Is Having A Driver/SW Mission Critical

jp58

Reaction score
Handicap
Backstory: I'm a high handicap player that's getting back into golfing. I've currently got a no name set of sporting good store woods and irons that are half as old as I I'm (10-15 years old). I had been planning on getting upgraded clubs because the Adams Blue line was on clearance. Apparently UPS and a retailer had other plans, so no new clubs as those have been returned to the sender. That leaves me back to square one. The set I've got runs 3w-Pw. I've also got an older MacGregor putter that I'm pretty solid with and emotionally attached to.

Do I need to pick up a driver and sand wedge to continue my progress, or would I be much better off to continue learning with what I've got and just buy one of each when it comes time to upgrade clubs? I know I can get each a few seasons old for pretty cheap.

FWIW, I typically "borrow" a sand wedge from a member of my foursome (I know all of the people I've been regularly golfing with) unless I'm by myself. Then it's PW out of the sand. I've just been hitting the 3W off the tee.

Take this with a grain of sand as I have only been playing/studying for about two years now...

I hit my 3 wood off the tee *almost* as far as I hit my driver. A driver could be helpful, but its also the hardest to control. A shorter drive left in the fairway will almost always make for an easier hole than a longer drive from the rough/trouble spot

I find I am doing alot of greenside chipping and short chip/pitch shots as I work on developing my longer approach shots. So for my game, it is important for me to have a good arsenal of wedges for various lies, distances etc.

Evaluate where you spend most of your time and upgrade those clubs you use more often first.

That being said, its an awesome feeling to nail a good drive and watch the ball go sailing down the fairway nice and loooong!

I have a couple older sand wedges (Vokey 54/58*) that have started to wear on the sole that are just sitting in my house. If you want them they are yours for the cost of shipping (would guess about $12). PM me if you are interested.

As to your question, I have been playing for a while but my swing sucks. I find that hitting 3W or even 5W off the tee usually costs me a few yards distance wise, but keeps me in the fairway. I don't think a Driver is crucial and realistically you will probably be a better player in the long run learning to hit a PW for all the different shots you are talking about. As you improve you can add these other clubs, but in the beginning they are not must haves. just my $0.02.

As you know, it is handy at times to have a club with more loft than a pitching wedge. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll come up with one soon enough. As for a driver...I don't carry one and haven't for quite some time. What with dog legs and other obstacles I found I was only using the driver 4 or 5 times per round...so I took out the driver and added a 58 degree wedge. I now tee off on par 4's and 5's with a 3 wood, 5 wood, hybrid, or 4 iron. Long story short: in my experience, a lofty wedge is much more useful than a driver.

Don't deprive yourself of the opportunity to have a driver and wedges. Nike is out and the rest of the retailers are falling down, I'm sure you can find reasonable offers if you keep your eyes peeled long enough.

My advice would be to play what u are comfortable with and what makes the game easiest. That is how I've approached setting up my bag this year. Really haven't kept a 3 wood in t until recently and took out other clubs that were too much for me at the time.
I would recommend having a higher lofted wedge for sand shots just because it definetly serves a purpose. As for the driver, I think a 3 wood is fine. I would say that it might be worth having a driver for when u go to the range to get some practice in. You don't have to actually play the driver until u get comfortable. That is what I did with hybrids/fairway woods and now that is something I like hitting during rounds.
Keep the game fun by playing clubs you like and hit well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wedges you can always make an argument for. Whether it loft or bounce, I regular PW does not provide all the options one needs around the green.

Relative to driver, I'd look at the distance and FIRs you get with your current club off a tee that you would take driver on. If that % is high and the distance is good, a driver would be a good upgrade. If the FIR is low, you'll do well to work on that club to raise the FIR and then get a driver.

Take this with a grain of sand as I have only been playing/studying for about two years now...

I hit my 3 wood off the tee *almost* as far as I hit my driver. A driver could be helpful, but its also the hardest to control. A shorter drive left in the fairway will almost always make for an easier hole than a longer drive from the rough/trouble spot

I find I am doing alot of greenside chipping and short chip/pitch shots as I work on developing my longer approach shots. So for my game, it is important for me to have a good arsenal of wedges for various lies, distances etc.

Evaluate where you spend most of your time and upgrade those clubs you use more often first.

That being said, its an awesome feeling to nail a good drive and watch the ball go sailing down the fairway nice and loooong!
I disagree with this. Today's drivers are very forgiving, and if you loft up like most should (12° drivers are not just for women), they can go a lot farther than a three wood. Also make sure you get the right shaft in it. It's all about launch angle, and so many people don't get it.

I didn't buy a driver until I felt like I would get an advantage of playing one... I played from 36 to sub 20 in HCP without one. Then I bought one.
Played my 3w, and was pretty accurate with that, so I had no problem not gaming a driver :act-up: (actually still use my 3w more often than driver on my home course, it's short and narrow, so no point in gaining 40-50 yards on an average hit)

Though I think a SW would be pretty good to have.

I wouldn't skip a driver or wedges. The longer you wait before using them, the longer it'll be before you get good with them.

Also maybe I'm an anomoly, but my driver is safer off the tee than my 4W. If it's a truly tight hole where you can't miss the fairway, I hit 4i. I occasionally top my 4W, which I haven't done with a driver in at least a year, and my 4W can be just as far offline as my driver if I make a bad swing so I only ever use it as a second shot on par fives.

Lot of different takes. Pro's and con's for having or not having a driver. Back in the day when I was still teaching, if I had a beginner student or someone who was a higher handicap player. It wasn't uncommon for me to tell them, it's ok to not pull your driver on a hole. Especially if there is a side of the course you want to stay away from (left or right). There's a lot to be said about playing to a distance/club you know you hit well. So, you don't NEED a driver right now. The lower the loft gets on your clubs the harder they are to hit, this is no secret. If you want to get a driver, that's fine, too. As a few have already mentioned, lofting up on a driver is a great way to start, if you want to get one. As for a sand wedge, ya it's time to get one for yourself and that's good tool to have in your bag anyway.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I had ordered the new clubs, and after they ended up being sent back prior to getting to me, I was questioning if it was even a good idea to get new clubs yet. I've got a hand me down driver that I've been borrowing from my grandfather that I can game for for the time being, but it's older than the putter and the size of my 5w. It's been especially temperamental, so I've gotten to the point I don't play it at all. I felt like I was probably missing more with the wedge game since that's what I've been most comfortable hitting. I just wanted to run it by some fellow golfers before making a call.

I would check out Callaway pre owned, THP marketplace, the deal of the day thread and Rock Bottom Golf and replace everything for a reasonable cost.

But a wedge for sure and you may as well get a driver and 3 wood on sale. Technology has moved on so far in that period that it'll really make it easier for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know your skill level or handicap. But at this stage you probably don't need either to get your swing in shape enough to be an 18- to low-20s handicapper.

But if you plan to get down to the low teens or even single-digits, both of those clubs are essential.

I wouldn't skip a driver or wedges. The longer you wait before using them, the longer it'll be before you get good with them./QUOTE]I agree with this. No sense limiting yourself. As far as I'm concerned the driver, sand wedge & putter are the 3 most important clubs in the bag. Learn to love them

I have a set of wedges coming thanks to a very generous THPer. I'll probably wait until the end of my 8 week course to purchase anything on my own. That way I'll have a fairly consistent or repeatable swing before I make a major purchase. Thanks everyone for the advice. You guys are awesome.

I don't know your skill level or handicap. But at this stage you probably don't need either to get your swing in shape enough to be an 18- to low-20s handicapper.

But if you plan to get down to the low teens or even single-digits, both of those clubs are essential.

My skill level is fairly low. I've really only been playing with any consistency this summer. My handicap is 36, but I play just under double par for the most part. I putt pretty well, but getting to the green is rough. A golf friend said that I have a very over the top swing that I need to get fixed asap.

Back