new golf equipment, I would choose iPhone. I use my phone all day everyday. Golf clubs not so much, weekly maybe during the season.

But, the rumors are this year might not be the best to upgrade. I am trying to squeeze out an extra year if possible

I've upgraded golf equipment recently and now its time for a new iPhone. I know the next big changes are supposedly next year but my agreement is coming to an end since I've had the X for 2 years and I've always changed my phone every 2 years.

golfunfiltered;n8904922 said:

TaylorMade has had "The TURN" as an option since 2017. I am surprised you were not aware of it.

I don't Apple...but I digress.

I seem to be on the 2yr cycle on both phones and equipment. Drivers/putters shorter. Irons/hybrids longer. Phone is every 2 years like clockwork since that's how the contracts are structured up here.

I use to update my iphone every year...Right up until they started asking $1,000+ for the "top" model. Ever since then I have stayed put with my X and looking at the 11 I don't think it is something I'm going to look into. There has been some grief about the fact there is no 5G capability but lets be real, until there is a decent 5G network who needs it? I, like others, am on the upgrade plan and I didn't upgrade to the Xs and the only thing making me think about upgrading to the 11 is the fact that I don't want to be on the "S" line when I make my next upgrade. So I either upgrade this year or wait two years. That being said, the camera on the 11 is an absolute unit! Looks extremely promising for those "architecture" shots AKA golf holes. The Mack Daddy Tactical green is very tempting.....That all being said, I want to give up golf every time I have to hit a wedge shot and I'm convinced some more forgiving wedges will help my game....$1,000 would buy an awfully nice set of wedges!

But really when are we going to admit that we cannot tell a difference between 5G and LTE speeds? Lets be real, waiting an extra second or two for my apps to download is not going to kill me.

Back