Irons with a higher ball flight

Minocqua golf

Reaction score
I need help with my irons. I’m a lower handicap player and have always used players irons. My current irons are from 2013 and worked well but now I’m 55 and could use help. I need to hit the ball higher, also more distance would be nice. I have always been a fan of Mizuno and Titleist but I’m open to something different.

Also I will be traveling to Sarasota and would like to find a good fitter.

If you have any insight on irons that could help or a good fitter in the Sarasota area that would be great. Thanks.

a fitter should narrow options down for you

but take a look at Ben Hogan Edge irons, foam-filled forged hollow heads with internal perimeter weighting and more traditional lofts

Welcome aboard, THP.

What shafts do you have in your irons?

I would tend to look at something with more static loft. The offerings today with the "Players Distance" irons are very strong and also have many options for "forged" clubs as well.

Probably shaft related but my P790's with Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap fly much higher than my CF-16's with Steelfiber i95.

Both sets are very long.

I need help with my irons. I’m a lower handicap player and have always used players irons. My current irons are from 2013 and worked well but now I’m 55 and could use help. I need to hit the ball higher, also more distance would be nice. I have always been a fan of Mizuno and Titleist but I’m open to something different.

Also I will be traveling to Sarasota and would like to find a good fitter.

If you have any insight on irons that could help or a good fitter in the Sarasota area that would be great. Thanks.

I would recommend Southy Golf - should be about 20 minutes from Sarasota. Had several playing partners get fit there with very good results when they went south for the winter the past few seasons.

I think shafts would make more of an impact than irons, but I'm open to being wrong

start with the ball. i am starting to believe it is the cheapest and fastest way to dramatically alter one’s performance in all aspects of the game.

after that, ask yourself what profile you are most comfortable with and work from there. something like cleveland launcher hb or cobra f9 would probably get that launch up, but maybe not in the footprint you want. i am very partial to apex cf19 forged as the best irons on the market, and they launch plenty high for me.

Last edited:
Having just come from talking with Danny Le for two days, I would take a hard look at the recoil line of graphite shafts to help with higher ball flight. They have several options in their lineup that are designed to do just that based on your swing speed.

Club head design will definitley help you. The fitter will get you going in the right direction. That said, I think the Callaway Apex irons are special. You should give them a good look. I also liked the Hogan PTx irons (more recent model would be the Pros). They are also very good but they spin a lot and I struggled with them playing in the wind, especially head wind. If you like to flight balls that wouldn't be an issue, and these could be a good option for you too. There are other good options, but those two will get you started.

Last edited:
FTw Black Hogan's, KBS TourV

Your welcome

I would recommend Southy Golf - should be about 20 minutes from Sarasota. Had several playing partners get fit there with very good results when they went south for the winter the past few seasons.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I have similar goals regarding ball flight. Titleist T200 with AMT shafts and Callaway Apex with Tour Elevate shafts were the best irons I tested in 2019. In both cases, the ball flight is (y). I'd give Apex the advantage for total height (maybe the shaft helped???). T200 wins the appearance category hands down. Distance was similar with both iron sets.

Good luck with the new irons and welcome to THP.

Cleveland 588 Altitude, Ping G700, Cobra T-Rail are the 3 highest launching irons I’ve tried thus far.

Can never go wrong with any Ping G series iron. They always fly pretty high.

If you want a high launching steel shaft go with a True Temper XP 95 shaft. Or go graphite.

Last edited:
Depends on what’s causing the needs for more launch.

I do think for a quick fix looking ball first is overlooked by many.

But, then it becomes do you need more doing to properly help the ball get and stay airborn? If so it may be a situation where it’s more than just going with a super deep CG design. Honestly, you going to find a fitter is the smartest way.

We all hit different heads and shafts differently, so not knowing your swing makes giving those recommendations tough.

MAKE me pick an iron though? I say look hard at the Cobra F9’s as well as the new Cleveland irons.

Same boat as you.....54 needing help....I've got a Srixon Z585/Z785 combo set 4-6i z585, 7-pw z785 with kbs tour regular 110g.....I tried lighter weight shafts but these fit my tempo perfectly.....I also weakened lofts 2* in z585 and 1* in 7,8 and 9i leaving pw @ 46* .....the flight I'm seeing is mid-hi to high with all clubs especially the long irons. The z585 portion is a steel face pocket cavity with a 1020 forged body.....the v sole has worked so very well I added rtx-4 wedges .

Back