Iron search narrowing down

txplhunter71

Reaction score
Hello all from Scott here in Texas. I've been outta the game for awhile now and after a few rounds and some range time I've started to settle back into my previous golf swing. Unofficially I'm around a 13 to 15 handicap.

I've been reading reviews and specs on THP and other golf sites and I think I've narrowed down my choices of irons to go hit. I'm planning on going within the next week and hitting. I don't plan on doing a fitting as I can't fit it into my budget. Unless I use one of the big chain stores but I'm not 100% sold on their fitting process.

My irons of choice are Ping G425, Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal and Cobra Radspeed(will not be OL). I guess my question is what's some personal experiences anyone's had with comparing these irons side by side. Thanks for y'all's input.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm about the same handicap at the moment & just put the Ben Hogan Players Combo in the bag, amazing feel. Worth a look and the pricing is something else as well.

Can’t beat the Hogan’s pricing that’s for sure. I’m an artificial 4.7 (will drop career round next round and likely shoot up to 7). I plan to use the PTx Pros this year. I thought they’d be too much for me as I have abysmal ball striking days. They actually fit nice. I think they have a trial period too where you can test one for 2 weeks for like 15.00?

Sub70 deserves a look too. If you stick with a stock shaft and 5-PW I think they’re $500? About that anyways.

If you’re a Ping guy, I wouldn’t rule out the i210’s. Very nice, still forgiving and a great look at address. As a prior poster mentioned, the Hogan Combo’s are a very nice set as well. Good luck!

Being a cobra fan I’d say Radspeed. I have hit the 5 and 6 irons in one length version. Smooth easy swing 6 iron easily carries 185. I have not hit the pings. I hit the 921 forged club a week or so ago. It performed well guessing the hot metal pro would be an awesome option. Nothing I hit the other day is going to remove my forge tec irons from bag.

I can’t speak for either of those sets as I’m still using the set in my signature, but don’t rule out previous year models too. Some stores might have them and you can get them at a discount hopefully. Also if you’re close to a place that does a “demo-day” I’d suggest that too. Opportunities to try multiple sets with no expectation to buy, plus you can compare them directly to your current set. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Similar handicap level here. I’m a huge fan of the Cobra Speedzone irons. I can only assume that the Radspeeds are as good or better.

if you are looking at the JPX921 Hot Metal, take a look at the Srixon ZX5 as well

I'm a bit higher of a handicap than you and I just bought the zx7 because Looks>my game lol, but prior to that I was debating between the 921 Hot metal and ZX5, you can't really go wrong with any of the irons you mentioned, my advice would be to buy the ones you like the most, they are all pretty similar anyways

Others have said it but if price is in the equation the PTX Pros are really tough to beat. I'm a high teens cap and in my opinion the forgiveness in the PTX Pros is much more than you'd expect looking at them. Doesn't hurt that they're also ~$400 less than those other sets. I will say though that I really enjoyed hitting the 921 Forged last year. Best of luck!

The Mizuno JPX 921 HM or Radspeed are going to win if these are the only choices.

Might want to look at the Callaway Apex line & Srixon line too...

If I can offer one single piece of advice it would be that for the amount of money you are likely to spend on a set of sticks the fitting cost is a very small portion of that. And that small portion pretty much assures you that you will make a decision that best suits your game. More of a "ready out of the box" as opposed to a multi-week "break-in" period.

Normal course conditions should play a role. I played a bit down in Texas and didn't do as well with my Ping Iblades as I did with my Mizunos with lower bounce. I would try to test on the course.

I'm about the same handicap at the moment & just put the Ben Hogan Players Combo in the bag, amazing feel. Worth a look and the pricing is something else as well.
Ok. Thanks I'll do a little reading on those too.

Sub70 deserves a look too. If you stick with a stock shaft and 5-PW I think they’re $500? About that anyways.
Ok thanks. I had to Google those since I have never actually seen or heard of them but for that price I'm definitely gonna look into them.

If you’re a Ping guy, I wouldn’t rule out the i210’s. Very nice, still forgiving and a great look at address. As a prior poster mentioned, the Hogan Combo’s are a very nice set as well. Good luck!
Well not a Ping guy since I've never actually owned a set of them. I did the Ping webfit and the i210's is what it suggested for me. I couldn't find any to look at so after picking of the G425's I really was drawn to them. Haven't been able to hit any yet still healing from a cracked rib but almost able to swing a club again.

Being a cobra fan I’d say Radspeed. I have hit the 5 and 6 irons in one length version. Smooth easy swing 6 iron easily carries 185. I have not hit the pings. I hit the 921 forged club a week or so ago. It performed well guessing the hot metal pro would be an awesome option. Nothing I hit the other day is going to remove my forge tec irons from bag.
Alright thanks for that info.

I can’t speak for either of those sets as I’m still using the set in my signature, but don’t rule out previous year models too. Some stores might have them and you can get them at a discount hopefully. Also if you’re close to a place that does a “demo-day” I’d suggest that too. Opportunities to try multiple sets with no expectation to buy, plus you can compare them directly to your current set. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Yeah been looking for a demo day that fits my work schedule but no luck yet. Thanks for the reply.

if you are looking at the JPX921 Hot Metal, take a look at the Srixon ZX5 as well

I'm a bit higher of a handicap than you and I just bought the zx7 because Looks>my game lol, but prior to that I was debating between the 921 Hot metal and ZX5, you can't really go wrong with any of the irons you mentioned, my advice would be to buy the ones you like the most, they are all pretty similar anyways
Oh ok. I'll do some reading on those too. Thanks

Others have said it but if price is in the equation the PTX Pros are really tough to beat. I'm a high teens cap and in my opinion the forgiveness in the PTX Pros is much more than you'd expect looking at them. Doesn't hurt that they're also ~$400 less than those other sets. I will say though that I really enjoyed hitting the 921 Forged last year. Best of luck!
Ok thanks sounds like I should have already been looking at the Hogan irons. Thanks for your input.

The Mizuno JPX 921 HM or Radspeed are going to win if these are the only choices.

Might want to look at the Callaway Apex line & Srixon line too...
The Apex's were one of my earlier choices but kinda got pushed to the side. Guess I'll have to look into them further. Thanks

If I can offer one single piece of advice it would be that for the amount of money you are likely to spend on a set of sticks the fitting cost is a very small portion of that. And that small portion pretty much assures you that you will make a decision that best suits your game. More of a "ready out of the box" as opposed to a multi-week "break-in" period.
Yeah you're definitely right. Guess I'm just being a little hard headed and thinking I can figure it all out for myself. Lol. Thanks for trying to bring me to my senses.

Normal course conditions should play a role. I played a bit down in Texas and didn't do as well with my Ping Iblades as I did with my Mizunos with lower bounce. I would try to test on the course.
Yeah makes sense thanks

I would recommend if possible at the very least that you find a pro shop or retailer that has a Mizuno fitting cart with shaft optimizer. They can tell you the lie of the club you need for your swing, the length you require, and make shaft recommendations. You can use that information to buy any brand of irons.

Back