Iron repair question

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
ok, my PW came apart on the course yesterday. Since I’m not an expert in club repair can anyone tell me if this simply just need glued back or is there a bigger issue?

I’m having a hard time telling if something broke off in there or it simply need glued back in place

2F8BC796-4E58-4D5A-980A-6169CD45C153.jpeg1AC03EA4-6BA1-44EF-9F32-8F88CFF5355F.jpegE26EC6E6-CDF8-4C42-8B28-7C087F0AF292.jpeg

Attachments

• 75BD2518-2C91-42BC-A3DC-63D6834099E7.jpeg
    75BD2518-2C91-42BC-A3DC-63D6834099E7.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
It looks like just an epoxy failure. There doesn't seem to be anything down in the hosel and the tip of the shaft looks to be undamaged. You should be able to abrade the tip just a bit to clean it up , clean out the hosel and re-epoxy the shaft.

Looks like you dodged a bullet there.

It looks like just an epoxy failure. There doesn't seem to be anything down in the hosel and the tip of the shaft looks to be undamaged. You should be able to abrade the tip just a bit to clean it up and re-epoxy the shaft.

Looks like you dodged a bullet there.
That's what I thought and was hoping. I just ordered a set of G425 on Saturday and was going to trade these in towards the new ones so I was hoping it wasn't going to be an extensive repair. I thought it was odd the ferrule stayed in place when it let loose on the course yesterday.

ha ha .... looks like there may have been more epoxy to secure the ferrule than there was to secure the shaft.

Just looks to need prepped and reinstalled very little epoxy at all from the photos which is surprising as the pings are .355 tapers and usually a snug fit alone plus the epoxy (if applied).

Just looks to need prepped and reinstalled very little epoxy at all from the photos which is surprising as the pings are .355 tapers and usually a snug fit alone plus the epoxy (if applied).
I think that is what alarmed me the most is I see very little epoxy residue on the shaft and in the hosel on this. it only looks like there might have been a small bit down at the tip. I'm surprised it lasted almost 2 years if that is the case.

I think that is what alarmed me the most is I see very little epoxy residue on the shaft and in the hosel on this. it only looks like there might have been a small bit down at the tip. I'm surprised it lasted almost 2 years if that is the case.
They tap the shafts in with pneumatics if you watch factory tours, they always claimed it could hold without epoxy but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

They tap the shafts in with pneumatics if you watch factory tours, they always claimed it could hold without epoxy but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Interesting. I just searched a video on YT and they say they use a different process for graphite versus steel. I'm assuming they don't hammer in the graphite as hard as they do with steel shafts.

Clean out the hosel with sandpaper, or wire brush if you have it can get one that will fit. You can add heat to soften any remaining epoxy to make clean out easier. Make sure the shaft tip is free or residual epoxy as well.

When epoxying a shaft I like to get some of the epoxy into the tip of the shaft as well as around the outside. When you set the shaft in place and set it down to cure the epoxy all flow together and cure as a single mass.

I would make sure the tip of the shaft isn't blocked by dry epoxy. You need to provide means for any trapped air to escape when you set the shaft into the hosel. If the tip is plugged, the air won't have anywhere to go, and you'll have a bad set.

If you’re trading them in just put some super glue in the hosel. Should hold enough to get a value assessment.

*Don’t really do that*

If you’re trading them in just put some super glue in the hosel. Should hold enough to get a value assessment.

*Don’t really do that*
Valid thought but I'll be owning them for about 30 more days. I just took it back to the shop I bought them from and will be getting them back once my G425 arrive. As long as it holds until I give them back I'm good.

*Don’t really do that*

"buyer Beware" :cool:

Back