Iron groove marks on the ball

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
I've been using Callaway Supersoft balls for a while now. Just started playing Talormade M6 irons and have been noticing iron groove marks on the ball, like the old days with balata wound Titleist balls. Very interesting.

6%2025%2019%20scuff%20a_zpsccj3gexb.jpg

6%2025%2019%20scuff%20b_zpsmccxspg6.jpg

Wow!

Mid to long irons did that?

I have seen some scuff marks on balls due to my new wedges, but will be interested to see if I see the same when the new irons go in the bag as well

I have never seen marks that deep in a ball before. My 58 degree 2009 mack daddy wedge (aka: the sharpest wedge I have ever seen) will leave little feathers of ball cover turned up on the ball and have chunks embedded in the grooves but I've never seen cuts like this outside of balls that I have found deep in the forests after being chunked off trees or hit by mowers or attacked by squirrels.

Well, when you are swinging Mach2, that’s bound to happen....

Dang those are some serious marks, have only seen something like that on cart path balls and usually are not gouged that deep.

Dang those are some serious marks, have only seen something like that on cart path balls and usually are not gouged that deep.

Yea, did the ball bounce first? If I saw that on the ball with a clean flight and landing I would have thought my club had something on the face of it to puncture that much.

No cart paths, desert or trees.

I've been using Callaway Supersoft balls for a while now. Just started playing Talormade M6 irons and have been noticing iron groove marks on the ball, like the old days with balata wound Titleist balls. Very interesting.

6%2025%2019%20scuff%20a_zpsccj3gexb.jpg

6%2025%2019%20scuff%20b_zpsmccxspg6.jpg

The ball appears to have been hit more than once considering the gap between the 2 marks. In my 50+ years of playing, I have never seen one quite like that. lol:bulgy-eyes:

The gap is much wider than any grooves I have ever seen. Looks like it has been bladed twice by an iron with way to sharp a leading edge. No way those are groove marks with that spacing. Hold up your irons next to those balls and you can see if the spacing matches.

Back