Iron and Wedge Swingweights

Desmond

Let's have fun here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have an iron that seems to work better than others?

Or an iron or two that don't work as well as others?

I do.

A while ago, I bought lead tape and that $50 Golfworks Swingweight scale from an earlier Jman thread - he always sucks me into buying something - does everyone else feel the same way? lol.

I noticed that my 7i performs well for me and put it on the scale - then I took some that misbehave - 9i, sometimes the 8i, and what the heck, the 6i.

The misbehavers were off from the 7i -- so out comes the lead tape - if I needed less SW, i put tape beneath the grip; if more SE is needed, then just above the ferrule.

1 SW is about the weight of a dollar bill - is it voodoo or real?

I think it's real because my results improved. Ball flight higher and more consistent contact.

About the same time, I had ordered Wedges and my D4 SW and D5 LW came in at D1 - before I'd measured, I hit the wedges. Not good. Measured and thought, "WTF!"

I needed so much lead tape on all three wedges. Misbehaving really showed up on chips and short pitches, oh, WTH, on all shots. Lead tape worked but it's ugly. Am sending them out for heavier shafts - about 12g more and to a professional who will SW them correctly.

So does SW make a difference to you?

Good stories?

It matters to me because of how I like to feel the head and face of the club. To me, I've had the best feel with the set I own now with D3 on the irons and D4 on the wedges. I know each one is measured right because I was their when they were swing weighted looking over my fitter's should. No just swing weight, but lie and loft as well. Maybe I am a bit anal when it comes to club specs, but hard to trust your swing if you don't trust the club you are swinging.

I'm a SW geek for sure, probably to my detriment at times but it is what it is. I want D5, pretty much through my setup.

And you're welcome for enabling you to get that scale! Haha

I don't know what mine are and have never thought about it until recently after learning more about SW on this site. I do know my friends have said my irons are heavy so I'm guessing the SW is up there.

I do D0 on all my irons and D2 on wedges. Had them checked after receiving the set and they where spot on. My big thing is as long as the feel the same throughout I'm fine with it.

It matters to me because of how I like to feel the head and face of the club. To me, I've had the best feel with the set I own now with D3 on the irons and D4 on the wedges. I know each one is measured right because I was their when they were swing weighted looking over my fitter's should. No just swing weight, but lie and loft as well. Maybe I am a bit anal when it comes to club specs, but hard to trust your swing if you don't trust the club you are swinging.

I am pretty much D3 on irons and PW, D4 on Gap and Sand, and D5 on LW.

As you noticed, SW increases as we get to more partial shots - I really want to feeeeeel the clubhead drag (coming last) on all shots but especially on partials or I get too armsy.

As you noticed, SW increases as we get to more partial shots - I really want to feeeeeel the clubhead drag (coming last) on all shots but especially on partials or I get too armsy.

I do.

A while ago, I bought lead tape and that $50 Golfworks Swingweight scale from an earlier Jman thread - he always sucks me into buying something - does everyone else feel the same way? lol.

I noticed that my 7i performs well for me and put it on the scale - then I took some that misbehave - 9i, sometimes the 8i, and what the heck, the 6i.

The misbehavers were off from the 7i -- so out comes the lead tape - if I needed less SW, i put tape beneath the grip; if more SE is needed, then just above the ferrule.

I think it's real because my results improved. Ball flight higher and more consistent contact.

About the same time, I had ordered Wedges and my D4 SW and D5 LW came in at D1 - before I'd measured, I hit the wedges. Not good. Measured and thought, "WTF!"

I needed so much lead tape on all three wedges. Misbehaving really showed up on chips and short pitches, oh, WTH, on all shots. Lead tape worked but it's ugly. Am sending them out for heavier shafts - about 12g more and to a professional who will SW them correctly.

Good stories?

Thanks. That scale is on sale now at Golfworks so just bought it. I too have put lead tape on my CF16's when I went to graphite as I couldn't feel the head. I bet the weights are all different so this should be fun to measure.

I have made clubs...Have a swight weight scale...a SW is not a dollar bill weight. And yes SW makes a difference. ferrule lead tape?

I have made clubs...Have a swight weight scale...a SW is not a dollar bill weight. And yes SW makes a difference. ferrule lead tape?

1. Great for you. 2. That's what I've read as to a dollar at the end of a clubhead. 3. Tiger would wrap a piece of lead tape around the ferrule for minor adjustments.

I would say I am sensitive to SW but it isn't as important to me as total weight. I do have more to learn there, no doubt. Interesting topic for today. I have a roll of lead tape that will arrive the afternoon. Local place I hit and spend too much time at has a SW scale and lots of other fun toys. I plan to do some tests here in the next few weeks.

I'm currently playing mine built in progression from D2 in the woods and 2i, D2.5 in 4/5, D3 in 6/7, D3.5 in 8/9, D4 in PW/GW, D5 in SW/LW. Not truly MOI matched or anything. It seems to be fine to me, though I'm not sure it's any better or worse than having straight D2 in my iron set.

I have a swing weight scale and I've used lead tape before. If it's like 2" I'll put it on the back of the club. If it's more than that I'll usually wrap it around the hosel, NOT above the ferrule on the shaft. My concern with having too much on the hosel or shaft is that you could be promoting a draw biased club.

A dollar bill weighs 1 gram. So 2 bills would equal 1 swing weight point attached to the head end of a club.

I do.

Good stories?

FYSA, Instead of lead tape I use tungsten powder and a cork down the shaft. It's best to do BEFORE gripping, else you may ave a hole in the butt of your grip. Whenever I buy new wedges though I strip the grip, add tungsten powder to fit my exact SW desired (D10 I believe), then ramrod a cork down it. then I'll grip it. Been doing that for 4-5 years now, absolutely would NOT play a wedge without it. Sad part is i watch my friends struggle endlessly with wedge contact, and not a one of them will adjust their SWs a bit. Shame.

Good luck and happy tinkering~!!

I would say I am sensitive to SW but it isn't as important to me as total weight. I do have more to learn there, no doubt. Interesting topic for today. I have a roll of lead tape that will arrive the afternoon. Local place I hit and spend too much time at has a SW scale and lots of other fun toys. I plan to do some tests here in the next few weeks.

a small digital scale ($10-15), something to balance a club on to find a balance point, and a tape measure is all you need to use an on-line SW calculator.

> http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM <

I've used this site for years and find the SW right in my garage. i've never had an issue with it not matching a machine, but the good part is it's always consistent so long as you use the same site/calculations.

placement of lead tape adjusts more than just the swing weight. It use to be you would buy a set of heads and they would be off a weight or two on many of the set. Those tolerances have been tightened up so less need. My building was mostly in the 90's. Still tinker but just that tinker.

I probably care way more about it than I probably should because it drives me nuts if something is slightly off. I have the same GW economy SW scale and plenty of high density lead tape. I play woods - 9 iron at D2, PW & GW at D3 and 54 & 58 at D4. Am I a better ball striker since I got the scale and match my swing weights? No.

First off, @Jman definitely leads me to purchases from time to time. Usually in a good way.

I care about SW more than I probably should as well, and I'm not shy about lead tape whatsoever. Irons for me I like the D4 range, and even lead taped my 4 & 3 hybrid to D4 & D3 respectively. Wedges I like a bit heavier. Can't remember the # offhand though.

1. Great for you. 2. That's what I've read as to a dollar at the end of a clubhead. 3. Tiger would wrap a piece of lead tape around the ferrule for minor adjustments.
Hey Des
Just to confirm something that many may overlook with that scale and that's to make sure it's on a level surface. Since my OCD kicks in when I'm checking swing weights,I've adapted it to set in a vice and level it before checking any clubs.:ROFLMAO:

Hey Des
Just to confirm something that many may overlook with that scale and that's to make sure it's on a level surface. Since my OCD kicks in when I'm checking swing weights,I've adapted it to set in a vice and level it before checking any clubs.:ROFLMAO:

I have the same scale and spent way to long making sure the bench I use it on is level...

Hey Des

Great advice - use a level on the surface

Swing-weight is legit. Just too bad so many people think it is solely about the overall weight of a club rather than the balance point.

I'm right there with your specs - pretty much D3 from driver down to short irons, where they bump to D3.5, D4, and D4.5 at the bottom of the bag. Definitely good to have a swing-weight scale, tungsten powder & corks (or lead tape), and a good scale to tweak the sets since many people are actually sensitive to changes.

Great advice - use a level on the surface
It doesn't have to be on a level surface if you are just trying to get the clubs to match. The level surface is required if you want the swing weight to be accurate. In other words, you could get all the clubs to D3 on an uneven surface and the swing weight will be the same across the set. However, if you weighed them on another SW scale you might find them to actually be D0 or D5 (random examples), depending on which way the slope was going under the scale when it wasn't level.

Back