Is now the time to travel domestically? Or are you worried about COVID-19?

I actually had international plans with my wife, sister and her spouse to Paris March 22-April 1 and had to cancel. Main reason was my sister is currently sick (not with Covid-19) but the airline was asking about being sick within 2 weeks of travel. Then brother-in-laws company stated if he traveled outside his company's zone (intermountain west) for whatever reason, when he got back he would have a mandatory 2 week "personal quarantine" that would be have to be PTO and use his personal hours. So he couldn't take 10 days for a vacation then take a mandatory 2 week vacation after returning! Talk about over react. So we just canceled......:rolleyes:

WTF - I can't see that being legit, what does he do for a living?

Wouldn't just go with your wife?

Big thing is not spreading it so it doesn't cause problems for others IMO. Also a 2 week break for the entire US would basically stop it cold but we have a stubborn headstrong population that will cause it to persist. If everyone got the flu shot the flu would go away, but only 40% of us do so it persists.

Dom. travel schedule for the next 5 weeks... Time in Detroit, CHI and Dallas airports. Our company likely to be banning travel soon

If I get it I get it. I’m not altering my life because a few thousand worldwide get sick. If I get it and the monkeys take over like planet of the apes then so be it.

Flying to Atlanta from the west coast end of April. Was hoping for a quiet flight, but after speaking earlier with one of the station managers, load factors are still pretty good. Things could drastically change in the next 6 weeks or so though. Wouldn’t mind a 738 to myself.

Big thing is not spreading it so it doesn't cause problems for others IMO. Also a 2 week break for the entire US would basically stop it cold but we have a stubborn headstrong population that will cause it to persist. If everyone got the flu shot the flu would go away, but only 40% of us do so it persists.

The flu vaccine is only somewhat effective as they are guessing which strain of flu will show up each year. Age and health play a large role as well. For the last two flu season, the CDC estimated 79,400('17-'18) deaths and about 48,000 deaths last year.

From an article in Pharmacy Times:

The CDC uses a mathematical model to measure the disease burden of flu on affected patients. Analyses of flu illnesses, medical visits, hospitalizations, and deaths are typically used to create season-specific data on burden of disease, vaccine coverage, and VE. During the 2017-2018 flu season, for example, the vaccine was 38% effective.4 That season was severe among all age groups in the United States and led to an estimated 48.8 million cases of flu, 959,000 hospitalizations, and 79,400 deaths.5 Conversely, an estimated 7.1 million illnesses, 109,000 hospitalizations, and 8000 deaths were prevented as a result of flu vaccinations.1,4,5

In the next flu season—from October 1, 2018, to May 4, 2019—the CDC estimated that between 37.4 million and 42.9 million individuals in the United States contracted flu-related illnesses, which led to between 531,000 and 647,000 flu-related hospitalizations and 36,400 to 61,200 flu-related deaths.6 Interim estimates from the US Influenza VE Network for the 2018-2019 flu season indicate that the overall estimated effectiveness of the flu vaccine at preventing flu associated with attended acute respiratory illness was 47%.

Flying to Phoenix this Friday and I’m not worried at all. Bring on the sun and golf!

I’m flying to Florida twice in the next month and California later in April. I’m not worried and am certainly not going to cancel our plans for spring break over Covid 19. I won’t be getting on a cruise ship anytime soon.

My wife and I are taking a trip to Austin next month to visit some friends and corona isnt something that Im worried about. Youre just as likely to get it anywhere else as you would be on a plane and you cant do much about it either way, so why worry about it?
IMO, much of this about corona is overblown. You are still much more likely do die from the flu or from any of the other of myriad of things that could kill you than you are from corona. I plan on living as normal and not worrying about it. If corona gets me, then I guess thats just my destiny. 🤷‍♂️

Put me in the minority i guess...couldn't pay me to get on a domestic flight right now. I'd prefer the virus come to me vs going to find it!

Sadly, I do need to travel to CA this weekend and I'll be driving. Probably overreacting but oh well. 75% chance I would have driven, even if the world was normal.

I’m generally not worried about travel and Corona Virus.

I hate allgiant usually but $65 to Vegas, I think I am due a long weekend 😈

I’ve been trying to talk my wife into traveling now. $43 to Orlando, $66 to Fort Lauderdale, and $71 to Chicago are crazy cheap prices.

My son jumped on the Fort Lauderdale price as he and some fraternity friends are flying down on Monday.

Put me in the minority i guess...couldn't pay me to get on a domestic flight right now. I'd prefer the virus come to me vs going to find it!

Sadly, I do need to travel to CA this weekend and I'll be driving. Probably overreacting but oh well. 75% chance I would have driven, even if the world was normal.

I will make sure to cough around you on Sunday.

If my wife wasn’t in a high risk group (Autoimmune Disease- Lupus), we would be all over taking a trip...

Not one to live in fear so any flights I have booked personally I'm taking still (first one early April).

Now work banned flying unless "essential" so I won't argue with that as I've been traveling a lot lately.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If I had the time I would take advantage of it.

Heading to Atlantis in late April and have my ticket booked for the Titleist Vokey Exp. I’m going and not worried.

Not traveling at all. Just had to cancel a 2-week trip to Israel for the end of this month and now have 2 weeks off from work, but cannot bring myself to travel. Working in the medical field, my hospital is strongly discouraging all travel at this time and there's a chance that if I travel, I would have to self-quarantine after I came back which is not ideal.

Honestly, it's not really about me having significant symptoms from the virus, it's about me possibly contracting the virus and then spreading it to others. More people should think about it in that way, IMO.

My girlfriend asked me to fly with her to Asheville, NC in May, and I’m still planning on going with her.

If it was just me I’d probably take advantage of cheap flights and travel around domestically a bit. However with the wife about to give birth to our son any day now, I’d never risk his health by traveling these next few months.

I travel regularly for work and am currently at an airport waiting for a flight. Frankly it doesn’t worry me too much I feel this is like the flu and if I get it I will be fine. I will feel like crap for a few days but then will be okay. I do have customers that are limiting visits so my travel will likely be dropping. Both of my kids colleges are shifting to online for the foreseeable future. I think it is a severe over-reaction but I understand that if one kid happens to die from this (which I think is tremendously unlikely) the ramifications would be huge. The colleges don’t force flu shots and I know kids are getting the flu on campus one of my daughters good friends had the flu.

Long answer for I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I would probably not get on a cruise ship or travel internationally but other than that I would travel if I wanted to.

my wife is a pharmacist. she is supposed to go to Disney this weekend with my kids, and stay in a hotel with another mom and her kids. I asked her if she was still going to go, and she said yes. She said she is not concerned. she is the doctor in my house, so I defer to her judgment. although she did say "yes" and married me, so her judgment is questionable.

Just flew into Austin from Chicago today. Many medical masks and people wearing gloves today. I'm not letting it stop me, but I definitely did clean my seat well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back