Iron search narrowing down

Hello all from Scott here in Texas. I've been outta the game for awhile now and after a few rounds and some range time I've started to settle back into my previous golf swing. Unofficially I'm around a 13 to 15 handicap.

I've been reading reviews and specs on THP and other golf sites and I think I've narrowed down my choices of irons to go hit. I'm planning on going within the next week and hitting. I don't plan on doing a fitting as I can't fit it into my budget. Unless I use one of the big chain stores but I'm not 100% sold on their fitting process.

My irons of choice are Ping G425, Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal and Cobra Radspeed(will not be OL). I guess my question is what's some personal experiences anyone's had with comparing these irons side by side. Thanks for y'all's input.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13-15 with irons? Or is your iron play good?

I would rule out the Ping i210s unless you have very good iron play. Same with Hot Metal Pros - forgiving and a possibility if you don't like offset. Hot Metals are a great set. My son has them. Ping 425 - looked at them and they look really good - you've got a couple of great choices - 425 and HM's. Just get the right shaft.

I would recommend if possible at the very least that you find a pro shop or retailer that has a Mizuno fitting cart with shaft optimizer. They can tell you the lie of the club you need for your swing, the length you require, and make shaft recommendations. You can use that information to buy any brand of irons.
Oh ok. Thanks

13-15 with irons? Or is your iron play good?

I would rule out the Ping i210s unless you have very good iron play. Same with Hot Metal Pros - forgiving and a possibility if you don't like offset. Hot Metals are a great set. My son has them. Ping 425 - looked at them and they look really good - you've got a couple of great choices - 425 and HM's. Just get the right shaft.
I wouldn't use the word "Good" for my iron game but maybe ok or fair. I definitely need a forgiving iron. Thanks for that heads-up.

Ok thanks. I had to Google those since I have never actually seen or heard of them but for that price I'm definitely gonna look into them.

Perfect chance here for ya, I was gifted by another forum member a Sub 70 699 7i with a Recoil 780 F4 in it if you want to try it, just let me know.

I almost pulled the trigger on them but in that configuration with the grips I wanted and I like 4-GW generally, I think I was over $1000. So I debated as that’s a pretty major purchase. Ended up buying two sets (VERY) gently used, but I love that club. Their CEO even called me back to discuss me getting my build right. I passed but might have well, I spent the same on two sets as I did on the one. Not that I don’t like them as much, but I haven’t had them on a grass range yet. We shall see.

Shoot me a Pm with shipping details and I’ll send it out if I can ever have a freaking hour of down time. Been close to 100 hours a week since my pharmacy became the one of 200 in the state of Ohio to give Phase 1a (super high risk) C19 vaccines. Days off? Naaa. Go administer this clinic. Then when I drop everything back off my entire pharmacy staff looks like they’re about to cry so I stick around until they’re caught up. Only worked 14 hours today, woo. I was off (most) of yesterday, stopped over for an hour(ish) after I bought another hour on the sim across the street for Jr.

Challenging and stressful times. Blah blah. Nothing to do with the thread, lol other than I’ll send you that iron to try if you want.

Unless you are limiting your options to clubs you have the chance to hit locally, I wouldn't necessarily rule out any club as you may find yourself surprised by something you hadn't even considered

I would say try to hit as many different options as you can before starting to narrow down your choices

Perfect chance here for ya, I was gifted by another forum member a Sub 70 699 7i with a Recoil 780 F4 in it if you want to try it, just let me know.

I almost pulled the trigger on them but in that configuration with the grips I wanted and I like 4-GW generally, I think I was over $1000. So I debated as that’s a pretty major purchase. Ended up buying two sets (VERY) gently used, but I love that club. Their CEO even called me back to discuss me getting my build right. I passed but might have well, I spent the same on two sets as I did on the one. Not that I don’t like them as much, but I haven’t had them on a grass range yet. We shall see.

Shoot me a Pm with shipping details and I’ll send it out if I can ever have a freaking hour of down time. Been close to 100 hours a week since my pharmacy became the one of 200 in the state of Ohio to give Phase 1a (super high risk) C19 vaccines. Days off? Naaa. Go administer this clinic. Then when I drop everything back off my entire pharmacy staff looks like they’re about to cry so I stick around until they’re caught up. Only worked 14 hours today, woo. I was off (most) of yesterday, stopped over for an hour(ish) after I bought another hour on the sim across the street for Jr.

Challenging and stressful times. Blah blah. Nothing to do with the thread, lol other than I’ll send you that iron to try if you want.
Ok thanks I'll give it a day or two and think on it. Sure appreciate the offer.

Unless you are limiting your options to clubs you have the chance to hit locally, I wouldn't necessarily rule out any club as you may find yourself surprised by something you hadn't even considered

I would say try to hit as many different options as you can before starting to narrow down your choices
Yes sir I'm with you on that thought. Those are just my front runners from web searches and reading the THP forums but not ruling out any until I get a chance to hit some. I'll try and keep an open mind about my selection. Thanks for the advice.

I'm a Cleveland guy and love my UHX irons but you're looking at a bunch of them. I'd just suggest going to a Club Champion or some place that will have the ability to let you hit a bunch of different types (make the trip to Canada and see Ian at TXG lol). I personally think GI irons are very much in the same class so the shaft is most important. Get what looks best to your eye looks wise but really focus your time on getting the shaft that makes the most sense for your swing type.

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently playing my nearly 20 year old Cleveland TA5's. They've been a good club but think it's about time for an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently playing my nearly 20 year old Cleveland TA5's. They've been a good club but think it's about time for an upgrade.

Uhhh yeah, you’ll feel like you’re ready to go pro when you get new clubs. By the way the Cleveland UHX irons are $200 off at Golf Galaxy/Dicks. 4-Gap wedge is $599 :)

I’m in the right handicap range but I haven’t played those specific irons. Coming from 20yo irons anything is likely to be a fairly solid upgrade. All three manufacturers listed are good.

I’m in the right handicap range but I haven’t played those specific irons. Coming from 20yo irons anything is likely to be a fairly solid upgrade. All three manufacturers listed are good.
Yeah that's my thoughts as well. Surely I can't make too bad of a choice.

Back