Dirt_Guy

I dig holes.
Reaction score
Handicap
Bogey-ish
Well, I did go to the "local" golf shop (120 mile round trip) to test out a few irons. I've been in need of a new set ever since I bought what I currently have. They are a generic brand that resembles the Ping Eye 2 irons. Needless to say, most clubs on the market today have a better chance of helping my swing flaws.

I started swinging the Burners and I was just crushing the ball. The distance was unreal and had such a great feel with each ball strike. Although these clubs were great, they weren't what I need to advance my game. I need more help with my finesse than distance, so I had to move on.

Next, I sampled the R9's. Once again, I was pounding the ball downrange like the Burners. The difference I realized between the R9's and the Burners was the different club feel in the scoring irons. The R9 scoring irons flirt more toward players' irons than GI irons in my opinion. I need my irons to be as forgiving as possible in the whole set, so I had to move on once again.

Now I found myself with the irons that brought me to the golf shop today, the CG7 Black Pearls. With the great review that was done about the bp's and the current Cleveland promotion, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I started swing these and fell in love. I didn't hit them the distance of the TaylorMade clubs, but I found the grace that I feel my game desperately needs. I don't know if I chose these irons because I had it in my mind to try them out, they looked so amazing, or it was a great deal when packaged with the Cleveland promotion, but these will now push my current iron set into the spare bag.

The guy helping me with my fitting told me that my occasional push/fade is probably due to not having the irons fine-tuned to my swing. He recommended I get +.5 length and +1* lie with and extra wrap under my right hand. It is amazing what a few tweaks to a club can do to change their playability. It was great to have access to their driving range with heated stalls to see the true ball flight and not just what the launch monitor says.

I'll add whatever comments I have about these clubs to the current thread on their review once I get some time with them. Unfortunately, the courses close till spring once we get enough snow, so it will be all simulator time until then.

Great write up and glad you found your irons. Keep us updated with how it turns out. You got the best looking irons I have ever seen or tried. All 3 sets you tried are very good. You are also right that the promotion makes it a no brainer.

Dirt - Sounds like the trip was well worth it. Some people don't realize the fittings don't just help you find the best iron for your game but they also help to find the right specs... Looking forward to hearing what you think after you get your fitted irons.

Hey Dirt,

Glad to hear those Clevelands worked for you. I went into the store to try them tonight and got side tracked talking wedges with the crew. Those sound like fantastic sticks and I am looking forward to trying them too. Being properly fit is one of the best things you can do for your game. If you are like me you are probably looking at those new sticks right now...they are georgous.

Sounds like you had a great time, nice work.

I'm just glad you got some new sticks. seems like a bit of a drive but i bet it was a great day. hell, i'd drive to florida and back if i could come home with a new set. the cleveland's have my attention for sure and have been able to put my hands on a right handed version but no one locally has them in left handed. they say they can order them but i prefer to hit them for a while. can't wait to hear what you have to say.

picked up a Upro today for the old man and got a great deal. $299!

I'm sure it isn't easy finding the lefty clubs in stock. Sounds like you found quite a deal on the gps... WOW!

I'm sure it isn't easy finding the lefty clubs in stock. Sounds like you found quite a deal on the gps... WOW!

fortunately i've become pals with the owner of the local golfusa. i don't know if we're friends but i've spent a fair chunk of money with him, so he said he'd hook me up.

he said he'd get a lefty demo BP in for me but we'll have to see. Man, i bet you can't wait til spring rolls around? Head on down south after the new year and we'll tee it up! in fact, i'll be heading to Myrtle Beach in February for 5 days of golf and would love to meet up with some THP'ers.

I've already got the itch to use 'em and I don't even have them yet. I wish I could get away, but work has me bogged down. It is good and bad to be good at what you do.

I might go crazy enough to take a day trip and drive as far south as I need to play a round, then come back north. I still have my spontaneous moments.

Dog gone it Dirt, you had to go and write that up? I just bought some Burners, got the itch and couldn't wait to try the Clevelands. But, good job on the purchase. You'll have the best playin, best lookin sticks on the course, and an update comin down the road. Congrats.

Sounds like you made a great choice Dirt. Half the battle in choosing something new is not second guessing. I am in the same boat as TC, trying to find demo lefty stuff.

Sounds like you made a great choice Dirt. Half the battle in choosing something new is not second guessing. I am in the same boat as TC, trying to find demo lefty stuff.

SUCKS, doesn't it?! Sometimes I don't even want to go into the shop for that reason.

Dog gone it Dirt, you had to go and write that up? I just bought some Burners, got the itch and couldn't wait to try the Clevelands. But, good job on the purchase. You'll have the best playin, best lookin sticks on the course, and an update comin down the road. Congrats.

The Burners did win a place in my heart, but the BP's beat them in the competition for my bag. The Burners had a great feel and the distance was insane. I actually had to talk myself out of them because I need help sticking on the green.

Back