Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

• Yes

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 52.5%

• Total voters
Awesome!!!
Careful, you just said they are the best. That is a bold statement and someone may have to set you straight that some wedges may be better for other people.

Really? Actually what he said was that they are the best wedges HE ever played! A little different from your choice of words.

Awesome!!!
Careful, you just said they are the best. That is a bold statement and someone may have to set you straight that some wedges may be better for other people.

Note he said "Best I've ever played." Big difference.

A perimeter weighted cavity back often doesn't go clunk when you miss the sweet spot.

Kevin

Last edited:
Seriously? Because a more forgiving club will minimize the damage on shots that do not hit the sweet spot. There is a reason that cavity backed irons and perimeter weighting is used now. Its really simple if you think about it.
Oh, so the "sweet spot" is bigger...ok
I dont see forgiveness on 10 to 20 yard shots being worth as much as what I feel is gained from a club that is built in every way to benefit you on those shots. Call me crazy. A slightly more forgiving club isnt going to help when you chunk a chip shot.

Actually, he said "I've played just about every wedge out there and these are the best wedges I've ever played. "

Oh, so the "sweet spot" is bigger...ok
I dont see forgiveness on 10 to 20 yard shots being worth as much as what I feel is gained from a club that is built in every way to benefit you on those shots. Call me crazy. A slightly more forgiving club isnt going to help when you chunk a chip shot.

Okay, please show me where I said that?
There are many reasons why a blade wedge is not better than a cavity wedge for golfers that struggle around the green.
Sharper leading edge can promote fat shots
Thinner topline offers less forgiveness on heavy shots
Less mass behind the toe and heel offer less forgienvess
MOST wedges are not only used just for 10-20 yard shots and golfers of all skill levels are using them to fill gaps now on full swings.

There are many reasons why they can be great wedges in the right hands, but there is no best and perfect stick for every golfer.

Really? Actually what he said was that they are the best wedges HE ever played! A little different from your choice of words.

Note he said "Best I've ever played." Big difference.

A perimeter weighted cavity back often doesn't go clunk when you miss the sweet spot.

Kevin

No, I said they are the best wedges I've played. :)

Thanks, JB.

Actually, he said "I've played just about every wedge out there and these are the best wedges I've ever played. "

I believe that is what we said. He said they were the best HE ever played.

Thanks again JB and Esox.

Lester here's why for ME: the lob wedge, for example, has a wider flange therefore is more forgiving out of heavy rough and the sand. Also, I can open up the face from a tight lie and hit a flop shot. The grooves have a nice bite to them and the ball will spin.

Sorry to go off topic.

Okay, please show me where I said that?
There are many reasons why a blade wedge is not better than a cavity wedge for golfers that struggle around the green.
Sharper leading edge can promote fat shots
Thinner topline offers less forgiveness on heavy shots
Less mass behind the toe and heel offer less forgienvess
MOST wedges are not only used just for 10-20 yard shots and golfers of all skill levels are using them to fill gaps now on full swings.

Ha! I just wrote almost the same thing, then thought, oh hell, JB is faster than me, so I copied it, and came back and there it is. The sharp leading edge thing can be a killer for some people. Makes a nice clean divot when you get in there fat behind the ball, though. Those toe and heel shots from 100 yards that go halfway there because it's a blade really help keep the score low, too.

Kevin

I said yes because it's what I beleive.
I don't beleive the style it is makes a difference to me.

Reactions: JB
Stupid Lester, I don't understand why quoting yourself is necessary. It's not really all that pertinent to this thread. We all have differing opinions on things. Sean's current wedges are what's best for him, I'm not Sean, I don't know why that they are. JB or Esox aren't Sean either. If you want to know why his current wedges are best for him, then perhaps you should ask him via a private message.

Ha! I just wrote almost the same thing, then thought, oh hell, JB is faster than me, so I copied it, and came back and there it is. The sharp leading edge thing can be a killer for some people. Makes a nice clean divot when you get in there fat behind the ball, though. Those toe and heel shots from 100 yards that go halfway there because it's a blade really help keep the score low, too.

Kevin

Yeah comparing the two is just not there. They are completely different clubs and there is no way to call one style the best for all golfers. One offers maximum versatility and the other offers maximum forgiveness (in that package).

The sweet spot on every club is the same size. No matter what make or model. When you refer to the 'size' of a sweet spot its merely the area around it and how it reacts to mishits, but not the actual size of the actual sweet spot.

(please correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think I am)

Percentage wise, what is the size diffence of the sweet spot on a 56 degree cavity back wedge vs a CG14?

IMO, its still a pitching wedge. Stronger lofts dont change that fact.

Kevin

LMAO.....rarely do you disappoint.

It doesnt look like a wedge, most dont have the loft of a wedge anymore, it doesnt play like a wedge but, it does look like the rest of the irons in the set, most have the loft of a iron (under 47*), and it plays like a iron so, no its not a wedge it is just a 10 iron.

Even tho the standard set of clubs nowadays have pretty much dropped out a 3 iron and added some type of gap wedge the standard pw is still a wedge in my eyes. Even if they have dropped the loft a little on some. Today the irons are so amped up a 8 iron hits like a 7 iron a 9 hits like an 8 and so on. If it says p or pw on the head its a wedge in the companies eye

It doesnt look like a wedge, most dont have the loft of a wedge anymore, it doesnt play like a wedge but, it does look like the rest of the irons in the set, most have the loft of a iron (under 47*), and it plays like a iron so, no its not a wedge it is just a 10 iron.

You mean it doesnt look like a blade wedge. Because even my sets back in the 80s had wedges that were cavity backs. To me that is like saying that Burner 2.0 irons dont look like irons because they have a cavity back.

You mean it doesnt look like a blade wedge. Because even my sets back in the 80s had wedges that were cavity backs. To me that is like saying that Burner 2.0 irons dont look like irons because they have a cavity back.

Well its 60% to 40% in favor of Yes its a wedge so looks like it is in fact a wedge lol

I can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. But its not a blade with a small sweetspot!!! Hhahaha.

Well its 60% to 40% in favor of Yes its a wedge so looks like it is in fact a wedge lol

Lol. But its not a blade with a small sweetspot!!! Hhahaha.

i never said it had to be a blade with small sweetspot but just with the strong loft and only 1 loft/bounce option is why i dont really consider it a wedge, but i cant argue with the poll results lol, ITS A WEDGE lol

i never said it had to be a blade with small sweetspot but just with the strong loft and only 1 loft/bounce option is why i dont really consider it a wedge, but i cant argue with the poll results lol, ITS A WEDGE lol

There are many blade options that have this same "issue". many offer the same lofts and minimal bounce options available in set wedges.

Back