Iron Swing - How Much Effort?

How hard is your full iron swing

• Happy Gilmore

• As hard as possible while staying in balance

• I never swing my irons at 100%

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I really slow the swing down while practicing, the swing feels better and on video it looks better. The left and right dispersion improves as well. The problem with taking that to the course is I'd have to be ok with getting 8i distance out of my 6i. Easier said than done.

This is essentially the very best way to play golf.

on the course, I'm at about 90%...probably closer to 85.

I agree with most. I think I swing 85-90% max. After that, while I can punch it up a notch, my consistent contact becomes suspect. For eaxmple, my CHS is about 93-94 mph with a 6i. I know I can swing it another couple MPH more but it doesn't really add anything.

6i at 94mph swinging 85-90%? Wowza. I bet your ball is scared when you break out driver.

6i at 94mph swinging 85-90%? Wowza. I bet your ball is scared when you break out driver.

There's my last sim session with my 6i. If you would watch a video of me swing, it doesn't really look like I am trying to kill it. At least I don't think so. I've seen a lot of swings that are a lot more violent than mine.

And the ball is not as scared as i would like it to be when I break out driver. I would rather it be terrified. In reality, it's just 'highly concerned'. :giggle:

1581973266079.png

I rarely swing at 100%. I’m usually at about 75-85%. I can’t maintain my balance if I try to go 100%.

As much as I hate to admit it - 80-85% gives me max consistency and I might only lose 5yds.... I can’t control the swing outta my shoes like I used to

stupid old body

I'd say I swing my irons at, what feels like, probably 85% right now as I'm in the the throes of a swing change. I'm carrying my 8i about 150 at that speed. The extra (what would feel like) 5% might pick me up an extra 7-10 yards.

I think where a lot of people confuse effort in a swing is WHERE they're applying effort. If I rip down from the top of the swing trying to gain distance, forget about it. It's an absolute disaster both in distance and dispersion. I'm out of balance and stumbling like a drunk leaving a ***** house and the end of it. Sure, sometimes I'll catch it clean and pound the 8 165-170 straight as an arrow, but that's maybe 1 out of 10 swings. I don't like those odds on a golf course.

When I transition smooth and acclerate my clubhead THROUGH the ball rather than AT the ball I get WAY more clubhead speed. That's not new news but it took me a long time to execute it and actually feel what people have been saying for, literally, centuries. ?‍♂️
#behindthecurve

I have no idea. I’ve never really consciously thought about percentage, just “Slow down.” or “Easier.”

i couldn't tell you what the percentage of total effort is for my full swing. It's what feels right and controllable. partial swings are then governed by how far back I take them. With a driver, I know I can really crank it up if I want, but children are then in danger.

I swing slow. A 7 iron is my 125-130 yard club now, and a 150 yard 5 iron is a WOW shot for me.

I rarely swing HundoP with my irons. The downside is usually greater than the upside. I would rather smooth a shorter club.

For me its about 90%. I never try to swing hard because its much easier for me to stay in-tempo and in-balance if I just make a nice, easy swing.

For anybody interested in improving their swing tempo-swing rhythm, and not go "hard at the ball" I suggest copying Davis Love's long time pre shot routine.
Specifically, before addressing the ball he stood away from it and made a little half length practice swing back and thru. The purpose of this was to feel (and remember) a swing pace he liked.

Harder does not equal faster. In fact, a lot of time swinging slower and in better tempo/form, will actually allow you to swing faster. IMO you should never have to feel like you’re swinging your irons at 100% every single time. It should feel controlled and in tempo.

Thanks for the responses everyone. They will definitely help me and hopefully anyone else who is struggling.

I have to slow the swing down and just not to worry about distance for a while, which is going to take some discipline. I'll have to pull at least 1 more club and focus on speed at the right time instead of swinging hard from the top. At least I think that's what right for me. As long as I can maintain the mindset of an easier tempo, if or when it gets to the point where I'm missing long more often than short, I'll assume things are improving.

I'll have to see how it goes. As Mike Tyson once said, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

One of the older guys I golf with always tells me: A well struck easy swing will always go further than a poorly struck hard swing.

Something I often remind myself of during a round.

I try to feel like I'm swinging at about 75%. If I have a choice between really having to step on a club to hit a distance or clubbing up and swinging easy, I'll almost always take the latter.

I don't swing hard with an club. I try to put a smooth swing on the ball. Swinging hard can cause erratic shots for me. I feel more in control if I make a nice pass at the ball

I said as hard as possible while staying in balance. I go by swing tempo. That's what's important. 3.2. It seems that's where it comes out for me.

I've been swinging too hard with all clubs lately, save for wedges. Totally against my norm and what's necessary for my health.

Not surprising that my game has turned to poop.

Ideally, I'm at 75-80% with the typical full iron shot. Probably closer to 90% though mostly lately with too many at full throttle.

I picked the middle option but would have said, "Swing as hard as possible maintaining balance but always less than 100%". But I probably do swing 100% at balls in the rough where I know its going to be hard to maintain the swing speed thru the grass & ball.

On the other hand I think of swinging under control in the backswing and transition while accelerating on the downswing at near 100%...

Ya think? :)
Don’t be afraid to try X7’s/PX 7.0 in your irons. It’s common for people to assume that they are too stiff for everyone, but they might be perfect for you.

6i numbers from my last session are attached. That was with X100’s and I’ve since switched to PX 7.0 and am hitting longer and straighter than I ever have. I want to test some left dash Pro V1X’s as well seeing the spin profile.

Attachments

• 33D72AB9-47F5-4A1E-9842-CC8503A75B82.jpeg
    33D72AB9-47F5-4A1E-9842-CC8503A75B82.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
Back