Is Gary Woodland Underappreciated?

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
With Gary Woodland leading the 2019 World Hero Challenge, all I have heard this week is about Tiger Woods rough first round, Tiger kidding around with Justin Thomas, and Patrick Reed broke the internet golf world today with his improving his lie in the waste area. But, you do not hear much about Woodland...the leader! I know he's not a mega star like Tiger, Rory, and Brooks, but I feel like he is overlooked. Even after his U.S. Open win this year, the media coverage following the event, or lack thereof, didn't propel into that upper echelon on the PGA Tour. I think Wilson/Staff and Puma really dropped the ball there! And, he was a Captain's pick into the President's Cup. I really like his style of play. Seems to be more of a "working class" kinda guy. I don't care what Bubba Watson says, Gary Woodland might be the Rodney Dangerfield of the PGA.

He just doesn't win that often. He's a good golfer and a really good athlete. There are a lot of good golfers out there though so I will say he is properly respected.

With Gary Woodland leading the 2019 World Hero Challenge, all I have heard this week is about Tiger Woods rough first round, Tiger kidding around with Justin Thomas, and Patrick Reed broke the internet golf world today with his improving his lie in the waste area. But, you do not hear much about Woodland...the leader! I know he's not a mega star like Tiger, Rory, and Brooks, but I feel like he is overlooked. Even after his U.S. Open win this year, the media coverage following the event, or lack thereof, didn't propel into that upper echelon on the PGA Tour. I think Wilson/Staff and Puma really dropped the ball there! And, he was a Captain's pick into the President's Cup. I really like his style of play. Seems to be more of a "working class" kinda guy. I don't care what Bubba Watson says, Gary Woodland might be the Rodney Dangerfield of the PGA.

Woodland has been out on Tour about 10 years and has won 4 times, which is great but not the stuff of headline, marquee player status. For most of his time on Tour he's been best known for being s super long driver of the ball. If he wins more tournaments he will get "star status".

Well, since the Hero Challenge is Tiger's tournament, no real surprise that the media gravitates towards all things Tiger. As far as Woodland is concerned, solid player and one that I believe has never really tapped into his full potential for long, consistent stretches. I would love to see him soar to the top of the OWGR but as other's have mentioned, that will take more wins and/or better finishes.

I like Woodland, his play with the special young girl in Arizona showed him to be a great guy. I suspect he is a 'regular joe' who is grateful for a good living doing something he loves and is quite happy to avoid the mega famous nonsense that others have to endure.

I think he is well respected by his peers, but perhaps viewers don't find him all that exciting to watch?

I think he is well respected by his peers, but perhaps viewers don't find him all that exciting to watch?

I followed Woodland for 9 holes during his Thursday round at Pebble Beach at this year's US Open. He does not collect a gallery, but that's true of 95% of the field.
Over the decades I've noticed that very few players actually collect spectators who follow them hole after hole. Mickelson has a noticeable gallery when he plays, I've noticed Spieth and Fowler have some followers, but no player comes anywhere close to Tiger's gallery following.

Gary seems like a great guy, really appreciate his support of the military. But he's blah....and doesn't win much.

Nice guy. Good golfer. Kind of boring. Definitely fits in the journeyman category. He’s consistent enough to always be in the hunt and make lots of cuts, but doesn’t seem to have the ability to string together 4 days of play to close.

I see him as one of those guys that will play for another 15 to 20 years, make a ton of money and yet still only have less than 10 wins.

I think it’s reflective of his popularity. Although he is a very good golfer and an extremely decent human being on and off the course, he isn’t as popular as some who have similar resumes and results on the course. If he won more or collected another major that might change.

Winning gets you noticed Or doing something note worthy. Gary did both last year. He seems like a good guy. I pull for him. His banker appreciates him a ton.

I would say yes and probably a lot of it has to do with his quiet nature on the course. I will say that I'm in love with his stinger and he hits that shot more than anyone else..

Last edited:
Not in Kansas! With local ties he gets alot of hype around the area.

I think he's under rated as a good human, but golf wise, I think he's fairly tracked. He's fairly quiet which means to be recognized you have to be special because you'll go unnoticed more so than a flashy personality and I don't think he has that special golf game. He's good, not great.

Yes, definitely both as a person and as a golfer - I’d say he meshes with both Wilson and Puma perfectly, both under appreciated brands similar to him.

I think a few more wins and Majors and he won’t be though.

I am a big fan of Woodland. Seems like on of the truely nice guys out there. But, I think as far as being a player is concerned he is the right amount of respected. He has won a few times and is now a major champion. That will get him more respect then the rest of his wins combined. He just need to show up and more big events.

I don't think he is underappreciated, but he is painfully slow to watch. He is under the radar as a slow player and needs to pick up.

Back