Is putting part of short game or its own thing?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have always thought short game was short game and putting was putting. Does short game include wedges and putting in your mind? Just wedges? Explain.

Last edited:
I don't think of putting as part of "short game". To me it's less than full swing shots into the green - pitches, chips, bump and runs, flops, "chutts", etc. Putting is entirely its own game/nightmare.

To me it is anything with a partial swing or putting. All the wedge shots.

Get good at pitching, bunkers, chipping (you those of us that aren't scared to chip), putting (when to use putter off green is part of that), flops, etc. Everything.

Does short game include wedges and putting? Just wedges? Explain.

Anything inside 100 yards, putter included. When I go and practice my short game, I spend time on full swings, 3/4 swings, 40-60yd shots, then around and on the greens. It's probably more fun to just go and hit balls with longer clubs after all of it

• Admin
To me it is anything with a partial swing or putting. All the wedge shots.

Get good at pitching, bunkers, chipping (you those of us that aren't scared to chip), putting (when to use putter off green is part of that), flops, etc. Everything.
I have always thought putting was putting and not included in short game 🤷‍♂️

Anything inside 50yds or so for me. It's totally unscientific (i mean why not 100yds)...but that's just in my head how i see it

80-90 yds i can still make full swings with a 56 or 60---So full swings are not "short game" to me

Anything inside 100 yards, putter included. When I go and practice my short game, I spend time on full swings, 3/4 swings, 40-60yd shots, then around and on the greens. It's probably more fun to just go and hit balls with longer clubs after all of it
I love practicing wedges, can occupy myself with it for hours. So much room for creativity and so many different things to try, I think it's a lot more fun than beating balls on the range. I can only handle putting practice for so long, it's boring by comparison and also my back can only tolerate so much of it before it starts protesting.

Putting is its own thing. Different skills, different stroke, different approach. Short game is its own thing, seperate from iron play.

Short game excludes putting for me. Putting is putting.

Short game to me is short pitches, chipping and putting.

I have always thought putting was putting and not included in short game 🤷‍♂️
Well tell that idiots that putt on the short game practice area instead of the putting green. That means its all the same right? :ROFLMAO:

Putting doesn't count as short game to me.

When I think of short game I think of pitching, chipping, and punching out.

I include it when talking about my short game. Being a strong putter helps make the short game stronger. But I can have a good short game, which I feel like I do, but I don't capitalize on it because I have been in a season-long putting funk.

Interesting take. short game starts with putting in my book.

I love practicing wedges, can occupy myself with it for hours. So much room for creativity and so many different things to try, I think it's a lot more fun than beating balls on the range. I can only handle putting practice for so long, it's boring by comparison and also my back can only tolerate so much of it before it starts protesting.

I can also do that, but my wedge divots are a bit deeper than my regular full swing divots, aaaaaaand it's noticeable.

I'm in the camp that it is its own thing. I think the short game is off the green and putting is on the green (yes, I understand it can be the fringe etc).

Driver for me is Tee'd up. Then I look at Irons until it's within 100 or so, then I think wedges then once it's on the green I think putting. 4 different sections of the game - a very simplified way to type it out.

I vote putting being it's own thing.

But I'm curious what practicing irons is considered for you? You're just practicing your...*what* game?

I just see a lot of words so I'm going to take that as a sign of disrespect.

I'd say putting is it's own thing. There are a lot of ways to get it done putting, but the short game requires certain fundamentals that can't be ignored.

I'm with you that I always categorized short game as anything off the green with wedges that's less than a full swing. Putting has always been it's own category of play to me

Back