• Only if you walk the course

Votes: 39 36.8%

• Total voters

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
As the title states do you consider golf to be exercise? Why or why not?

Yes, just maybe low intensity if you aren't walking the course

Anything that gets you moving is exercise. There's a scale, though, as to the degree. Walking? Absolutely. Hilly course? Even more so.

Even when I ride, I'll often choose the steeper hill to climb to and from the green. I'll also walk fairly briskly to get the heart rate up. Nothing sustained of course. For a well conditioned person (heck, myself less than 2 yrs ago!), labelling what I do as exercise is a stretch. ?

I don't consider playing golf whilst riding a form of exercise personally, and I will walk as much as my body allows me to before I even consider riding

Personally, not really. Walking is a little, but I still try to include more intense forms, even on days I golf.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very little when not walking.

Yes. Making an athletic move when swinging the club

Yes. Making an athletic move when swinging the club

This - and you'll be surprised the amount of energy expended via a round of golf, even if you ride. That said, I'd still hit the gym on a day I rode, I'm not as sure on a day I walk 18.

Of course, it's exercise. Pulling a cart for 5+ miles up and down hills, definitely. Even riding, you make of it what you will. You can walk or jog to your next shot,if you choose. Just swinging the club technically could be considered exercise, if only a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yes, especially if your walking. You can use your course yardage to figure out how much walking you will do. I think you would be surprised how far you actually walk in 18 holes. Also, try playing 18 holes 3 days straight. Your muscles hurt and your back is achy. It's not crossfit but it's definitely exercise

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This - and you'll be surprised the amount of energy expended via a round of golf, even if you ride. That said, I'd still hit the gym on a day I rode, I'm not as sure on a day I walk 18.

Same here. I've done a walking 18 then a leg workout a few hours later and that was rough. It's easier after a riding round but there is definitely a feeling of fatigue during the workout

Sure, according to many calorie counting apps you burn around 1200 calories walking 18. IMO, anything that burns extra calories is exercise.

Yes. I don't believe it's particularly good exercise, walking or riding. It doesn't matter what I think.

Yes, especially when walking. My heart definitely elevates compared to sitting in front of the tv/computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carting it while golfing = an activity. A walking round = exercise. In an overall fitness program walking while golfing will need to supplemented with other forms of excercise.

If you are walking.

Yes, more so if you walk the course and less if you ride. But, it's sure exercise for the brain mentally :beat-up:

At 61 years old with Achilles tendonitis, hip and back issues, 18 holes of Pennsylvania (rolling hills) golf with a cart is a workout.:clapp:

I voted yes, but agree you'll get more of a workout if you're walking vs. riding. I know sometimes that's not a possibility due to course conditions, course policy, your own health, etc. but I much prefer to walk and get the workout in.

I voted yes. When you walk you are obviously getting more of a work out but just swinging the club I would think counts.

For me it sure is. I'm a hitter and I feel sore as can be the day after a round. And I'm 29. Actually concerned about my hitter tendencies going into my 30s and 40s

I voted no, but on second thought I think it is. Walking obviously is more exercise, but I never walk and when I remember to keep my phone in my pocket it tracks my steps. When playing a round of golf I typically have more steps during that round than I would on a normal day without exericse, so yes it is exercise, just very low intensity.

Yes, because my doctor says so, even if in a cart.

~Rock

My doctor considers it exercise but my insurance doesn't consider golf clubs exercise equipment, that's the real problem in this world.

I walk and keep a pretty good pace and let's me honest, most of us on here play Army golf (hit it left, hit it right) so that's a fair amount of moving around either pushing/pulling a bag of clubs, say (30-45# with a cart) carrying a bag of clubs (15-20#) up and down hills on iffy terrain while smoking a cigar and drinking a beer. That, my friends is exercise.

I voted 'Yes' without the stipulation of walking. I do believe it's more exercise when we walk but that's not a determining factor in making our sport 'exercise', IMO.

Unfortunately for me, there aren't too many courses here in San Antonio that one can walk. However, I do play in a regular Saturday morning gaggle that plays on Randolph AFB and I walk that course over 90% of the time.

Back