Is Rickie Fowler Still The Face Of Cobra/Puma?

Out of anybody? I'd say the most marketable is Justin Thomas: personable, heck of a talent, and will always be there on the weekend.

Could you imagine if Bryson did what JT did and had a fan thrown out of an event for heckling him?
I think JT is a heck of a talent, but he looks too much like a normal white bread golfer and doesnt seem to have a ton of charisma. My opinion of course, but I am not sure JT would move the type of gear that some of the others will overall.

But with that said, let's say JT is at the top, Bryson has to be in the conversation. He is the longest, he wins, he is young, speaks well, uses social media, converses with fans, and does it while be polarizing.

Rickie is what I think of when I think Cobra Puma, maybe more so in the past. Loud colors appealing to the younger crowd.

Bryson is what I think of when I hear the direction that Cobra is going. More focused on the tech (not that they weren't before) and getting results. They step out of the box to deliver OL to the masses. They want to be the best, and beat the best.

I think having both is great. Rickie is relatable, relaxed, and more in tune with the trends. Bryson is the mad scientist who hones his craft, regardless of what people say. Exciting things happening on tour for Cobra/Puma, and I see it continuing!

Just my viewpoint but i would think Rickie is still the face and likely will still draw the casual golfer to Puma apparel and is the face I would put on box sets and posters for the brand.
Bryson's approach to equipment likely has a larger effect on the hardcore golfer or equipment junkies and the people who are always looking for a swing change.
Seems to me Cobra/Puma has a pretty good combo for marketing right now. If Rickie wins it could get even better!

Last edited:
Could you imagine if Bryson did what JT did and had a fan thrown out of an event for heckling him?
I think JT is a heck of a talent, but he looks too much like a normal white bread golfer and doesnt seem to have a ton of charisma. My opinion of course, but I am not sure JT would move the type of gear that some of the others will overall.

But with that said, let's say JT is at the top, Bryson has to be in the conversation. He is the longest, he wins, he is young, speaks well, uses social media, converses with fans, and does it while be polarizing.
I just don't see Bryson moving a lot of equipment. I could be wrong, but nothing that he's doing right now makes me want to switch drivers.

I just don't see Bryson moving a lot of equipment. I could be wrong, but nothing that he's doing right now makes me want to switch drivers.

Right, but you have made it pretty clear that you can't stand him.
Think about the golfer that is either in the middle or likes him. He is the longest guy on tour and wins.
Is JT hitting it a long way making you crave to change to his driver? Or Cam Champ?

The flip side would be a guy that is always on TV, hitting it that far and talking about his equipment, HAS to speak to the golfer. Its what companies have wanted forever, and outside of Phil, nobody ever talks about their equipment.

Why? He's bombing it long AND fairly straight for all that power. Is it because you don't like him? or you just don't like change?

When I consider equipment purchases I'm more interested in what Bryson is playing/testing/etc. Rickie is average, if even a little short, when it comes to tour level club distances, so I could see him being more relatable to the average golfer. But when I think of Rickie, what comes to mind is childish neon clothing colors, high tops, and joggers. In other words, nothing that I see people actually wearing at golf courses. I'd start thinking I was out of touch if the majority of golfers actually wore that stuff. The same could be said about Bryson's hat, but at least he's wearing it as an homage to the past and not trying to push it as a fashion trend. I put that more in line with what Payne Stewart was doing with his clothing choices.

I like both Golfers and they're marketable in their own way. Love Rickie's Farmers Insurance commercials. Love Bryson and Tiger's Bridgestone Golf Ball commercial.

In terms of equipment? I really don't know the sales of One Length, success or not, but I love the concept and idea. I walk up to a Puma Store and see Rickie and Usain Bolt, I don't see Bryson, so like most people say, apparel to Rick. Clubs? I dunno, I'll defer to people who know more about it. But I think Cobra/Puma has to be happy they have both guys under their umbrella.

We know you hate OL but even besides drivers, isn't it hard to ignore him moving that entire segment?

Rickie who? :cool:

As of today. Rickie is number 2.. But, if he has any kind of success he will instantly be back on top.

As of today. Rickie is number 2.. But, if he has any kind of success he will instantly be back on top.

Agreed. Although he’ll need to win big because he won’t have the massive physique story or the leading driver distance story or the brilliant scienctist story or the...etc

Winning obviously isn't the #1 factor in the game of golf. I still think Rickie is the face, regardless of his wins because of his personality and likeness. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. Although he’ll need to win big because he won’t have the massive physique story or the leading driver distance story or the brilliant scienctist story or the...etc

I dont think it needs to be a big win. Or really a win at all. If has a few weeks of solid performance and even top 10s. He will be the talk of the town. I mean, he already is featured every week he plays on PGA tour live..

I dont think it needs to be a big win. Or really a win at all. If has a few weeks of solid performance and even top 10s. He will be the talk of the town. I mean, he already is featured every week he plays on PGA tour live..
Fair enough, but I think he'd also be battling Bryson's trajectory as well. if Bryson keeps winning, hard for him not to be the face in the absence of wins for Rickie.

Fair enough, but I think he'd also be battling Bryson's trajectory as well. if Bryson keeps winning, hard for him not to be the face in the absence of wins for Rickie.

That is true.

If Cobra/Puma is smart -- I think they are very smart -- Rickie is no longer THE face of their brands. He's now A face along with Bryson. DeChambeau may not be the optimal hat guy for everyone, but for apparel and shoes, he has star power, perhaps more now than Rickie. Rickie's youth engagement was somewhat unique but has to be waning year by year. He's not the new guy on the block anymore. And with Bryson the opportunity bar is high. He's going to win more majors unless they find a way to stop him. I think Kraken shoes would be smart: designed for the big swingers.

If Cobra/Puma is smart -- I think they are very smart -- Rickie is no longer THE face of their brands. He's now A face along with Bryson. DeChambeau may not be the optimal hat guy for everyone, but for apparel and shoes, he has star power, perhaps more now than Rickie. Rickie's youth engagement was somewhat unique but has to be waning year by year. He's not the new guy on the block anymore. And with Bryson the opportunity bar is high. He's going to win more majors unless they find a way to stop him. I think Kraken shoes would be smart: designed for the big swingers.

Rickie, Bryson and Lexi are a damn good group. If you took Phil away from Callaway, I'd say Cobra a second behind TM, because you can argue with that staple.

Why? He's bombing it long AND fairly straight for all that power. Is it because you don't like him? or you just don't like change?

I used to despise him, but Bryson is growing on me and does seem like a decent guy. I realize all of these PGA pros are not very comparable, but Bryson's swing and style is even more difficult for the average golfer to replicate. I cannot watch his drive and successfully hit the ball in the fairway with distance.

Spoiler
Perhaps I just need a 48" driver! ;)

Rickie's youth engagement was somewhat unique but has to be waning year by year.

I disagree. The kids on the course and range that are in their teens tend to look far more like they are trying to be Rickie than Bryson. Maybe that will change after the US Open, but it hasn't yet.

I disagree. The kids on the course and range that are in their teens tend to look far more like they are trying to be Rickie than Bryson. Maybe that will change after the US Open, but it hasn't yet.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The good news for Cobra is that they have Rickie and Bryson. Good pair.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The good news for Cobra is that they have Rickie and Bryson. Good pair.

Muscle Milk missed a huge opportunity with Bryson!

Successful or not, Bryson is a bit too weird to be the face of the brand. Rickie still moves apparel. Maybe Bryson will move more equipment if he continues to win though.

Successful or not, Bryson is a bit too weird to be the face of the brand. Rickie still moves apparel. Maybe Bryson will move more equipment if he continues to win though.
I disagree. The man love of the announcers for the Bryson physique was bordering on the creepy. :love:
Bryson is a freak of nature physically speaking right now. He can transform the "image" of what a golfer is, and should supposedly be, much more than Ricky at his competitively diminutive stature. There is a constant "better" bent to eveything in marketing and society right now, and a hulking golfer is like some peoples' ultimate dream. Bryson does more to move product and agendas already with what he is doing and moving forward. And he's actively involved in all of this marketing, he's smart.

Back