Is Luke List overrated?

JTnumbers

College Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 0.2
I saw some people talking about this in the main thread, but I'll make it a sub topic to debate.

A little background info on him:
-Longest player on any Tour last year (Averaged 326).
-Says he can hit it 340 easy (what his coach told me).
-Runner Up in the 2004 US Am to Ryan Moore.
-Finished T33 in the 2005 Masters.
-Won the South Georgia Classic on last year's Web.com Tour
-Finished Runner Up in the next week's Stadion Classic

Personally, I've seen him hit balls in person and he is the real deal. His ball striking is crazy. It also helps that he's crazy long. His short game is his weakness. His putting has always been hit or miss. I think he could do great things this year. But I'll let this thread serve as a debate thread in a way.

Not sure I would call him over-rated. All he is really known for is hitting it long, never really hear talk about him being a contender leading into a tournament or anything.

Now, if they talked about him every week leading up to tournaments because people expect him to win, then he doesn't, that's over-rated.

It's hard to call someone overrated when I'm guessing the majority of pretty avid fans don't know who they are. With that said, I wish I had his long ball.

Expectations that high? I haven't heard any great predictions for him.

From what I've read (take that for what it is) he is a natural talent with too much of a laid back attitude to work hard enough to be truly great.

Expectations that high? I haven't heard any great predictions for him.

From what I've read (take that for what it is) he is a natural talent with too much of a laid back attitude to work hard enough to be truly great.

You would be correct with that judgement. Great guy, but it seems like he takes nothing seriously. Which is both good and bad.

I think of all of the Web.com Graduates, He and Wittenberg had the most expectations heading into this year. At least, from what I saw.

Sir double LL is a cool character. You don't have to be a Grider to make it on tour. His laid back approach means he has his life balanced. His skills will shine through once he gets used to playing the PGA tour.

Overrated and on the PGA tour?? I think not

It's hard to call someone overrated when I'm guessing the majority of pretty avid fans don't know who they are. With that said, I wish I had his long ball.

Exactly what I was going to post, well said

I know his name after following callaway a bit, but don't not too much about him, so I'd say no, he has to be known and high expectations, I don't think he has them.

You would be correct with that judgement. Great guy, but it seems like he takes nothing seriously. Which is both good and bad.

I think of all of the Web.com Graduates, He and Wittenberg had the most expectations heading into this year. At least, from what I saw.

I'd put Guthrie in the class of web.com grads who had pretty high expectations coming into the year.

as for List, alarm bells always go off in my head when I hear the phrase "short game is his weakness". I wouldn't call him overrated, but I might consider using the word limited. You can only go so far with an average short game. That's something DJ had to learn and has become a more consistant contender since he started to really work and take pride in his short game

Eh, the way Callaway hypes him up it makes him out to be overrated. It seems like they're always talking about how far he hits it. I don't care how far he hits it, just tell me when he wins. Then market his distance as a winning strategy.

Considering he isn't a household name I'm going to say no he is not overrater.

Outside of THP, I'd never heard of him before this week. Oh, I'd doubtless seen him at some point in the last year or two, but nothing that made a big enough impact to register. Even now, he's the long ball guy. Until he starts hitting it 250 off the tee, not overrated.

To me it is hard to call someone overrated with 1-2 starts on their resume.
As for the laid back attitude, it goes both ways. On one hand someone can say pressure does not get to them, and on the other someone can say they dont care enough. Fred Couples seemed to do okay with that attitude.

He plays a role in the marketing strategy for Callaway. Harry spoke of it in his latest THP radio broadcast. Does that make him over rated... Not in my book. I find his attitude and approach refreshing compared to a lot of the American golfers on tour. He makes himself available and approachable at this point in his career.

His overrated-ness starts with Callaway, who is simply trying to market him. But the combination of him now being in the spotlight and having only one quality professional win (and no amateur wins) results in his being hyped up. What makes it worse is the media picking up on him, but all they can say is he's long...which it totally irrelevant until he wins.

Luke who?

LOL!

This alone should tell you whether Luke is overrated, or not.

Seriously though, until this week 90% of golf fans had either never heard of Luke, or had spent less than five seconds thinking about him. Kind of difficult for (that) to be overrated.

He made an albatross yesterday. Don't think he's overrated.

IMO it is too early to come to a conclusion. The hype has been built, now it is just a matter of if he delivers or not.

Do I think he will? No. I watched him at the Ohio State course in a Web.com event last year and saw nothing that made me think "This dude is going to be great". He looked like any other golfer out there, only he putter worse and hit his driver longer. That's a very small sample size though, so take it FWIW.

good article in one of the magazines. as for laid back...

Fred Couples seemed to do okay with that attitude.

I don't think Fred Couples ever did a magazine interview with what looked like bikini clad high school girls fussing over him on the beach. If they are marketing to the 25 & younger crowd. good move. I chose him this week for his distance, not for his percieved maturity.

Happily Tapping

His overrated-ness starts with Callaway, who is simply trying to market him. But the combination of him now being in the spotlight and having only one quality professional win (and no amateur wins) results in his being hyped up. What makes it worse is the media picking up on him, but all they can say is he's long...which it totally irrelevant until he wins.

Well said.

Overrated is in the eye of the beholder. Some would say List is overrated, others would not. It depends on what you expect of him? What do I expect? For him to hit it REALLY far and be a PGA tour rookie. To me, not overrated.

Chipped via Tapatalk, never chutted.

heck yes, was number 1 by default

Laid-back or not, I wouldn't consider him overrated. Personally not really sure I call him any sort of rated. Hes made what 2 starts on the Big Go? Hes rookie, somewhat of a ok Amatuer career, hits it a mile, has a shaky short game but has some marketing power behind him from Callaway....lets see how he pans out this year before we call bust or HOF..

Back