Iron Feedback - does it "Hurt so good?"

Jersey Nate

#JourneyToBetter #THPMC
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.2
In various threads pondering equipment and review threads on iron sets here, there are varied opinions about how important iron feedback is to golfers. So...do you want that biting sting when you miss the sweet spot? Is there a fine line for the average golfer wanting to improve...does he/she benefit from an iron with more of that feedback? What kind of feedback do you enjoy?

I don't feel irons with more feedback benefit the average golfer. They have very little idea how to properly adjust after a miss hit.

I like to know where I miss and it doesn't need to be harsh to be quality. A harsh miss feeling is usually way of the toe, blades or hosel and no iron made will not offer that feedback

I can get adequate feel from misses without it being a stinger through the hands.

So no, I don't want it to hurt like hell.

I think having some feedback is a good thing but there is a thing as too much for the average golfer. If you need that much feedback from a hit off the toe like blades give you, you probably aren't at a point where playing them is helping your game.

I just need a little bit of feedback to tell me where hit it, no need for hands to be ringing on the next shot.

Feedback sucks. It hurts. I want to avoid it at all costs. Plus, ball flight tells me as much as painful feedback does.

Some people embrace the sting. Me? Not so much. You can usually tell by ball flight and feel when you hit a bad shot. It doesn't need to be a shot of 220V to tell me I sucked on that swing. :D

JM

Back