Iron Shapes - Squared or Rounded?

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
Nuances that separate irons for many include overall visual appeal as to how a club is shaped and how that shape instills confidence. Top lines, leading edges, the toe - all contribute to an overall impression of the shape. What do you look for in "lines" on an iron?

slightly rounded sole and lead edge perform best for me. Visually really don't care.

Rounded toe. Lowish offset.

I dislike the total rounded look. I'm more into a squared look kind of a profile like the Ping blueprint iron. At address I want to be able to frame the ball and a rounded look just looks weird to me.

index.php

Crisp, attractive topline for me is the biggest thing, and I don't mind if the toe has some definition to go with it (more squared off) but not required. Makes the club purposeful.

That said, the Apex MB are one of the most beautifully radius-ed and rounded sets out there, IMO, and I love 'em. And I equally prefer the Z-Forged, which are much more squared. This is really one of those industrial design questions similar to auto-styling for me. Either it has it or it doesn't, and I know it when I see it.

I loved the square heel of the old Mizuno MP-14 and then the Nike Blades, and now the Taylor Made P7TW, I guess I’m not the only one that likes that look.

I like a squared/pointy toe!

Rounded toe and little offset.

I loved the square heel of the old Mizuno MP-14 and then the Nike Blades, and now the Taylor Made P7TW, I guess I’m not the only one that likes that look.

TM has some pretty nice lines going in the P730 and P7TW. I never thought I would have written that.

A bit of a rounded toe, prefer a thinnish top line, (sometimes it can be thicker but that slight curve or color change can make it appear thinner) and slight offset are all attractive to me.

Rounded toe, and slight offset.

Topline is something that is always talked about by others, but really doesn't bother me at all.

I like the leading edge to be more on the square side for ease in alignment

Back