Iron aoa question

Jmilla

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a very shallow angle of attack and play fairly well like this however I do not spin my irons and wedges enough. My fitter says that it would benefit me to get my aoa between 1-2 down with irons jut to get spin ideal and have more control. I am wondering what drills would be useful for this small adjustment as I do not want or need a total overhaul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very shallow angle of attack and play fairly well like this however I do not spin my irons and wedges enough. My fitter says that it would benefit me to get my aoa between 1-2 down with irons jut to get spin ideal and have more control. I am wondering what drills would be useful for this small adjustment as I do not want or need a total overhaul?

What do you look at when swinging your irons? I would guess the back of the ball, try looking at the front of the ball and it should help.

Another common drill is to put a small object behind a ball, like a tee laying flat, and avoid it on the downswing.

Last edited:
my instructor wants me anywhere from 4-6 down with irons.

the drill we do is basically just pushing hard off the right foot to start the downswing. think justin thomas. his heel is off the ground really early in the downswing. you’d think pushing up would do the opposite, but for me it seems to work.

Try different ball positions in your stance. Guessing it may be a hair too far back at present. Should spin more the further you move it up.
Those MT irons are fun!

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll do some tinkering and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll do some tinkering and let you know how it goes.

If I recall correctly, the standard lengths on the MT irons were a little longer than some sets, especially as you got to the longer irons.
Not sure if you had yours custom fit, but might choke up a tad too if the length is an issue at all. If the contact is a little heavy, that will kill the spin.

Sounds like moving the ball an inch back in your stance might be the ticket. That seems easy to do but sometimes your body/eyes fool you.

Set up per normal at the range, then have a buddy put a ball behind the ball you're addressing and remove the first ball. Now you're ready to go!

The ball behind ball and length ideas are interesting. I’ll have to see if I notice anything next time I am at the range. I do notice I do not move laterally in the downswing much and stay centered. I wonder the correct footwork in downswing for someone like me who has never felt it.

The ball behind ball and length ideas are interesting. I’ll have to see if I notice anything next time I am at the range. I do notice I do not move laterally in the downswing much and stay centered. I wonder the correct footwork in downswing for someone like me who has never felt it.

Hi Jmilla
Here’s a simple way to get a steeper AOA. Let’s dive into set up. I like to get my players to OPEN there RIB CAGE about 3 degrees this will allow the club to come into the ball with a little steeper angle because your path is going a little more left. Another thing you can do is make sure you are not getting to much Spine Tilt to the right at set up. Try and get a neutral spine with a rounded Upper back which will give you a steeper shoulder plane on the backswing. That will all contribute to a steeper AOA. Please feel free to post a front view swing. I would love to see it.
Hope this helps!

Back