Is Glare a Real Problem

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have seen a lot of posts lately talking about having issues with non-matte or non-black finishes causing glare issues when playing.

As someone who bounces around in finish and clubs, I really can't remember the last time I had a problem with glare on a club. Obviously there's always that ONE shot every once in a while that sends the light orb of hell into the eyes for a minute, but I don't know that I've ever had a consistent problem with it.

Thoughts?

But no, I’ve never had a regular issue with glare.

Never had any glare.
But have you seen the mirror finish on cln prototype longneck scottys? Makes you think twice...

2 times in my last 200 rounds the light has been right on the club in my hand for a glare to bother me. 2. Need for a problem is larger than any problem, imo.

I hate it on my wedges, that's where I notice it the most. Esp when I am opening the face a bit. Off of irons and a driver crown, nah not really. The anti-chrome in me for irons is more a preference than anything else. I will say though, those SLDR irons I played back in '14, those things were crazy reflective on a clear days.

Never had any glare.
But have you seen the mirror finish on cln prototype longneck scottys? Makes you think twice...
It's funny you say that.

I got a chance to roll a good friends GSS Scotty years ago, that had a full buff finish and it terrified me with glare.

I had an old Cleveland 56 degree 588 chrome wedge. Probably circa 2002 or so. That thing was absolutely blinding on a bright day. That was the last club I can remember actually being too shiny. Have played many polished finish clubs since and none of them were that bad.

So, short answer is that it’s really a non issue to me.

I had an old Cleveland 56 degree 588 chrome wedge. Probably circa 2002 or so. That thing was absolutely blinding on a bright day. That was the last club I can remember actually being too shiny. Have played many polished finish clubs since and none of them were that bad.

So, short answer is that it’s really a non issue to me.
haha, I should have said "within the last decade" in the first post!

It definitely doesn't happen often but it has happened on my chrome MD wedge when I open the face. One time it was so bad I couldn't see the clubface and it was like looking at another sun :LOL: But like you said, it's not a consistent issue at all. Though I do truly prefer a darker finish on my wedges regardless of the glare. I just think it looks better. The Tour Grey on the MD5 is the perfect wedge finish to me.

I have played some pretty damn shiny clubs and don't recall a single time I ever felt like the glare bothered me. Then again, I do live in the PNW. hahaha

Nope, not an issue for me

I would say glare off lakes has given me more issues than glare on a club.

I've never had an issue with glare while golfing except when looking for a golf ball nd the sun is low and into your eyes. Light bounces off the ball making it hard to find.

I wear sunglasses when it's sunny. No problems here. That said if someone can blame glare on a golf club for poor performance they are probably too finnicky to wear sunglasses on the course.

I've never had an issue with glare while golfing except when looking for a golf ball nd the sun is low and into your eyes. Light bounces off the ball making it hard to find.
It is a fine art keeping the sun on the opposite side of where you're looking for a ball so you can actually see what you're looking at :)

I agree with a lot of the comments here I have had shiny chrome, black & matte (satin) finish clubs and I absolutely never have had a problem with glare nor I’ve ever even noticed it. I think it’s strictly overreaction and just an angle to sell a club.

I have seen a lot of posts lately talking about having issues with non-matte or non-black finishes causing glare issues when playing.

As someone who bounces around in finish and clubs, I really can't remember the last time I had a problem with glare on a club. Obviously there's always that ONE shot every once in a while that sends the light orb of hell into the eyes for a minute, but I don't know that I've ever had a consistent problem with it.

Thoughts?

A glossy finish in the top of my woods can be distracting for me if I see a glare or reflection of the sun on it when standing over the ball.

I generally wear sunglasses while playing so it’s not like it hurts my eyes, but can make me momentarily distracted. Why risk it? Matte finishes take it out of play all together and I like the Batman look ....

I like to work in grey and dark grey

Don't even notice

I’ve had way more issues with glare in the car from my wife using her cell phone in the passenger seat while I drive than from my golf clubs. :LOL:

I don't have any issues with glare. Although, I do wear my glasses and they have transition lenses, so that helps reduce it if there is any.

No issues that I can recall. But like @Bryndom I prefer matte black or grey on woods and a satin finish on irons/wedges. I’ve even opened my mind to non-typical finishes on wedges like matte black or even the copper finish found on some models.

I think the only time I can remember commenting about glare was with a buddies Mizuno M Craft 3 silver putter. I don't think I could game that finish because of it. Outside of that I can't think of any other issues with it.

It really surprises me when people mention chrome finishes on irons glaring too much. I don't think I've ever experienced that.

A few times this year I’ve had issues with my wedges. Not a ton and not during a competitive round but definitely something I’ve dealt with.

Wedges and putters is where it gets me and has been a big issue for me with several clubs in the past. The most recent of each were the Tour Edge CBx wedges and Indi Allison satin chrome putter.

Back