Is Golf Physical?

If it isn't physical I wouldn't get sore after I played or practiced. Look at some of the events in the olympics, its not all running, jumping and swimming.

Official definition of a sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

​Sounds like a sport to me.

Anyone can play golf, BUT to play golf really well takes a lot of athleticism.

In my next life I want to come back as a left-handed reliever - pitch to one batter every 2-3 days and sit the rest of the time!

I agree with Blugold. Competition = Sport in my eyes. People who don't think golf is a sport haven't played it, for the most part.

I would say yes its physical, but on a level slightly lower than say MMA

While looking at bags at the store there was a sign saying you burn ~1400 calories by walking/carrying for 18 holes.

I get in these same arguments with a previous roommate all the time. He played tennis, I played baseball. He doesn't even think baseball is a sport, so of course he doesn't think golf is. I've tried everything but there is no reasoning with this guy!

Sorry guys, I beg to differ.. If you do not exert any type of energy, it isn't a sport. It is the same mentality that says playing a video game is a sport. This is a PERFECT example why our country is becoming obese. They have lost touch with reality of what exercise is!

;-)

Growing up, the term 'physical' always meant a contact sport such as football, basketball, soccer, hockey, etc.

But following that logic, tennis, golf, track, swimming, gymnastics would not be 'physical'.

Rory McIlroy looks like an athlete. Jason Dufner does not. But golf uses different skills and strengths that require coordination, flexibility, and strength. Golf does allow people of different shapes and sizes to compete on an equal footing, which makes it a sport.

i know it is the next day when I am sore in certain areas....

Well it doesn't involve running or hitting people. How did this kid get into College? Who compares golf to bball and football? That's like comparing a turd to a gold brick.

It's even more valuable than a gold brick if you have been constipated for a while.

I certainly think its physical. At least in a enduring way. Your body certainly can get fatigued from start to finish (espec when taking 95 hacks lol). Hey for that matter, if what your friend believes is true then hitting baseball in an (at ba)t would not be considered sporty ither. In a sense, you stand with a bat and swing it much the same.
wehter or not someone cisiders it a sport, to me doesnt matter cause we all know its one of the hardest things in the world to be good at let alone be great. The amount of people throuout the world that golf I'm sure is enormously staggering vs the very few who are considered the best. That ratio must be by far, not even close vs any other sport.

Sorry guys, I beg to differ.. If you do not exert any type of energy, it isn't a sport. It is the same mentality that says playing a video game is a sport. This is a PERFECT example why our country is becoming obese. They have lost touch with reality of what exercise is!

;-)

As long as the activity stretches physical or mental capabilities and is competitive, then it's a sport in my book.

What makes a sport different from a game? That's the one that's reduced me to a stammering frustrated husk of a man.

As far as physicality, played WELL golf demands a specific set of physical abilities to play well. Do you need to be able to sprint? No. Do you need core strength, flexability, strong legs? Yup. Is it a sport? For the people who get paid, yes. For the vast majority, it's a game. There's an awful lot of backs and knees out there that support the idea that quality golf places demands on the body.

Semantics. I hate semantics. If you have people playing it for money and it's a combination of physicality and skill, call it a sport.

;-)

So school is a sport? You exert a crap ton of mental energy.

I would think your roommates point of a real sport needing high levels of skill would put golf above any other sport. On the physical aspect my back would beg to differ.

Is the designated hitter an athlete?

If yes, then golf is a sport. If no, then baseball is not a sport.

I also don't think golf is a sport. In my opinion it can't be called a sport when extremely out of shape or even fat guys can be among the very best in the world.

I think for something to be a sport you habe to get into shape BY doing it and do additional work in order to get really good. Nobody I know picks up golf to get or stay in shape.

I also think the type of competition plays a role. In a sport you play against an oponent whereas in golf you play against the golf course. There is no way to force your oponent to make a mistake. In Basketball your shot can be unguardable, you can shut your oponent down defensively. In (real) football you can defend hard in tennis you can play tactical shots like a drop shot or serve with kick. In golf you can only put mental pressure by playing a good shot. You can't however hinder someone from hitting a good shot themselves.

I am having a hard time explaining what I mean. I guess my problem is that you cannot make the game of golf any harder for your oponent who might even have finished his round whereas in every sport I know you can. Am I making any sense here?

I also don't think golf is a sport. In my opinion it can't be called a sport when extremely out of shape or even fat guys can be among the very best in the world.

I think for something to be a sport you habe to get into shape BY doing it and do additional work in order to get really good. Nobody I know picks up golf to get or stay in shape.

I also think the type of competition plays a role. In a sport you play against an oponent whereas in golf you play against the golf course. There is no way to force your oponent to make a mistake. In Basketball your shot can be unguardable, you can shut your oponent down defensively. In (real) football you can defend hard in tennis you can play tactical shots like a drop shot or serve with kick. In golf you can only put mental pressure by playing a good shot. You can't however hinder someone from hitting a good shot themselves.

I am having a hard time explaining what I mean. I guess my problem is that you cannot make the game of golf any harder for your oponent who might even have finished his round whereas in every sport I know you can. Am I making any sense here?

So baseball isn't a sport in your mind?

Golf is definitely a sport it's in the next Olympics for heavens sake. It takes a lot of skill, hand/eye coordination, focus and mental strength. Try walking a hilly course and tell me you don't have to be athletic to play golf

Yes but in golf you aren't playing against someone, but something. The course is the competitor. However when you are playing against someone you can drop a big putt for birdie and put pressure on them, hence making it harder for them.

Is archery a sport? Is badminton a sport? Is table tennis a sport? Is diving a sport?

Of course it is physical. take my example, i played gaelic football (big sport in ireland) but had to quit at 19 with bad knees, made a few comebacks but never could get the knees right. so at 22 i was sick of sitting in the house bored so took up what i thought was a easy non physical sport, golf. I got addicted to the game, joined my local club. now at 24, i swing the club with a high clubhead speed and after a round of golf my knee is as sore as if i had played a football match. being ligament damage it was never going to help. but if you want to play to a certain standard you need to be athletic and physical. even if it is only the weekly competition at your local course.

Yes but in golf you aren't playing against someone, but something. The course is the competitor. However when you are playing against someone you can drop a big putt for birdie and put pressure on them, hence making it harder for them.

Is archery a sport? Is badminton a sport? Is table tennis a sport? Is diving a sport? Is cheerleading a sport?

FIFY. You forgot cheerleading.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

FIFY. You forgot cheerleading.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Cheerleading is a sport for sure. They give athletic scholarships for it...oh wait.

Back