Is Callaway in trouble

I didn't take the time to read the article but I would imagine with as much turnover as Callaway has had they will look pretty different in the future. I have no doubt they're still going to make some of the best products in the market but I'm really interested to see if they continue to be a marketing Juggernaut.

Did the sign Baddeley?

Truth be told I think the Mavrik name/spelling/color scheme is an odd choice. Performance is solid though from my little time with it.
Mavrik is the Rogue replacement so the name fits.

I mean even with the crazy stuff about "Oh Callaway picked an odd color for the Mavrik line". Yeah, well they did. But if you're that picky about the color on the bottom of the club you can spend another $100 and custom order it in a color you like.

Mavrik is the Rogue replacement so the name fits.

I couldn’t hit Rogue consistently at all. Didn’t last long for me.

It sounds like a boomer with WAY too much time on his hands. MacGregor??? What's that?

It sounds like a boomer with WAY too much time on his hands. MacGregor??? What's that?
Real talk: Id love to find a clean set of old Don White MacG’s.

Hell yes.
Had a set when they closed it down. Brand new for a song, were above my play at the time so I didn’t even play them. 😭

Callaway seems fine...I have a little bit invested in Callaway stock so I'm always reading up, following from the business side...they are doing well. I expect they will enjoy when Top Golf begins to be traded publicly as well (expected to IPO this year), as Callaway has some ownership there as well. They also own the Hogan brand which has seen some nice resurgence. They'll be okay.

Callaway seems fine...I have a little bit invested in Callaway stock so I'm always reading up, following from the business side...they are doing well. I expect they will enjoy when Top Golf begins to be traded publicly as well (expected to IPO this year), as Callaway has some ownership there as well. They also own the Hogan brand which has seen some nice resurgence. They'll be okay.
I am pretty sure they sold off the Hogan brand.

I am pretty sure they sold off the Hogan brand.
Yeah. Duh. You're right I think they sold to Perry Ellis (the apparel side anyway). Need more coffee today.

The equipment side may be independent again?

Either way...Callaway ain't going nowhere.

Whilst not agreeing with the premise of the article, callaway didn't do themselves any favours with the names and colour schemes (including head covers) from rogue up to now. That said, I have a mavrik max driver on the way so the orange hasn't stopped me from buying it.

Whilst not agreeing with the premise of the article, callaway didn't do themselves any favours with the names and colour schemes (including head covers) from rogue up to now. That said, I have a mavrik max driver on the way so the orange hasn't stopped me from buying it.
Based on sales, they did ok with their choices. :ROFLMAO:

Based on sales, they did ok with their choices. :ROFLMAO:

If you go to a fitting and try the mavrik vs the sim and the numbers are basically the same and you like the sound and look at address of both, are you going to buy the orange one with the horrendous head cover or the one with better aesthetics and better looking head cover?

If you go to a fitting and try the mavrik vs the sim and the numbers are basically the same and you like the sound and look at address of both, are you going to buy the orange one with the horrendous head cover or the one with better aesthetics and better looking head cover?
I’ve never in my life bought a non putter with the cover as part of the consideration, so I’m no help to your argument there.

As for the other part, as is the case with any club comparisons if they’re the same performance wise for you personal preference always wins. But again, based on sales numbers, they’ve clearly made ok choices.

I’ve never in my life bought a non putter with the cover as part of the consideration, so I’m no help to your argument there.

As for the other part, as is the case with any club comparisons if they’re the same performance wise for you personal preference always wins. But again, based on sales numbers, they’ve clearly made ok choices.

I didn't just mention head covers. I know plenty of people that don't watch you tube or are on golf forums so the first thing they see is the sole of the club in a shop if they are looking at a new driver (any wood). Whilst I am in no position to say callaway are not happy with their numbers, if I'm looking at these images when I walk into the store, I'm picking up the sim first every time. sim mav.jpg

I didn't just mention head covers. I know plenty of people that don't watch you tube or are on golf forums so the first thing they see is the sole of the club in a shop if they are looking at a new driver (any wood). Whilst I am in no position to say callaway are not happy with their numbers, if I'm looking at these images when I walk into the store, I'm picking up the sim first every time. View attachment 8951425
And that’s your preference, a personal one, and that’s cool.

But I can assure you, though some of us here on a golf forum may not like the color or cover, of which I’ve been one, the masses are more than ok with it given the sales numbers.

I may not like the colors they pick at times, it color isn’t an issue for them on the whole.

Definitely a matter of personal taste. Between those two, I'd buy the burnt orange Mav with the hideous head cover every day and twice on Sundays. I think the SIM is absolutely horrible looking with that big dorsal fin goiter thing on the bottom, I've hated it since the first time I saw it. Even if it was 10 yards longer and straighter than any other driver I still wouldn't bag it just because I hate the looks so much. I'd buy the Mav (or any other driver) in hot pink and mint green before I'd bag the SIM.

Last edited:
The Mavrik head cover is probably the first OEM head cover that I've really liked in years. Speaking to just drivers I've owned personally that is. 🤷

I didn't just mention head covers. I know plenty of people that don't watch you tube or are on golf forums so the first thing they see is the sole of the club in a shop if they are looking at a new driver (any wood). Whilst I am in no position to say callaway are not happy with their numbers, if I'm looking at these images when I walk into the store, I'm picking up the sim first every time. View attachment 8951425

looking at those two I’m picking up the Mavrik because the Sim is just too busy/clunky for my preference.

and that’s the beauty of options, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Callaway learned the mistakes of other organizations. You don't lose the game by having a product do poorly. You slip a little when a product does poorly. You lose the game by having a product do poorly after you've made a bajillion of them. Point being, a product getting poor reviews or not winning some head to head competitions or not 100% delivering on real or perceived promises doesn't really change very much unless your ratios like your quick ratio ((assets - inventory)/liabilities) get bad enough to shake investor confidence and really damage the dollars and cents side of brand equity. Callaway can release a product, maybe several, that don't dominate the pack in testing. Until they end up with a stock pile of them they can't move, throughput can be adjusted to keep them from losing too much money. Brand equity might break down, but plenty of brands have stuck around for a LONG time, and made comebacks, despite diminishing brand equity.

In short, this is another attempt to spin the Callaway ball issue from a year ago into pay by the word drivel.

Back