Is it time for Phil to be exclusively on Champions Tour?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Outside of majors he has lifetime exemptions for (hello Masters), do you think Phil should stay on the Champions tour or continue to pick and choose?

He has done amazing things with his health and fitness, and still can hit bombs. He won a major recently and is showing up others. I like him on the tour but am curious - should he go dominate Champions tour instead

I think he should consider it, but still play all majors on the big Tour.

Really, I just want him to move to the booth. He’s really amazing there.

Really awesome there

I would say for now he should play wherever he wants he has earned the right. Phil has proven he can still find the magic on any given week and be competitive.

I do agree I would love to see him in the booth more but it will be a while before that happens.

Most likely but I’d of lied if I’d say he couldn’t catch magic in a bottle at a meaningful event to him on the regular tour. He’ll play as many Tour and Champions Tour majors as he can get which is a great way to ride off into the sunset. But he should clean up on the champions tour as it would be great for him to sling it out there and play with some of the older guys he once played with.

As long as he can compete with the younger guys I say let him pick and choose. He’s earned that.

The less TV the better for this dude

I think he should do what appeals to him. He can still hang with the young guys so why not. His performance at Kiawah was impressive.

I like him on the PGA Tour. I expect to see him increasing the frequency of his Champion Tour appearances though. I think it’ll be a slow transition. He can catch fire here and there so I think the thrill is still there for him.

I’m not sure if he’s having a slow start or the tougher courses are just catching up to him. If he continues this trend of being in the bottom 10% in PGA events then I think it’s time to seriously consider going full-time to the champions tour with exception of majors just because he seems to turn it on for those. The frustration is really starting to show in his face.

I was starting to think so until he just won another major, then I thought otherwise.

I agree with this 100%. I could see him favoring the booth instead of the champions tour…not that he couldn’t do both. It would be really good for the game too.

I agree with this 100%. I could see him favoring the booth instead of the champions tour…not that he couldn’t do both. It would be really good for the game too.
He could do for that Tour what Arnie did for it.

I don’t mind that he plays mostly on the PGA tour.
I just look at him as a way better version of Martin Trainer, misses most cuts but occasionally gets in contention.

He could do for that Tour what Arnie did for it.
That’s such an apt comparison. I hate I didn’t think of it; completely right. I hope Phil sees it in this light

When you are one of the best ever, and defending PGA Champ, All you care about is beating the best. Phil will slide to the Champions Tour after a couple years of not competing well on PGA Tour. That may be in two years or it may be in 10.

Play all the majors and split time between the two. I’d love to see him win at Augusta one more time before he done for sure. Nobody loves playing and talking about golf more than Phil. I hope he does whatever he wants for as long as he wants. As long as his passion is there he will be enjoyable to watch or listen to.

Phil is fun to watch no matter where he’s playing. I’d like to see him continue to mix it up between the PGA and Champions tours for a couple more years. Whatever he does, I’d definitely like to see him in the booth more - he’d be a great addition there.

Back