MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Been struggling with my iron game. Hitting significantly less than 50% GIR. Current irons are Hogan PTxPro with Recoil SmacWrap 780. Great feeing irons, love the way they set up and look. But performance had started to wane, often with a bad two way miss.

For today’s skins game I decided to bag some old Ping i5 I have, with Nippon Pro Modus 105 R flex shafts. I hit 9 of 18 greens, with 4 of the misses due to tee shots that put me into trouble. Other misses were much less severe.

Love the look and feel of the Hogans, but performance counts. The Pings are gonna have to stick around for a while longer.

You think the shafts are too light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the miss, left, right?

Do you full swing your 56*? If so, how does that go?

Yes my theory is that the shafts are too light. As I mentioned it’s a two way miss. Blocks and pulls mostly with an occasional hard hook thrown in. Seem to miss on the toe quite a bit. 56* when I do use a full swing is about 90 yards.

Yes my theory is that the shafts are too light. As I mentioned it’s a two way miss. Blocks and pulls mostly with an occasional hard hook thrown in. Seem to miss on the toe quite a bit. 56* when I do use a full swing is about 90 yards.

Not that say specific on the 56. Which is fine. Lol I was just curious, because they don't make hi-rev that I'm aware of lighter than 115g, and same as @Jrt13 , the iron shafts sound light to me. So I was wondering if you miss the same with a full swing 56 or if you time it better. It's a big weight jump from your SW's to that. Unless it's a hi-rev G. I think those are about 80g.

Last edited:
Updated my signature block to reflect the Hogan wedges which have the Tour 90 shafts, as well as a couple of other changes.

One other point: According to Arccos, I'm actually more accurate with my 4-iron than any other club in the set...

Have you considered a more recent vintage set?

Have you considered a more recent vintage set?

To what end? If I eventually believe that the shafts are the problem with the Hogans, I’ll just re-shaft them.

Back