Irons question Mavrik Max vs Rogue X vs C521s

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to get new SGI irons. I've got the ok to get them from my wife. On a whim I was shopping at Callaway Pre Owned and that site showed me 10 SGI iron choices... All right! Awesome.:D Then, I set the filter to lefty.:rolleyes: It drops to 2.:ROFLMAO: This is going to be a blind buy and I'm going to play these irons for several years. Budget is $700.

Mavrik Max and Rogue X are the 2 options currently showing on CPO.

I'm interested in the Mavrik Max because I've heard and read great things about them and how they're awesome clubs. CPO shows they're 5-PW and have Project X Catayst 5.5 shafts.
There is also a set with KBS MAX 80 steel shafts. Well, 2 sets actually of those. 1 is 5-PW, the other is 4-AW.

I'm interested in TourEdge's C521's because they're also SGI and fit my budget and they don't look as off putting to my eye as the E521s do. I can get them with some sort of graphite shaft also.

I'm not sure whether I should even consider the Rogue X irons or not. CPO shows they're 5-PW with Aldila Synergy 60IR shafts.

I'm a slow swinger. 7i speed is in the 70's. When I make good contact the ball goes about 130 yards or so. I'm interested in the graphite shafts because I'm 50 and not getting any younger and there's something about my left elbow that's bothering me. My standard miss is a slice. I try not to take divots when I swing.

Considering those 3 irons, which would benefit me the best? Of course, getting fit would be first choice but I'm antsy and want new shiny clubs. I'm in analysis paralysis and afraid of making the wrong choice so I'm looking to THP to help me out.

I’m also a Lefty. I purchased a set of Rogues last year from CPO. They are superior to the original BB I had previously, but if I were buying today I would hold out for a set of Mav Max’s or even B21’s.

I would also take a hard look at a set of Cobra OL. You might be able to get into a set of speedzones in your price range once the Radspeeds actually start hitting the courses. I’m planning on trading my Rogues on a set of Radspeeds at some point in the near future. I’d like to hit them first, but finding LH demo clubs can be difficult.

Edit: Rogue X Would also be a good choice, similar to rogue, just a little stronger in the lofts.

I bought the MAX irons with the Project X 65 shafts. I hit my 7i about 150 yards. I have been very pleased with them. I especially like how my joints feel fine the day after a simulator session in which I hit off mats.

My 7i club head speed is 76 and I'm 10 years older.
I would tell you to get as close to JDM lofts (Jacked Lofts) as you can get.
I have a set of Rogue X's and I liked them....
Also - don't discount steel shafts - the new lighter ones are so much better than previous models.
I play a 95 R Flex and I don't miss Graphite.
Check your lie angles - if they are too flat you will slice them.

I’m also a Lefty. I purchased a set of Rogues last year from CPO. They are superior to the original BB I had previously, but if I were buying today I would hold out for a set of Mav Max’s or even B21’s.

I would also take a hard look at a set of Cobra OL. You might be able to get into a set of speedzones in your price range once the Radspeeds actually start hitting the courses. I’m planning on trading my Rogues on a set of Radspeeds at some point in the near future. I’d like to hit them first, but finding LH demo clubs can be difficult.

Edit: Rogue X Would also be a good choice, similar to rogue, just a little stronger in the lofts.
there's no holding out. I'm a little intrigued by one length clubs and Cobras in particular but I don't want to wait.:ROFLMAO:

My 7i club head speed is 76 and I'm 10 years older.
I would tell you to get as close to JDM lofts (Jacked Lofts) as you can get.
I have a set of Rogue X's and I liked them....
Also - don't discount steel shafts - the new lighter ones are so much better than previous models.
I play a 95 R Flex and I don't miss Graphite.
Check your lie angles - if they are too flat you will slice them.
Hmm... I read where players move to graphite and they don't suffer as much joint pain so that's why I'm willing to pull the trigger on those irons... but I can save almost $100 by choosing the steel shafts.

I guess whichever set I should get will be available when I get home tonight.(y)

Hmm... I read where players move to graphite and they don't suffer as much joint pain so that's why I'm willing to pull the trigger on those irons... but I can save almost $100 by choosing the steel shafts.

I guess whichever set I should get will be available when I get home tonight.(y)
I had the same elbow pain in my right hand side (I'm Righty) and it went away last year - TBH - I think the COVID shut down gave it the rest it needed that I wasn't giving it.
But I played Steel Shafts all year last year with no pain.

I had the same elbow pain in my right hand side (I'm Righty) and it went away last year - TBH - I think the COVID shut down gave it the rest it needed that I wasn't giving it.
But I played Steel Shafts all year last year with no pain.

Sorry you had pain but happy it's gone.

Maybe I should go steel and put the $100 towards a new driver?:unsure:

You can see my WITB in my signature. My iron and hybrid shafts are synergy 60 regular flex, with the exception of my Rogue SW and MD4, which are both TT wedge shafts. My last set of irons were ‘96 era BB with steel shafts. I really like the graphite shafts.

On the driver/FW side of things, I originally had Rogue 10.5/ 3w/ HW with the stock shafts. I recently upgraded to Mav Max 12 degree with a Helium shaft and Mav Max HW with the Riptide. I much prefer the Mav Max, they are much easier to hit.

You can see my WITB in my signature. My iron and hybrid shafts are synergy 60 regular flex, with the exception of my Rogue SW and MD4, which are both TT wedge shafts. My last set of irons were ‘96 era BB with steel shafts. I really like the graphite shafts.

On the driver/FW side of things, I originally had Rogue 10.5/ 3w/ HW with the stock shafts. I recently upgraded to Mav Max 12 degree with a Helium shaft and Mav Max HW with the Riptide. I much prefer the Mav Max, they are much easier to hit.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Mavrik Max irons. I've wanted Callaway clubs ever since the first Big Bertha. Maybe I can get them on order tonight.

It’s probably a budget-buster, but I noticed there’s a Mav Max AW and SW in the individual iron section as well if you wanted a wider-ranging set.

It’s probably a budget-buster, but I noticed there’s a Mav Max AW and SW in the individual iron section as well if you wanted a wider-ranging set.
I wasn't even looking there:LOL:. I figure 5-PW is good for me. Then again... I will need to fill the gap between the new PW and my SW...:unsure::ROFLMAO:

there's no holding out. I'm a little intrigued by one length clubs and Cobras in particular but I don't want to wait.
They're worth the wait!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

so tempting but I feel those Mavrik Max irons calling my name:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't discount the C521 irons. Super value and look pretty nice too.
10E51CEE-CBF7-434F-91ED-9D450AC9B66D.jpeg262C3C5F-D3AB-4EB4-87F9-A90F222C0730.jpeg57F5B781-7E5B-462F-B815-48175B32F1D2.jpeg22DAE41E-2545-4B3C-AF21-1ED07AFAA978.jpeg

Those are some nice looking clubs and were the frontrunners... but things conspired against them and Callaway won out. I just received my new to me 5-PW, lefty, graphite shafted irons. The 9i looks to have been a total of 4 times maybe.
Cool man. Enjoy.
I had a chance to hit the c521 7i the other day with the Rogue 65 shaft. Very easy swinging, nice launch and spin. If anyone is looking for a nice value option check em out.

Cool man. Enjoy.
I had a chance to hit the c521 7i the other day with the Rogue 65 shaft. Very easy swinging, nice launch and spin. If anyone is looking for a nice value option check em out.
I'm a lefty and my LGS only had the C521 in right hand... they were a great price, great quality, not too off-putting aesthetically... I was going to buy them but CPO had those irons and I just wasn't going to pass that up.

I'm a lefty and my LGS only had the C521 in right hand... they were a great price, great quality, not too off-putting aesthetically... I was going to buy them but CPO had those irons and I just wasn't going to pass that up.
Can’t go wrong with either. Bummer on the LH demo. Come to think of it I don’t think my store had any LH demos either.

Lefty demo clubs.:ROFLMAO: :cry: Yep. Not as rare as hens teeth butI would imagine they aren't too common.

Back