is Game of Thrones with a binge?

My opinion is a little different in that I agree seasons 1-5 are masterpieces but I still very much enjoyed the last few seasons (as a non book reader). The pace is so good through most of it that the last few seasons do feel very rushed and things are forced to happen very quickly, you don't get the character progression/building that you've become accustomed to, but still some great moments and I enjoyed most of the epicness for what it was. Then again, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and don't understand the outrage on The Last Jedi either. Just enjoy things for what they are, and when it isn't as good as what you're used to it doesn't take away from the fun and enjoyment you had along the way. Maybe I'm just easily entertained :unsure:

Yeah, just watch the first six seasons, then come back here and we'll tell you all the stupid stuff they do in 7 & 8.

Absolutely freakin lootly!
I held out (was stupid) for 5 seasons. Binged them all befor season 6(?). Hated that I had to wait a year for more.

do it. Do it now!!!

when you're "that guy" you just gotta embrace being "that guy" so i'll be "that guy:" no, go read the books instead. the books are amazing. i don't know how anyone can watch the show if they haven't read the books. there's so much going on, and so much backstory and exposition that the show cannot cover. the show is ok for what it is, but the books are special.
The books are amazing. I love that the story even though high fantasy is much more politically driven with people constantly jockeying for position and power. Yes there are dragons, yes are are another creatures you find in high fantasy novels. But everyone is very flawed and it makes for a great story.

i would recommend reading the books first, they are incredible. The show started great as well but the last few seasons were pretty bad without the guidance from the books. The first few seasons of the show is some of the best tv ever made imo, just wished the books were finished so they could have finished strong.

never has a meme so perfectly encapsulated my feelings on a topic

97e.jpg

this is spot on

Damnit. I hope I still get it. I usually give a series a ten minute rule. If I’m not interested in 10 minutes I try something else. If I fall asleep inside of those ten minutes it’s getting deleted from my search history.

I’ll give this another try since so many I know and respect here think it’s great (except apparently the end?).

Well I'm sitting out in the job trailer now, doing clubwork, and hating all of you for putting this in my head again. :LOL:

2 episodes down, and here we go for about the 7th time.. 🖕

Well I'm sitting out in the job trailer now, doing clubwork, and hating all of you for putting this in my head again. :LOL:

2 episodes down, and here we go for about the 7th time.. 🖕

Watcha flipping us the bird for? I mean you could take a left handed 40g graphite shafted ladies set out and play better than me.

So if the new clubs don’t get built, it’s not like you’re on 100 watch tomorrow? 🤷‍♂️

🤣

Game of thrones is amazing. The books are a great read. The changing perspectives per chapter are phenomenal. if you aren’t into reading then the show is fine. Some of the best television has to offer.

like all good things mainstream popularity and money kind of changed things season 5 and on. I caught myself so many times in those seasons saying, “they couldn’t be any thirstier for an Emmy”. They put that large budget into some great cgi, sets, effects, etc. for those later seasons, but the whole time it feels less and less like game of thrones and lacks substance in the climax of the plot after seasons of buildup. Part of that was an unfinished story being finished by someone other than the original author, who had indirect input.

with all that said it’s a much watch if you enjoyed lord of the rings at all, or anything similar. It’s in my top 3 favorite TV series of all time.

Watcha flipping us the bird for? I mean you could take a left handed 40g graphite shafted ladies set out and play better than me.

So if the new clubs don’t get built, it’s not like you’re on 100 watch tomorrow? 🤷‍♂️

🤣
Lol I'm resentful of the hours, not the clubwork. It'll actually help that stuff get done, because the wife doesn't like GOT.

You just can't stop it once you start though. :cautious:.

Lol I'm resentful of the hours, not the clubwork. It'll actually help that stuff get done, because the wife doesn't like GOT.

You just can't stop it once you start though. :cautious:.

It’s not on Netflix anymore so I’m safe. I’m not paying for it, even if worth it.

Damnit. I hope I still get it. I usually give a series a ten minute rule. If I’m not interested in 10 minutes I try something else. If I fall asleep inside of those ten minutes it’s getting deleted from my search history.

I’ll give this another try since so many I know and respect here think it’s great (except apparently the end?).

I had a similar experience an googled, "When does Game of Thrones get good?" Someone responded, "If you aren't hooked after episode seven pack it in." May have been episode eight? My wife and I slogged through the first six or seven episodes and then we were like, "Ahhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaap!" ...and we were hooked and binged the rest. Risky investing that much time, but it worked out in the end.

I'm completely on my own here, but I never really got into it. Have tried a number of times and got a few episodes in but it never really caught my attention for some reason. Everyone else seems to love it though!

I think the end of season 1 (episodes 9 and 10) is where it really starts to take off bc it shows you anything can happen. I loved the show and looked forward to every sunday relaxing and watching it before bed

Season 5 isn't that great but Season 6 makes up for it arguably being one of the 2 best seasons. Season 7 is either love or hate it seems. Watching season 8 was very disappointing and I might go as far as saying it was a waste of time. The people who watched from the very beginning in 2011 are the ones the most pissed about how the show ended bc it felt like a slap in the face after 9 years

overall I do think its one of the best shows ive ever seen. There are less than 5 shows in my life that ive made time for to watch every week and this was one of them

Last edited:
Yes, just lower your expectations for the last couple seasons.. left me wanting so much more out of it

YES. Agree with everyone else though the last couple seasons were trash

Gah, I'm gonna sound like such a prude here... and that's not the case. I started watching the first season episode 1 or 2 or 3 when it was first on HBO and turned it off when I saw a half naked woman covered in blood come across the screen. I don't know if it was a sex scene or what but, while I wasn't offended, I didn't want my 11 yo son seeing that on tv.

So I've not seen GOT. Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine seeing half naked women cross my tv screen... but I never had time to watch the series with a younger child in the house... and now that my son is 21, I'm not interested in that.

So, yes, there are people that haven't seen GOT. I'm one.

Plus I don't like George R.R. Martin. I'm not exactly sure why but I don't.

Just stop before the last season. Then, it’s worth it.

Gah, I'm gonna sound like such a prude here... and that's not the case. I started watching the first season episode 1 or 2 or 3 when it was first on HBO and turned it off when I saw a half naked woman covered in blood come across the screen. I don't know if it was a sex scene or what but, while I wasn't offended, I didn't want my 11 yo son seeing that on tv.

So I've not seen GOT. Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine seeing half naked women cross my tv screen... but I never had time to watch the series with a younger child in the house... and now that my son is 21, I'm not interested in that.

So, yes, there are people that haven't seen GOT. I'm one.

Plus I don't like George R.R. Martin. I'm not exactly sure why but I don't.
Pretty sure no one ever said to watch with kids in the room. This is definitely not a family friendly show

We binged it before the last season started. It was very entertaining, and I would definitely do the binge.

when you're "that guy" you just gotta embrace being "that guy" so i'll be "that guy:" no, go read the books instead. the books are amazing. i don't know how anyone can watch the show if they haven't read the books. there's so much going on, and so much backstory and exposition that the show cannot cover. the show is ok for what it is, but the books are special.

I agree the books are amazing I love the books. As stated above the first 5 seasons are awesome when they had the books as a guide then they weren't as strong when that guide went away.

It is super intense and a great watch though. Tons of twists and turns in the plot. I agree you should update the thread as it goes.

I will say the books are not an easy read! But I’m going through them right now for the third time. I pick up new details each time.

This is a must watch. It is really good.
@McLovin I tried to get into the books but the detail was crazy. I got bogged down. Should I try again? I have read Lord of the rings multiple times so I should be able to get through GOT.

Back