Irons: How do you view them?

OITW

Reaction score
How do you view your irons?

1) Are they works of art, do you constantly clean and polish them, put iron covers on them?

2) Are “tools” get beat up dirty and worn,maintain the upkeep to keep them performing but visually “beat up”

3) A combination of the above

For me it’s option 3 I clean my clubs when they get really dirty, protect them while traveling, but I don’t mind chatter or any “use” nicks or scratches

Irons are workhorses and not trailer queens for me. I want chatter, and give me all the dirt.

Used to be a 1. Now I’m a 3. Will use headcovers in the car sometimes and when traveling. Clean them every now and then, but don’t mind a little chatter

#2 for me. I’ll wipe them down if they’re real muddy or something but I’m not cleaning them all the time.

2. I have a brush attached to my towel, I give the grooves a quick swipe and if necessary the sole a quick wipe and that's it.

I've never cleaned a set of irons during my use of them, in any real sense of the word. Only time I'll clean is before taking pictures for sale.

I'm not careful with something I smash repeatedly into the ground at up to 90mph. Patina is a thing of beauty. Here's a picture of my 4 iron from the 1987 set I played for 13 years that has about 2,000 rounds on it. And yes it is a hollow-bodied club(for the 2,3,4 iron) and considered cutting edge 32 years ago.

IMG_4980 3.JPG

Last edited:
Option 3 for me. I don't get crazy. Just a quick wipe after a shot as I am returning it to the bag and a quick wipe wide at the end of the round

#2 The irons are the O-line for the golf bag. Nothing flashy but getting the job done efficiently.

Keep the grooves clean, wipe the 1/2 lb. of dirt off when I fat them, then, throw them in the back seat of my truck for the next round. Soon I'll bring them in the house for the winter and give them a good cleaning.

3, I guess. Use iron covers, and don't apologize for it, but really only clean them about once a month.

2 for sure. I love listening to them clack as I walk with them strapped across my back.

Usually from the handle end.

Mine are very firmly in the “workhorse” category.

1) Are they works of art, do you constantly clean and polish them, put iron covers on them?

2) Are “tools” get beat up dirty and worn,maintain the upkeep to keep them performing but visually “beat up”

For me it’s option 3 I clean my clubs when they get really dirty, protect them while traveling, but I don’t mind chatter or any “use” nicks or scratches

3. They are workhorses sure; but I have the exact opposite views on dirt that Jman has haha

2. For me. My irons are tools of the trade so to speak. Just make sure grooves are cleaned.

2. The irons are totally the work horses of the bag and chatter is proof of their experience.

#2. I like how my irons tells a story about my game.

2. battle scars give them character.

I would fall into the third category, I keep my clubs functionally clean. I will clean the grooves after each shot and like keeping my grips clean, but wear marks and bag chatter are part of the game.

#1 with no covers.

number 3 for me as well. I keep them in good shape, but understand they will get beat up over time - just not abused.

I would fall into the third category, I keep my clubs functionally clean. I will clean the grooves after each shot and like keeping my grips clean, but wear marks and bag chatter are part of the game.

I with you. Character and patina are fine, but faces need to be clean to play ?. I'll play up to three rounds between washing clubs, but usually by then things are crusty enough that a quick spa sesh goes down. Clean grooves and faces are confidence inspiring in addition to functional.

I with you. Character and patina are fine, but faces need to be clean to play ?. I'll play up to three rounds between washing clubs, but usually by then things are crusty enough that a quick spa sesh goes down. Clean grooves and faces are confidence inspiring in addition to functional.

Preach.

#2. I'll give them a quick clean after the round, and I don't tend to create much wear, but I buy/play used clubs so they're usually pretty worn. They'll be hardly any worse for wear when I'm through with them, but the scars from their past don't bother me. I'm a contractor. I take care of my tools, but I generally don't care how ugly they are if they can do the work. That being said, I would love to ask whoever owned them last if our 8-iron slept with his wife or something, because he took out some serious aggression on that thing.

definitely 3. Above all else they are tools. You also have to take care of your tools so they remain sharp and useful. I clean them regularly but only use iron covers when I travel for extra protection.

Back