Iron sets (what are you looking for)

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
How happy are you with your current set, and what would it take (performance, feel, look, etc) for you to purchase a new set?

I'm happy with my current set and to buy another set would be to tinker with something to see how it performs for me.

How happy are you with your current set, and what would it take (performance, feel, look, etc) for you to purchase a new set?
I'm very happy with my current set (W/S C200's), however I have another set on the way (W/S F5's). Why? Looks, and I think feel may also be a touch better as well. We shall see though. It may very well turn out that the F5's won't compliment my game at all ... and if that's the case, I'll shelve them until a point that they do (or sell them).

Happy with my current set. If I ever found a repeatable [decent] swing and my irons did not work with it, then I would try to refit my current set, If that didn't work, then I would be in the market. I think there's a low probability my irons would not work for me.

Extremely happy with my current set.

To purchase a new set? For me to have the funds to haha.

I look for the numbers I like in irons (specific distance, height, spin), not necessarily more distance. Because I have found a very high amount of irons out there I can get by with, I choose by overall look and sound (feel).

Still playing G10's.... but considering testing G30's, Apex CF 16's and Wilson C200's and D300's.
I'm happy with my Pings, just want to see what else is out there and see how they feel.

Love my CF16's although they show bag chatter. Maybe something new????......No, I'm keeping them!!

Love my CF16's although they show bag chatter. Maybe something new????......No, I'm keeping them!!

Bag chatter marks show character!
I've been playing The same set of Cleveland TA-5's for 10+ years now. They're like an old friend. If I were to switch irons, it would have to be for a night and day reason. Although new clubs can keep things interesting and fun, I admit.

I love the launch, sound/feel, forgiveness on mishits, accuracy/straightness and distance of my 588 Altitude irons. Best irons I have ever tried. The only thing that would make me switch irons would be something that matches the performance but looked better. The Tudes, well lets face it, are toasters on a stick. Not against a larger blade but these are pretty phat looking.
Also would prefer something more akin to the finish on Ping irons. To me Ping irons have that industrial, bulletproof type finish which I prefer.

I like my AP1's but the thicker topline is starting to get to me at times. Debating on finding a used AP2 set and getting them bent for me....or waiting till 718's come out.

All in all, I like my AP's

I have been playing Mizuno MP4s for the last year or so, and have been very happy with them. However, during Staff Proto, I saw the new Wilson Staff V6 and kinda fell head over heels. I ordered a set a few weeks back and am so happy I did. I'm sure I'll get a wandering eye at some point, but I'm really, really content right now.

I have a nice set of Callaway X2 Hots but I am working with Callaway pre-owned right now for trading in and upgrading to the XR or Apex after I go for a fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I desperately want the new Steelhead XR's, but the Cobra One series has my attention as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Love my current new to me set. Any players' profile that manages to pack considerable forgiveness will get my attention.

I haven't been able to put my new set through it's paces yet, but I switched to it for performance issues. I need more height as a slower swinger, and the D200s were consistently higher and tighter for me than my current set and a few others on a launch monitor.

Very happy! Only thing that I could think of that would get me to switch would be if the next set was free.

Current clubs are AP1 712s. Been happy with them, but I'm starting to get the itch.

What I'd look for is

Comparable size in topline and sole width without giving up forgiveness. Blade length I'm less sensitive to.
For me, more satin or matte is good, the less chrome the better.
Shaft choices in the 105-115g range w/no upcharge.
Getting more distance is nice, but not at the expense of consistency.
Muted cavity graphics.

Unfortunately for my bank account and/or marital bliss there seem to be a lot of irons out there that potenitally fit the bill.
If I need 2 gap wedges I lose interest quickly.

Very happy. I was just fit for them so it would take time with possibly a fitting in a year or more from now to change on my own. I would be open to change if it involved a THP Event and free irons though...

While I'm happy with both sets of clubs, I have had my eye on the Srixon 565 irons. Loved the looks and how they hit.

Delighted with my current set... What would it take to replace them??? Enough money to afford a new set :) In all seriousness, I'd love to have the 716 model instead of my 714, but there's not any justifiable reason to do so.

I love my 714 CBs -- Not going to look again for a long time for me 5-8 years

I am happy with my current set. I have tried quite a bit to kick them out of the bag with no success, which I guess is a good thing.
They are old for THP standards... Cleveland 588 MT's. But they are plenty long, feel great and are very forgiving. Plus I like the way they look.
So it would take something at least as good in all of those departments for me to buy a new set.

Currently eyeing some Mizuno JPX EZ or EZ forged but I haven't hit them so it would be a crap shoot.

I prefer something that looks good but will totally sacrifice there for better performance.

I don't mind shovels...

I am love with my current set. I like a forged iron but a bigger size club head. The smaller club head does not give me confidence

I'm indifferent about my taylormade tour burners, basically just need the money to get custom fitted and i would

I'm happy with the results I get with my SpeedBlades when I hit them well. Unfortunately that's not happening as much as I would like. What I'd be looking for is more consistency, which I think I can find with the Cobra F7 Ones. I'm in serious ponder mode about them, and will likely try to get fit for them next week.

Back