Is the delay in Pro Golf starting a benefit to some?

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Just thinking about how the delayed season could actually be good for Tiger and maybe Jordan Spieth.
Tiger to heal whatever was up with him before the shut down and Speith to figure our how to play again.
Do you think any others might just be better off?

I’m sure all pro athletes have benefited from this substantially in regards to health. I’m sure lots of guys have had a small nagging issue and with a little extra time their happy. I mean I would think..

No Tiger fan here, well wishes to all other PGA players. :)

Scott Stallings talked with TXG and said this has been his longest break in his 10+ years on tour.

Some things he has taken this time to do:
Adjust to 1" longer driver (previously played 44" driver)
Try the new SM8 wedges since he still plays SM4s

Also hes spent a lot of time with his family.

From that things I'm taking away:
1. I'm expecting new equipment for a fair amount of people.
2. I'm expecting a lot of guys who had nagging injuries to heal up. Koepka probably is swinging better now and DJ as well. Tiger might be able to play a fuller schedule.

I'm not sure if any yips will be gone. Spieth I'm not sure will be able to find something for off the tee....

Im sure that it has helped some because the golf season never really ends, what with the PGA Tour's wraparound schedule. Like others have said, its given Tiger sometime to heal up and other a chance to dial in their game after taking the holidays off.
For all of these pros, they have ways that they can still practice during this off time, so theres really no reason why their games should be rusty. Its just going to be a matter of getting back out on the course for some practice rounds when everything starts to open up, so that they can take it from the simulator and the practice green to the course.

I think it depends on whether the golfers are pacticing or not... The field may be more competitive if everyone was staying sharp on their skills...

A lot of guys have mentioned the strain of the schedule, so this should definitely help guys fighting injury or trying to get fitter/bulk up.

I feel the extra rest will assist Tiger in the longer term. Hope it will lead to more majors but I am concerned that if it’s cold for the masters he may struggle - always think he struggles with the back in the cold.

Really hard to say. It depends on how they use the time and if they have the ability to practice effectively.

I think anyone would benefit from this break whether its mental or physical

I'm thinking it'll be obvious which players took their time off seriously and honed their games and which players didn't.

I'm thinking it'll be obvious which players took their time off seriously and honed their games and which players didn't.
True. I think it will also be obvious who benefited from the time off to recover from any injuries they were nursing. Tiger is the obvious case, but Koepka was still nursing his knee, I believe Justin Thomas was still feeling his wrist injury, and probably a few others.

I'm kinda interested to see the effect it has on Jordan Spieth - whether it gave him time to get some things figured out, or if he just went deeper down the rabbit hole and made things worse. I hope the former, I like him and would like to see him back on top of leaderboards again.

Jack Nicklaus credited the Ohio winters with helping hims develop into the player he became. At the top amateur or professional skill level a 2 or 3 month break can be good for the golf game.

I think maybe Bryson might be the opposite, more time to get into his own head.

Hoping Brooks comes out of the break healthy and ready to compete

Not sure about Spieth. Sad what's happened to his game. In talking with buddies in Dallas who have played with and been around him, he seems like a great young man.

It will benefit some, but I bet Leishman, Hideki, Webb Simpson, Xander, JT, and some others who were dialed in and looked to be heading to a big year are not excited about it. How do you think Matsuyama felt walking away from a -9 on Thursday of The Players Championship with a $2.7 million check for the winner that week?

I think Speith putted consistently great from his junior days on thru his first few pro years.
The past couple of years, missing putts got in his head and that affected his tee to green game.

Yeah, bet it helps out most players starting with the 2 you mentioned and Keopka.

I thought Rahm was on his way to becoming world #1 after a long stretch of good golf. Wonder how this break affects him

I think anyone would benefit from this break whether its mental or physical

How are you holding up, Captain Cabin Fever? 😂

Players with injury and health stuff yes, I think it’s good. Also the break from traveling probably helps.

How are you holding up, Captain Cabin Fever? 😂

Players with injury and health stuff yes, I think it’s good. Also the break from traveling probably helps.
Well net and mat are due to arrive tomorrow so its possible I will be able to at least take a few swings here and there which will help my sanity.

I think Speith putted consistently great from his junior days on thru his first few pro years.
The past couple of years, missing putts got in his head and that affected his tee to green game.

I thought is putting was back last year but I could be wrong. He definitely needs to drive the ball better.

I thought is putting was back last year but I could be wrong. He definitely needs to drive the ball better.

Speith has never had what most Tour players do, which is very sound fundamentals. Spieth's mechanical technique has always been a bit unorthodox, which means he is a little bit more dependent on rhythm and timing that the majority of Tour players.
Know that one of the primary benefits of sound fundamental technique is that this actually promotes reasonable good tempo and timing.
So, the reason that Speith's ball striking has suffered is mostly because he is not swinging with the same rhythm and tempo as he did during his younger days. Often when a Tour player's game goes south he/she starts looking for answers from different people including instructors, other players etc... and this process usually makes the situation worse.
Specifically, once a player starts making mechanical position changes this typically results in "thinking about mechanics" and at that point the swing's rhythm and tempo gets worse and worse.
Beginning with his junior days Speith has never had especially sound fundamental technique. Instead he has relied on rhythm-tempo. It's too late for him to change his technique now. Some unorthodox technique players, such as Trevino and Couples, were successful because they accepted their technique and focused instead on maintaining good effective rhythm and tempo throughout their careers. I think for Speith to start competing well again he will need to do what Trevino and Couples did.

Anyone recovering from an injury or surgery will benefit from the break.

Back