Is it the time it takes for a whole round or waiting to hit that bothers you?

ShootzGolf

Reaction score
Handicap
People here and elsewhere talk about 3 hour rounds or 5 hour rounds. I've had 4:15 rounds that felt like we were going along great. A few waits. I've had 3.5 hour rounds that felt the same. For me I don't care how long it takes to play a round. I get frustrated by waiting behind slow players or groups. I've heard people talk about wanting every round 3 hours or less. I don't care about speed golf. I'm out there to enjoy myself and don't keep track of the time. What are your thoughts?

Both to a degree but by far the biggest issue for me is the time waiting to hit a shot when there shouldn't be a delay. You stand around just watching egregious slow play practices happening over and over again in the group ahead. Frosts my wick all the more when you can clearly see open holes ahead of them. The cummulative time it takes to play a course is much less of an issue.

rubber banding kills me. sure 6 hour rounds suck, but if its a constant pace, I'm ok with it. I hate playing 5 holes clear, then wait on the next 3, then clear for 3 more, then wait for the next 4, and so on...

I agree with the 2 posts so far. I've never played a round where I had to be finished at a certain time either. I've had things to do but I give it 6 hours for the Golf.

4-hour rounds only feel OK when I'm playing in a fivesome. The main reason I'm a member at a private club and play early in the mornings is so I don't have to often play 4-hour rounds. Most of my rounds are 3:30 or less and many are right around 3 hours walking. It's pretty simple for me - if golf was mostly 4-4:20 hour rounds I would cut my number of rounds played by 50% and do something else. The main reason I don't play in tournaments club or otherwise is the length of the rounds. I did have a dozen or more 4.5 hour rounds last summer, for 27 holes. :)

Over the years my willingness to play even in company-sponsored scramble events decreased to where my last few years before retirement I skipped all of them except one. I'd go play 36 or 45 holes that day at my home club while my boss and other co-workers that enjoyed that type of golf played in the scramble, lol.

Good question. It is the waiting to hit that really gets in my head. If I am moving shot to shot I can keep a rhythm. When everyone is waiting is when tempers flare.

Both drive me insane. Waiting to hit screws up my game with aggravation, time of the round just makes it harder to find time on a tight schedule. If I had to choose it’s waiting to hit.

It can be both for me. One of the reasons that I won't play on a weekend is the slow play.

It's the waiting. No question. I lose my rhythm, or at least I tell myself I do. When you are forced to wait you tend to watch the group in front of you, and you nit pick. It may not even be their fault, but you find yourself finding fault in everything they do in your line of sight. E.g. "Why the hell is that guy walking towards us!?" "Seriously, dude, get the F off the green!"

4-hour rounds only feel OK when I'm playing in a fivesome. The main reason I'm a member at a private club and play early in the mornings is so I don't have to often play 4-hour rounds. Most of my rounds are 3:30 or less and many are right around 3 hours walking. It's pretty simple for me - if golf was mostly 4-4:20 hour rounds I would cut my number of rounds played by 50% and do something else. The main reason I don't play in tournaments club or otherwise is the length of the rounds. I did have a dozen or more 4.5 hour rounds last summer, for 27 holes. :)

Over the years my willingness to play even in company-sponsored scramble events decreased to where my last few years before retirement I skipped all of them except one. I'd go play 36 or 45 holes that day at my home club while my boss and other co-workers that enjoyed that type of golf played in the scramble, lol.

This begs the question why is the time it takes so important to you? Is speed golf your thing? A 4 hour round is okay for me and I rarely even take note of how long my round took. I'm not a slow player and get impatient when backed up.

To me it's not the time, although keeping it under 5 hours is preferred, it's the slow play. I like to keep it moving at a good pace.

It only bothers me when I'm waiting for someone to move out of the way before I hit.

I dislike both

yes.

yesterday, I was behind a couple that took practice swings for 5 minutes before even getting into the tee box....which didn't bother because I was still unassing myself...I figured i'd be hearing some tee shots before I got done...NOPE. they then took 5-6 practice swings, each, while they were in the tee box and on their balls...then proceeded to double check to make sure they had all their gear and zip up pockets before leisurely strolling up the fairway :rolleyes:

Waiting takes you out of your game and if the group in front is really slow it adds frustration. I like being outside and on the course so no issue with 4 hours or more unless it is 110 out lol.

Great question. I will watching this thread.

I believe I am in the minority, in as much as I don't let other's actions on the golf course dictate to me how I play the game. Long waits to hit, or long rounds are not a problem for me. I have a great preshot routine, and if need be watch a comedy show on my cell.

I suppose a 6.5 hour round might make me take notice of how long I have been on the course.

I do know golfers who get frustrated with long waits, and the longer rounds those longer tee box waits produce. They get mad, and their game suffers horrendously. Then they blame their poor score on the other guys actions.

I'm ok with either... it's time I'm not at work.:ROFLMAO:

It's going to be those idiots out there that have the stand up putter. They will be reading the putt from all angles, then spend 2 or 3 minutes lining up their stand up putter.
Then they'll pick up the putter and take a couple of practice swings and then miss the putt by a foot and then go through the process all over again.

This begs the question why is the time it takes so important to you? Is speed golf your thing? A 4 hour round is okay for me and I rarely even take note of how long my round took. I'm not a slow player and get impatient when backed up.

To answer your question, speed golf is my thing and I do it as often as I can. When I was in California that meant rounds under 2 hours as a single or twosome in a cart at least once a week during the season. I could go out as a single after work and dinner with the family 90 minutes before dark and get 18 holes in when many of my neighbors/golf buddies would just not play that day.

I'm also wired that way. I walk fast, drive fast, and in general hate inefficiency whether it's waiting in line at the post office, grocery store, or slow people at the airport that can't figure out how to think about getting their I.D. ready until the moment the TSA agent needs it. I avoid going to the store or anywhere else when it's busy. My daughter would tell you that I don't like malls, airports, or anywhere where there are lots of people. Maybe I got this way by growing up in a rural area of Wisconsin where the last couple of miles to my house were on gravel roads, lol.

My routine for golf has always been fast as I always preferred to get in 27 holes rather than 18. I grew up playing in the late '70's and early '80's when the average round was much faster(like it still is in the UK) so it's what I'm used to. Most of the slow play comes from golfers taking to long on their pre-shot routines or just not being ready when it's their turn. Luckily most of my buddies don't take a bunch of practice swings, play ready golf, and don't take 60 plus seconds to putt once it's their turn so 4-hour rounds are super uncommon. The way I look at it is playing golf efficiently allows me to get in another 30 rounds a year in the same amount of time and 100 rounds is better than 70 rounds. :)

Last edited:
Lots of things seem to bother people. Smile more often and just enjoy being alive and outside.

It's the waiting. I lose whatever rhythm I have developed during the round.

Total time. I would rather not wait, but the issue with slow play for me is total time. I have limited time windows to play. 5 hour rounds are much harder to fit in than 4 hour rounds. 3 hour rounds would be dreamy.

Back