Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
How long have you had your current set of irons and how long do you typically play the same set of irons?

I currently play Ping Beryllium Copper ISI irons. I have had them about 6 years (I got them very lightly used) and I'm wondering whether or not it's time for a new set.

Thanks in advance!

Its always time for a new set...Just kidding. I usually go every 3-5 years.

I have been playing my current set for about three years. I average about 25 to 30 rounds a year. The last set I had, I played for about 5 or 6 years and with about 50 rounds a year on them, the grooves had worn considerably and the irons needed to be replaced. I don't know how many rounds a year you play but if it is every other week, the chances are that the grooves are starting to wear down after 6+ years.

Its always time for a new set...Just kidding. I usually go every 3-5 years.

Due to wear? Or just because "it's time"?

Because it is time. It takes a long time to wear clubs out.

If I remember correctly from my chemistry/physics classes, Steel is twice as hard as Copper, thus Copper would wear twice as fast as Steel would.

If I remember correctly from my chemistry/physics classes, Steel is twice as hard as Copper, thus Copper would wear twice as fast as Steel would.

Not sure about this...the grooves on my Taylor Made Tour 61* did round over but that was because I practiced with it 4or 5 days a week (which one can do in retirement). Shouldn't be a problem if you only play with them a couple of times a week during the golf season. The beryllium in the copper makes it pretty hard but with a soft feel. Wish I had a set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper

Not sure about this...the grooves on my Taylor Made Tour 61* did round over but that was because I practiced with it 4or 5 days a week (which one can do in retirement). Shouldn't be a problem if you only play with them a couple of times a week during the golf season. The beryllium in the copper makes it pretty hard but with a soft feel. Wish I had a set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium_copper

Taken directly from your link:
Compared to tools made of steel, Beryllium copper tools are more expensive, not as strong and wear out more quickly

irons realistically last longer than you think. a good friend of mine, who is a +2 handicap, has played his 670MB irons for 5 years. his irons have some serious burn marks yet his irons still produce great spin levels. unless you play.hit balls every day you'll get at least 5-6 years out of your irons.

unfortunately, your shafts will not last that long. I recommend a reshaft every three years for a standard steel shaft

irons realistically last longer than you think. a good friend of mine, who is a +2 handicap, has played his 670MB irons for 5 years. his irons have some serious burn marks yet his irons still produce great spin levels. unless you play.hit balls every day you'll get at least 5-6 years out of your irons.

unfortunately, your shafts will not last that long. I recommend a reshaft every three years for a standard steel shaft

I agree, but he mentions in his original post he got the clubs used, 6+ years ago

I don't change my clubs if I can help it, only change the grips or step the shafts down if I need them a bit softer. Step down =
1. pulling all the shafts
2. install the 4 iron shaft in the 6 iron, the 5 shaft in the 7, the 6 shaft in the 8, right through the set.
3. installed shafts are butt tipped to their correct length, before or after their installation
In this instance there will be two shafts over requiring new shafts to be installed in the 4 & 5 irons. It's much cheaper than buying a new set and going through the familarizing stage, only cost the price of two shafts and the assembly.

I agree, but he mentions in his original post he got the clubs used, 6+ years ago

ah yes, well it all depends on the condition of the grooves... it's fun to get new clubs :act-up:

While I agree it's fun to make a change, I'm actually fairly happy with them. I guess I'll have to have an equipment guru check them out (hell, I haven't even changed grips on them yet). Laziness is such an unattractive quality.

no grip change! I find myself spending WAY to much money on grip changes. The summer humidity kills them!

no grip change! I find myself spending WAY to much money on grip changes. The summer humidity kills them!

Maybe I just don't play enough, or have a really light grip ... but the original ping grips are still fairly tacky.

Then again, I'm not much of an equipment junkie, so one of you guys could check out my sticks and have a totally different take.

How could ANYONE resist these grips?

Ummmm, it's EASY?
515.gif

haha... I'd like a set of IOMIC grips but there's no way I can spend 198 dollars on grips

Back