• As hard as possible while staying in balance

• I never swing my irons at 100%

Results are only viewable after voting.

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I'm curious how others approach this both while practicing and while playing a competitive round.

I believe many good players swing very hard, but because they are under control, it often looks as though they are swinging with less effort.

I have a slow swing speed averaging around 140 total yards with a 7i. I feel like I often swing too hard in an attempt to make up for what is probably slower than average ability. But on some of my worst rounds - the ones that seem like the swing has completely abandoned me - I am literally sore afterwards from trying and failing to reach even my modest distances by swinging out of my shoes. Likewise, there have been times when I'll hit my normal distances with an easier swing, probably because I'm doing something more correctly, or setting myself up for success by hitting the center of the face. This makes me wonder if it is just natural ability/inability to swing fast, or partially due of an issue caused by a swing fault. When I really slow the swing down while practicing, the swing feels better and on video it looks better. The left and right dispersion improves as well. The problem with taking that to the course is I'd have to be ok with getting 8i distance out of my 6i. Easier said than done.

The thing is, when the swing is on - which is rare - I can swing harder and still stay in control.

I'm just curious as to how many, if any, take a little bit off when they swing their irons.

smooth and contestant

I always swing with more effort than the distance dictates on all normal approach shots. The aim is to fly the ball a certain distance and control the stop. This can only be achieved by imparting backspin, the more backspin the better.

I'd say I swing my irons at, what feels like, probably 85% right now as I'm in the the throes of a swing change. I'm carrying my 8i about 150 at that speed. The extra (what would feel like) 5% might pick me up an extra 7-10 yards.

I think where a lot of people confuse effort in a swing is WHERE they're applying effort. If I rip down from the top of the swing trying to gain distance, forget about it. It's an absolute disaster both in distance and dispersion. I'm out of balance and stumbling like a drunk leaving a ***** house and the end of it. Sure, sometimes I'll catch it clean and pound the 8 165-170 straight as an arrow, but that's maybe 1 out of 10 swings. I don't like those odds on a golf course.

When I transition smooth and acclerate my clubhead THROUGH the ball rather than AT the ball I get WAY more clubhead speed. That's not new news but it took me a long time to execute it and actually feel what people have been saying for, literally, centuries. ?‍♂️

I swing hard, because I feel there’s less time for me to screw the swing up. If I’ve got a shot where I can choose a hard 7 iron or easy 6 iron, I’ll pick an 8 iron instead and give It the old steroid jerk!

I try not to swing hard, although not always successful.

If a smooth and slower swing gives you the best results, then do that. If you're worried about losing distance, consider getting a set of game improvement or super game improvement irons. They'll help with launch and forgiveness on mishits and, because the lofts of the clubs may be "jacked" then you may get more distance too. (You'll hit your 7i but it'll actually be lofted like a 6i or 5i.

I've got the same issue. Slow swing speed, 7i only travels 130 yards or so on a good hit. I'm wanting to get something that's a lot more forgiving than what I have now and will give me some extra distance (titleist T400's to me are gorgeous and don't look like the hybrid irons like Cleveland launcher or Cobra t-rails).

I try to fully swing my irons but not swing out of my shoes.

Or, if you're in a position to, get a lesson or two from a qualified instructor. Maybe it can help you with what you're looking for.

I used to always be at 100%. I dropped down a bit and lost maybe 10 yards on each iron, but I'm so much more accurate.

I think that tempo is the biggest thing for iron swing. Fast swings can have good tempo as well as slow swings. Swinging out of my shoes never works well unless everything is clicking.

I don't swing anything 100%. I have injury issues to worry about, but even if I didn't, I doubt I would live over 90. You can't do anything in life as hard as you possibly can every time and expect to repeat the motion in a way golf requires. You have to find a balance. I swing as hard as allows me to maintain my form, balance, results, and health. That's my ?. I push past it only on the rare times circumstances require it.

Swinging too hard is my number one flaw, I’m really trying to slow down my irons.

I have learned I get better results if I keep my swing smooth and easy.. Easier to club up and swing 80% with better results, usually if I try to swing "hard" it will result in a pull left.

I usually want to be at around 90%. If I am off balance, it is too hard.

I will often swing what I view as hundred percent, while maintaining balance and tempo.

Awwww hell. This is a dumb conversation for me to enter. The conversation is t dumb but my reaction to it is for the usual golfer. I swing as hard as I possibly can pretty much every shot. I come from a long drive background and it tickles me when I hit a pure iron shot longer than most think possible. Lately due to illness and meds, I can’t find the center of the club, but that’ll come again.

Best advise is to stay in control of your swing. But I’ve had some beautiful rounds where I wasn’t and it all came together. I’ve also had some that were pathetic

Stay in control, don’t. Doesn’t matter. What do you want out of a round? A decent score or you lowest possible? Swinging all out will one day lead to lowest possible. Controlling it will lead to better average scores.

How much effort...all of it...

Serious answer - I’m sure it’s different for everyone. I don’t swing as fast as I possibly can. So probably more like, as fast as I can while remaining in control/balance/sequence.

I agree with most. I think I swing 85-90% max. After that, while I can punch it up a notch, my consistent contact becomes suspect. For eaxmple, my CHS is about 93-94 mph with a 6i. I know I can swing it another couple MPH more but it doesn't really add anything.

I swing hard just about all the time. My swing speed doesn’t match the effort and I think it’s due to an early release...

Kind of tough to fit my response in those above. I swing at my comfortable speed most likely to have good timing. I could swing harder, but would gain nothing.

My thought is pull enough club so a reasonable strike will get there. There's no need to have to give it 110%.

Dave

When I watch the golfers on tour hit a golf ball it looks so effortless, while mine feels like I'm swinging a wagon tongue some of the times. I have to say that my swing has to be described as a real piece of work. :eek:

Last edited:
For a lot of people swinging what feels like 80% or so actually nets a gain in distance. The reason being of course they are finding center face instead of hitting the ball all over the face of the club and they are making a nice clean compression of the ball.

I have always had an issue trying to muscle everything and the results show when I do. My best and longest strikes with every club come when I am relaxed and tension free. I then allow the club to do the work and what feels like an 80% swing is actually faster because the tension is gone.

I really can't put a percentage on it, but I swing as hard and fast as I'm comfortable with, which means I don't think about how fast I swing the club. I just swing and whatever happens, happens. I don't worry about swinging fast, just swing comfortably.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

To me swinging hard and swinging fast are very different. I believe swinging hard is a swing loaded with tension. I have increased my swing speed substantially and yet I don't swing any harder at all. I think it is easier now. My grip is easier too. When I swing hard and fast, my shot will suffer. I am more concerned with my rythm and temp and feel. As far as 100% it all depends on the shot, but more than often I am swinging probably 85-95% for consistency and accuracy.

I never swing 100% ... if I do, my percentage of mishits and bad shots increases. Overall, I’m better giving up some distance for more consistent and accurate (for me) shots.

Back