• Sell the graphite and stay with steel

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a set of graphite shafts with the intent of making the switch in the off- season. I REALLY like my Hogan PTX-Pros, and play decent enough with them that I'm wavering on my commitment to change anything with them. I'm a little leary to pull the steel shafts and not like the feel/results of graphite. So I come asking for suggestions, what head should I go with? Snag a set of ptx pros on the market place, ebay, etc? Or.... try a different offering but similar style? (Suggestions)

I might be a Callaway homer, but it's pretty hard to ignore the new Apex irons.

So much of the new releases are so good. Lots to choose from.

If you are serious about possibly keeping the Hogans, why not just reshaft one iron with a graphite shafts and see how it goes? Or, if you want new irons, just forget I said anything :).

I might be a Callaway homer, but it's pretty hard to ignore the new Apex irons.
How different are they going to be from my current irons? I need something more forgiving and the PTX are definitely that. The few Apex I've hit didn't really do much for me but weren't really set up for me either. I'm kind of in a limited offering void. I guess my best option is to go get fit and see but not entirely sure that's the route I want to go.

If you are serious about possibly keeping the Hogans, why not just reshaft one iron with a graphite shafts and see how it goes? Or, if you want new irons, just forget I said anything :).
Reasonable enough suggestion, I just feel like if I'm going to do it, I need to just do it all together.

Reasonable enough suggestion, I just feel like if I'm going to do it, I need to just do it all together.

The switch from steel to graphite can be tough. I had several false starts so can definitely appreciate your trepidation. Now that I am in graphite, I will never go back to steel - albeit more because of wear and tear than any great performance advantage.

How different are they going to be from my current irons? I need something more forgiving and the PTX are definitely that. The few Apex I've hit didn't really do much for me but weren't really set up for me either. I'm kind of in a limited offering void. I guess my best option is to go get fit and see but not entirely sure that's the route I want to go.
Since I've never hit either of them it'd be hard for me to say how different they'd be from your current irons. In @Jman's review and the thread about them, forgiveness is one of the big things they talk about, though. I haven't hit them, I just think they're great looking irons and I like the tech Callaway has put into them, pretty fascinating stuff.

I would do the most cost effective thing first. Pull the steel shafts and install the graphite. You can always swap them back in/out if you don't like the graphite.

I made the switch a couple of years ago and went with steelfiber's. I find them to be one flex stiffer than stated so I went from tour issue S400's to steel fiber I-95 reg flex and have been very happy in my Srixon z545's.

I have been playing the PTx Pros with Recoil 110 Prototype shafts and they just don’t leave the bag. I think you will be just fine making the shaft swap and they are damn good irons. No matter what else I get, they will always have a home in my bag for time to time.

Why not at least give a super game improvement iron a look? Callaway big Bertha? Titleist t300 or 400?
Or some sort of game improvement mizuno hot metal, cobra.
Nobody wants to hear this but look at game improvement irons if that’s what your needing.

I tried graphite just this past week when I got fitted for my P770s and personally didn't like them in my irons. I hear they are very polarizing and the flex/torque profiles are much different. I'd say take your PTX Pros in to get fitted in with the intention to throw new shafts in them. Also, do NOT let them have you try an assortment of heads, just use the closest available head and test shafts.

I bought a set of graphite shafts with the intent of making the switch in the off- season. I REALLY like my Hogan PTX-Pros, and play decent enough with them that I'm wavering on my commitment to change anything with them. I'm a little leary to pull the steel shafts and not like the feel/results of graphite. So I come asking for suggestions, what head should I go with? Snag a set of ptx pros on the market place, ebay, etc? Or.... try a different offering but similar style? (Suggestions)

Full graphite convert. Haven’t given it a shot since the original Burner Bubble irons with irons.

It took about 2 swings with modern shafts and wondered WTF I’ve been thinking? I have lost 10-15 mph CHS post accident with driver, so I’m more in the sweet spot with most of these.

Should have 2021’s irons tomorrow. If you’d have told me I’d ever have PXG in my bag I’d have called you nuts. But none the less, I’ve got a set coming tomorrow with MMT Tour 80’s S-flex.

There was no graphite option for X from them and I’m a tweener anyways. I hit a Sub70 7i with an R-flex graphite shafts and was just murdering the ball with it. Eyes have been opened.

Can’t wait until my kid swipes these from me so I can have back my MP-18’s lol.

I’ll probably look for a set of F4 UST pulls for them at that point:)

Sold. I was worried about control but I have better control. So much more fun.

Why not at least give a super game improvement iron a look? Callaway big Bertha? Titleist t300 or 400?
Or some sort of game improvement mizuno hot metal, cobra.
Nobody wants to hear this but look at game improvement irons if that’s what your needing.
I'm not opposed to anything improving my game, lord knows I need it. However, from what I've seen, SGI typically revolves around technology helping get the ball in the air, and anyone who's played with me(@LLIB @KY Golfer ) knows, I need the opposite of need more elevation :ROFLMAO:

I'm not opposed to anything improving my game, lord knows I need it. However, from what I've seen, SGI typically revolves around technology helping get the ball in the air, and anyone who's played with me(@LLIB @KY Golfer ) knows, I need the opposite of need more elevation :ROFLMAO:

I’ve got a set of RAZR Tour X-Forged looking for a new home. If you can hit those too high, well-lesson time? 😂

PX LZ’s in 6.0 and some sharp grips (light blue) and lead tape all over so I know a player played them. If wasn’t me. The MB design was fine when I could make consistent contact. They were sold as standard LLL to me, but I’d have that checked.

I’m willing to part with for a THP worthy price if interested. Lemme know.

There’s also forgiveness and distance in there.

This is a good suggestion. Take one of your irons you have confidence in or gets used the most frequently, pull the steel shaft and try the graphite. Least amount of work, but it will give you quality feedback. Plus it’s easy enough to put the steel back in if it doesn’t work.

I would do the most cost effective thing first. Pull the steel shafts and install the graphite. You can always swap them back in/out if you don't like the graphite.
Do you have multiple iron options available to try at your studio? :unsure::unsure:

I'd see if you could find a spare set of heads to put your shafts in. That way if for some reason you don't like them they are easy to sell and you don't have any down time replacing shafts again.

There's another discussion in another thread about the Callaway Apex DCB's and Titleist T400's. It's not too in-depth... just someone asking which iron to get... and someone said the DCB's were a smaller game improvement head... more like a Titleist T300.

If you want to try graphite, get a set of the heads you play and build them up. That way the only thing different is the shaft. Then see if graphite works for you. If it does, maybe sell your other set... otherwise sell the graphite set and look for something else.

Big Time Golf Guys (@golfunfiltered second podcast mentioned that Callaway has something like 11 different iron offerings. Adam and Bill Bush (from driving range heroes) were checking out the specs for the new Callaway Apex line...) 11 iron offerings.

I know I was drooling over a set of T400's myself and trying to decide how to get them... and went another way with a set of Mavrik Max irons. They should arrive today.

I'll admit I'm not a shaft feel expert by any means, but I found nothing negative in switching from steel to graphite shafts. Admittedly, the steel shafts I was playing likely weren't a good fit for me, but in steel the DG X100 was the shaft I was fitted into. I currently play the Recoil 125 Proto in F5 (xstiff) and have no question they stand up to my swing as well as a steel shaft.

If you are feeling good about them, then stay with them!

Pull the steel and try them with the graphite shafts. It will be the best way to tell if the shafts make a difference. If you put them in different heads unless your really familiar with your distances it would be harder to make a judgement in my book

Back