Iron Steel Shaft Flex

Aceman

Reaction score
Handicap
My Dad was recently looking for a new set of irons. He did his research and he figured out he would prefer to have stiff steel shafts. I thought to myself stiff steel shafts? I didn't know there was such a thing. I always thought there was just steel. I didn't realize there was different flexes of steel shafts. After finding this out I decided to go look at my set.

I have played Taylormade R7 Draw Irons for the past couple seasons and I have really liked them for the most part. However, I have had issues with ballooning shots specifically with my 6-8 irons. I noticed my shafts are regular flex. I swing in the 100-105 mph range. Also, my most common miss is short and right. It makes sense that the flex of the club could be affecting my shots. I am thinking stiff flex shafts in my irons could be a big benefit to me. What do you guys think?

I'm basically set on getting Taylormade Burner 2.0's w/ stiff steel 85 shaft. I found a brand new set with HP (high polish) chrome finish 5-PW for $300. Thoughts?

Thanks as always!

I have never seen 2.0's in high polish chrome, so I find that interesting.

If your swing speed with a 6 iron is in the 100-105mph range, then you definitely need stiff. Probably even extra stiff. If your Driver swing speed is 100-105mph, then you probably just need stiff for the steel iron shafts. There's no set standard in swing speed and shaft flex among the shaft manufacturers, so your best bet is to simply get fit, or at least look at the individual shaft manufacturer's website to know what swing speeds match what flex.

Hope that helps.

~Rock

Back