Iron vs Wood/Hybrid Swing

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Andy,

Maybe you can help me, my problem is that for the life of me I cannot get my irons and wood/hybrids going at the same time. If I take a lesson and get my wood going well, I lose the feel for the irons. The opposite is true when I get my irons working nicely. Maybe its all in my head, but this keeps happening and is really stopping me from having a great round.

Little bump here on my thread for the new GolfTEC guys, thanks!

ripper....that is the way golf is! The day you do get your irons and woods going your putter will leave you....at least thats the way it usually seems to work for most people. Ultimately you should have one consistent full swing (to hit normal shots where you do not try to move the ball one way or the other) that will not be different from driver to pw. Granted there are setup and angle of attack differences in addition to the different lofts on the clubs. So, whoever you are taking your lessons with needs to help you correlate the two together. At the same time, you need to go back and see that person more probably more frequently. I don't want my students going longer then two weeks without a lesson because there is too much time in between where things can go wrong.

At the same time, you need to have him explain the differences and similarities between woods and irons. I see it all too often when I have a lesson with one of my students and we happened to hit more irons that day. The next time they come in they are talking about not hitting their driver well and come to find out that they are setting their driver up like their iron. Go figure right....he took the lesson we talked about which involved some changes at setup and applied it to EVERY CLUB in the bag. Hope that gives you a place to start.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
PGA Certified Professional

Thanks Patrick, it does help. I also find your advice of a lesson every two weeks very useful, I have been taking one once a month and getting in maybe 8 to 10 rounds between lessons, so I will have to mix that up and get some more instruction. I will let my instructor know what you said about finding one swing and go from there. Thanks.

Back